1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I get some advice on a track bike?

Discussion in 'General' started by DBN123BIKES, Nov 22, 2022.

1. bergs

bergs Well-Known Member

Learn how to ride before you start piling money into suspension or other bikes.

I agree with the folks saying keep the SV. See about getting the ergos set up to your liking and keep in mind it's pretty much always going to feel cramped to some degree.

Make sure the clipons aren't swept too far inward. That one detail could make all the difference in the world.

No matter which bike you're riding, it's going to require time and effort in order to get everything dialed in.

Seems like you have a great mindset so you're already ahead of the game in that regard.

Best of luck and enjoy!

2. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Keep the SV...especially if it's clapped out.

Razr and TurboBlew like this.
  3. Michael Hausknecht

Michael Hausknecht Well-Known Member

You haven't specified how the existing ergonomics don't work for you but, like others, I'd encourage you to make adjustments to the location of the pegs, levers, and bars. I'm a bit older than you and still racing, so let me encourage you to improve your physical flexibility and core strength. When I was in my thirties and forties I didn't need an exercise regime to ride effectively. Now I do and it makes a huge difference.

4. WillMill

WillMill CRA MN #633

Have you weighed yourself in full gear? You might be closer to that 200lbs than you think.

5. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Regarding the availability of race bikes for sale, it's still pretty early. Some people put up their race bike for sale as soon as the season wraps up. Others don't bother until sometime in the winter, when most people are actually shopping for the next season. Keep monitoring classifieds here and wherever else you have been looking.

6. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

I would reach out to some SV racers in your area and get some help and advice in person. Who on here races in the Northeast and can help this guy out? It is a great way to make some connections and get set up. They can also get you started on racing rather than wasting your time and money on track days.
    Stick with the SV.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  7. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

My 0.02 is this:
    Keep the SV and mod it and get it set up just for you. Of all the bikes I’ve either owned or had considerable amount of track time on, it was my buddy’s SV650 that made me smile the most and flat out enjoy my sessions the most.
    Sure, my R1 and R6 were faster, but that SV made me so happy each time I got to ride it.
    SV FTMFW!

Banditracer likes this.
  8. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

He should definitely try to experience a bike with properly setup suspension.
    Have a friend that loosened the purse strings to have a lil Ninja 400 done proper... its telepathic.

9. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

If I do this again, that’s the plan for me. Although @motion said he will still kick my ass on a stock sprung Ninja 400.

TurboBlew and motion like this.
  10. gixxernaut

gixxernaut Hold my beer & watch this

As an SV owner I have to agree with pretty much everything that has been said here. The stock forks and spring on an SV are crap when it comes to track riding, but if you get them stiffened up properly it's a very fun bike to ride. An SV is also considerate enough to offer you plenty of warning when you're overcooking it, vs other bikes I've ridden that unceremoniously dump you on the ground and then laugh while they roll through the gravel trap, flinging plastic and other parts in every direction.

vfrket, jasonhise and cbush like this.
  11. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

:crackup:

cbush likes this.
  12. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

FIFY.

13. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

That’s what you get for buying fancy smancy spaghetti monsters Chris. :D

dobr24 likes this.
  14. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

I'm also in the "build your SV" crowd. Very popular and easy to have fun on. You're halfway there now.

15. DBN123BIKES

DBN123BIKES Member

Thanks for all the great advice people!

I am going to stick with the SV.

I agree that it makes sense to get more seat time before making a decision.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

HPPT and ToofPic like this.
  16. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Good call, they're pretty bullet proof. Check out some SV specific forums for plenty of info.

17. johng

johng Member