1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a new handgun...lets talk guns today. :D

Discussion in 'General' started by Kris87, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

I'd say the 44 will win.
    I know what Clint Eastwood would say about the 44 mag.

2. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

Hard to compare as they are each happiest with different bullet weights. The 44 is able to handle a much hevier bullet. I think both will get the job done, with the 10 pushing a lighter bullet faster.
    Personally, I like a heavier larger diameter bullet and prefer the 45 Colt to the 44 mag.

speedluvn likes this.
  3. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

Search Gavintoobe on YouTube. He's one of my favorite reloaders. He answered this very question just a few days ago and did a great synopsis, gel tests and all. Short answer, 44mag is way more powerful. Longer answer, 10mm way more capacity.

speedluvn likes this.
  4. Why is there not a striker fired 44mag with 10-15rnd capacity? We need a Sig P320 X-FOURTYFOUR. :D

Surely the polymer guns can handle it.

Nick_OMC likes this.
  5. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Five minutes before I was coming off the hill I spotted this one. Had to drag the damn thing a quarter mile. I'm too old for this shit.

[​IMG]

RonR and Razr like this.
  6. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

Only about a quarter that came out . We are overrun
    [​IMG]

RonR likes this.
  7. Saiyan66

Saiyan66 Stand your ground

I believe you are talking about a Desert Eagle my friend. Although the capacity still isn't quite there.

Gorilla George likes this.
  8. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Heads up .22lr guys- Targetsports has 40 grain Mini Mags at $360 for 5000 rounds shipped. Just ordered one to get me to a Broomeworthy 10K+ round stash.

9. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Or Automag, Clints second favorite gun. I'll bet GG will have one of these by the end of this weekend :D

Gorilla George likes this.
  10. I start to get nervous if I get below 30k. :D

11. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

I know your just too polite to ask for help but brother I’m here for you!

StaccatoFan likes this.
  12. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

Yeah they are a huge problem in the US. Over a billion dollars in damage yearly with no signs of getting better. They multiply much faster than hunters can keep up with. I’ve been trying for a couple years in NC to land one but it just hasn’t worked out. I got one with my bow a few years back , weighed about 120 and I ate it. My wife said she didn’t like it.

Sabre699 likes this.
  13. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

From what I’ve seen, those things are terrible. Eagles are neat though. More of a novelty in my opinion. But neat.

14. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

Got more this afternoon that were too heavy and had to drag them off with a truck

15. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

Having to base my preference entirely off evidence provided by other people, I think I like the idea of having more capacity, given that shot placement on grizzlies is apparently so critical. Might take 10 rounds to get that one placed correctly. Some of the dudes I follow also go with 10mm as it’s comparable in stopping power to the .40+ rounds but with the higher velocity, penetrates bear hide better. Vs something like a .44mag which might punch harder but not penetrate enough to get the job done.

but honestly it’s all just a anecdotal. I haven’t yet found significant ballistic research of round effectiveness against bears. :crackup:So to each their own.

16. kenessex

My personal experience with brown bears has not involved actually shooting one with a handgun, although I have twice been in the situation where I had mine out, ready to shoot if I hadn't been able to get out of the situation safely. Once with a 1911 in 45ACP and once with the Blackhawk in 45LC. In neither case did I feel like I had enough gun, but I was salmon fishing at the time and didn't have a rifle or shotgun on me.

17. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

My understanding is that hard cast rounds like Underwood 200g are pretty gnarly. It’s what I carry in my G20. It’s not .44 Mag level but we don’t have grizzlies where I’m at, so I’d rather have 16 rounds in a very familiar manual of arms vs. 6 rounds in a hand cannon.

18. Saiyan66

Saiyan66 Stand your ground

I just pay someone to stand next to me with a .375 H&H magnum while I fish!

Sabre699 likes this.
  19. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

Go look up the video I previously mentioned. The 44 mag penetrated WAY more than the 10mm. Knowing what I know, if I were in grizzly country, I'd be carrying my 460. In the smokies? A 10mm will do just fine vs a 200lb black bear.

20. kenessex

I have a 375 Ruger.