1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bought a new truck

Discussion in 'General' started by Banditracer, Dec 7, 2022.

1. Used2befast

Used2befast Well-Known Member

I agree. My tranny tune saved the issues lots of folks have had. Throw a Texas speed cam and a new set of lifters/springs in that 6.0 and you'll be hootin n hollerin like jed clampet:D

iagsxr likes this.
  2. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Yep. Greenbow, AL.
    E89E55C1-6384-41ED-82AC-A115A507068D.jpeg

Gorilla George likes this.
  3. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

More than likely the hood of one….

4. Circacee

Circacee Well-Known Member

Bought a 2000 Silverado with a 4.8 LS (160K miles on it) and it was the best little truck ever, popped a radiator but it ran close to 300K miles before I sold it for dirt cheap to a driver of mine, his kid used it for high school.
    Purchased a NEW 2017 Sierra Z71 4x4, it was a piece of shit. The 5.3/8 speed was a terrible, terrible combo. Transmission Caitlyn Jenner'd itself and blew up. Lost a lifter, tons of AC and electrical issues and it leaked from the rear sliding window. Shit was trash, I lemon lawed it.

Now I own a 2006 Silverado with a 5.3/4l60. It's my favorite.

I also own a 67 C10 Stepside with a 6.0 LS/4L80. That shit will be my forever truck. These new trucks suck, glad you found an older one in decent condition and didn't pay the COVID/Uncle Biden tax.

ducnut likes this.
  5. Used2befast

It's so true...buyer beware after 2007.5 on the chevy/gmc 5.3l V8 trucks with the active fuel management system (v4 mode). I think I'd be inclined to look for a 2007-2013 2500 with the 6.0l engine. Bullet proof engine and chassis.

My 2010, I've yanked that v4 junk out and updated the tranny control. 1 radiator and a AC refresh every 2 years. Plastic dash makes me grumble more than anything these days.

6. Some of these mileage numbers are almost unbelievable.

I’m sure the answer is “it depends”, but ballpark figure…about how many miles can a vehicle go?

7. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Way longer than you'll ever own it. :Poke: :D

8. Haha probably.

And :moon:

:D

9. Used2befast

IDK I would still have my 03 quadsteer if my daughter hadn't plowed a F250 econoline van:( i miss that truck.

It was right around 240k but 500k+ easy with synthetic oil changes.

10. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Apparently, nice ones are still around. A member on another forum gave $15K for this ‘02 with 89K.
    33DB8635-7302-428C-91C5-C68550C06631.jpeg

11. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

[​IMG]

Gorilla George likes this.
  12. Used2befast

15k :eek:Nice...don't care for that color but its a great truck. Mine had cab lights and lights on the back flare like a dually.

13. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

That has both. I’m guessing, the width required them, back in the day.

14. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Remember in 1997 when Ford redesigned the f150 ?

My customer still has his and drives it daily to work, 4.6L, has 490 on it. Great taxi cab and cop car motor.

Best part is AC has never been recharged. And even better he's been using 15-40 semi truck oil (the wrong oil) for most of its life cause free drums of it at work. Add on top of all that it idles a solid 3 hrs a day in the winter on site.

15. “Has 490 on it”……meaning 490,000 miles? :eek:

16. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Good lord, just how do you guys keep the rust at bay? My '95 K2500 has a never die motor/transmission but I'm afraid it will one day just turn into a pile of rust with the motor sitting in the middle.

17. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Good lord, just how do you guys keep the rust at bay? My '95 K2500 has a never die motor/transmission but I'm afraid it will one day just turn into a pile of rust with the motor sitting in the middle.

18. Used2befast

That's a good old truck...for that generation the 4.6l Ford and 4.8l chevy engines are peaches. I had a 99 chevy with the 4.8. I've seen these engine guys re-cam that thing and get 500 hp on the dyno. It's just a short stroke 5.3l (88 vs 92) with 243 heads.

I think the only recall I've had on my 2010 is the Takada air bag inflators. My stupid ac leaks real slow:rolleyes:

Circacee likes this.
  19. Used2befast

Is there an echo in here?o_O

Pretty much no rust here in Texas...I grew up in Ohio and the salt on the roads will mess a truck up.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2022
  20. Letitsnow

Letitsnow Well-Known Member

If you have any interest (and don't already know about it) there is an active forum for these trucks - gmt400.com.