1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pitbull restraint mounting

Discussion in 'General' started by prospected, Apr 28, 2019.

1. prospected

prospected Well-Known Member

Guys, I just picked up a new Pro-Line 6x10 V nose enclosed trailer and ordered 2 PitBull TRS's from STG. Does anyone have a mounting schematic on the measurements to have both bikes (R1 & 1299) side by side in transport? I was hoping one of you all have done the homework before I started measuring myself. Thanks in advance!

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You can put them as close as you like based on the bar width so it'll vary depending on preference in the setup.

BigBird likes this.
  3. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

This is in a 7x16 v.

I have 4 of them installed. I mounted the left side 6" from wall and the right side 6" from the left TRS. That gives me 4" between clipon and wall and about 4" between both sets of clipons. Also gives me 20" on the right side for generators, harbor freight rolllerbox, etc.

Since yours is 6' wide, i would just mount them 6" from each wall. That would give you about 6" between the bikes at the clipons. I don't know about long ways though. Depends on where you're going to put the rest of your gear/tools/etc.

trs.JPG trs1.JPG trs3.JPG trs4.JPG

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
  4. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

does your trailer have a side door?
    On mine I have 70" between the interior walls
    The plates are 2' wide exactly.
    Ran them 5" off each wall w/ 10" between the plates.
    You also may want to chalk where the axle is on your trailer to help decide final location.

Keep in mind each bike is gona take up ~18-20' of floor space... leaving not a whole lotta room when they are loaded.

5. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

You need atleast 6” between the plates to keep from banging bars.

6. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Make sure you back the mount with metal on the bottom.

Razr and Phl218 like this.
  7. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

tape out the trailer dimensions on the garage or driveway floor, place bikes where you want them, once happy, place the plates. then transfer the measurements, and plates to the trailer. DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN THE PLATE RETAINER BOLTS! you will mushroom the spacers, and then you will have all sorts of binding issues with the holders. Ski

Razr, Pride & Joy, ducnut and 2 others like this.
  8. Phl218

Phl218 .

That or a 2x4 on the underside

BigBird likes this.
  9. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

10. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Thousands of miles with the washers on the bottom side that come with the restraints never had an issue. Torque the bolts to what PitBull recommends, Check them now and then and fuhgetaboutit.

11. BigBird

BigBird blah

That's true. I just bolted them down to the plywood in my 5x8 trailer and they were solid.

12. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Its just being lazy really, you don't strap stuff down for the everyday haul you strap it down for the eventuality of needing to swerve or brake heavily. Your logic is about the same as people that don't use safety chains. Then mount two bikes in the same general area without reinforcement.. Crazy...

ducnut likes this.
  13. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Interestingly I have had to do both so your argument holds no water. Carry on.

BigBird and sbk1198 like this.
  14. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

My next trailer will be 8-1/2’. There’s so much more room, without increasing length.

When you impact something and your mounts rip from the floor, you’ll think otherwise. I’ve seen many loads slammed into or through the noses of trailers, over the years. The best example of why you properly reinforce mountings is the one trailer flipped on its roof and the bikes hanging from their TRS restraints.

15. Riders Discount

Riders Discount 866-931-6644 ext 817

As long as you have a solid floor you shouldn't need to use anything but washers. There have been multiple people flip their trailers and the bikes end up hanging upside down from the TRS.

16. prospected

prospected Well-Known Member

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Mounted them up last night. I used a few of your recommendations and they went in nice!

Razr and TLR67 like this.
  17. BigBird

BigBird blah

1669412786340.jpg

G Dawg and TurboBlew like this.
  18. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

pit bull now makes backer plates that mount on the back side, that mimic the edge/end of the mount plate. these distribute the pressure more than just washers. Ski

MELK-MAN, puppet and BigBird like this.
  19. RichMangus

RichMangus Booya

You can mount them offset from each other so you can get between the bars of the bikes

Razr and MELK-MAN like this.
  20. spcassell

spcassell Well-Known Member

Alright, finally bought a legit trailer. 44' Vintage w/ bathroom (thank God). Looking to install nine (9) of these on the floor. My question revolves more around the plates on the floor without the bikes in the trailer. We will be using the trailer for family camping as well and it appears that the mushroom screws on the plates would play hell on your toes in the dark. Could probably resolve this issue with a couple area rugs over the plates but would like some personal experience regarding such. Was also looking at the Bolt-It-On crossbar setup since they are completely removable once boondocked. Would take more time but no bloody toes. I'd be using ratchet straps on the crossbar though.
    Bolt-It-On.jpg

Razr likes this.