1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

06 GSX-R 1000 Header

Discussion in 'Tech' started by gixxersmitty, Dec 5, 2022.

1. gixxersmitty

gixxersmitty Well-Known Member

I’ve got an 06 GSX-R 1000 that I’ve had sitting for a while. I highsided it the last time I raced and it landed on the throttle side, crunching the can. I’ve been putting it back together and bought a used Yoshimura slip on exhaust. Problem is, it seems like the stock header might be warped from the crash. Seems like it is pushed towards the front wheel. If I slide the slip on all the way onto the header, the mounting tab for the mid pipe is downward and too far forward. It’s like I suspended the bike overhead and pulled down on the end of the header until it tweaked. Anyone ever seen a header distort like that? No dents or dings, but something is off.

2. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

It is possible. I had same bike and headers bent backwards in crash (opposite of your).

gixxersmitty likes this.
  3. gixxersmitty

I looked at the midpipe that was on it, and the mounting bracket was ripped loose at the front and peeled back towards the back of the bike. That indicates that the header shifted in the direction I think it did. I posted a wanted ad for another header already. I was hoping to avoid buying a replacement but it needs to be done. I’d say when it landed on its side, it flexed that exhaust tip into the ground and shoved it forward as it slid.

4. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

May want to check frame after that high side. They had weak spot behind head.

gixxersmitty likes this.
  5. gixxersmitty

I already replaced the frame. It’s how I got to this point with the exhaust. Got it swapped out and started reassembling to figure out the exhaust isn’t lining up. I chucked the old slip on and picked up a new one. New stuff isn’t fitting back. Would have figured the frame first if I hadn’t replaced it. Header is sitting too close to the oil cooler as well. When the bike slid, it ground down one of the welds between the spar and the neck casting. I wasn’t going to chance it. Picked up another frame with the recall already done. Appreciate the suggestion on the frame. Most would overlook it.

6. jasonhise

jasonhise Well-Known Member

If you need it I have an 06 GSXR 1000 set of head pipes. Came off my old GSXR 1K when swapping to a full Leo Vince. Shipping may suck but that's the only charge to pay. 24467 is my zip code.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  7. gixxersmitty

Sent you pm. Really appreciate it. Helps me out tremendously.