1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best, Moderately Priced, Garage Floor Treatment?

Discussion in 'General' started by YamahaRick, Nov 21, 2022.

1. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

I'm moving along with my home renovation project. Soon, the garage interior will receive a fresh coating of paint.

The concrete slab was painted previously, but is in sad shape and needs to be refreshed. It also has a few cracks that I doubt I will try to fix.

I do not need anything fancy, just suggestions on how to prep and what paint product to use. Color will most likely be a light gray.

TIA.

cha0s#242 likes this.
  2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Simple green, water and a stiff bristle brush. To prep.

old formula motorex brake cleaner for oil and tough stains but finding that stuff is next to impossible.

3. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Short of grinding it, nothing non-commercial will last more than a year or 2.

TLR67 likes this.
  4. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Xylol and Xylene will break that old paint away, wear a respirator. Then degrease it. A solid color concrete stain will last much longer than paint. I would at least try caulking the cracks, that black shadow line makes it look nasty. Lowes and HD sell Sika brand caulks and sealants for masonry/concrete now. The stain will cover the caulk. If you clean it and you're happy with the floor's texture, then stain it, if you don't like the surface you can grind it but that grinding will show in the stain. You can polish away any marks but that's a lot more work. You can topcoat it :D $$

You can get creative if you like, a different colored border, checkers, 6' wide Chevy bowtie emblems right inside each of your 4 doors!

CBRRRRR999 likes this.
  5. kyle carver

kyle carver Well-Known Member

15 years ago I coated my shop using TNEMEC, other than the spot where I dropped a vice it still looks great. There’s probably only one dealership per state. If you need help locating one let me know. They mostly deal in paint for water tanks.

6. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Plus, no matter what is already there, the results will only be as good as the previous guys prep. If you aren't going to bother doing it right, then don't bother at all.

7. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

IMHO, just get it grinded down to remove all the old stuff and then seal the concrete.

I'm as perfectionist as they come, but for some reason a garage floor looking like more like it belongs in a hospital operating room just doesn't sit well with me.....it needs to have character.....and "memories."

BigBird, Circacee and TLR67 like this.
  8. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Like the others said above,
    Clean it up, scuff it and just re-paint with a garage/floor paint. It wont last too long.
    Do the above and coat with box store epoxy kits...maybe a little better than paint
    Grind it off and do it right.

9. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

If you grind/polish to a flat smooth surface, add some anti slip like Sharksgrip. It's invisible and will last as long as the stain/paint, and cheap.

10. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Sorry my man. If you’re going to do it, do it right. I did the box store Rustoleum epoxy shit when we first bought our house. It didn’t last for shit. Finally pulled the trigger last year on getting it professionally done and there is just ZERO comparison between the two. Worth every damn penny.

11. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Fuck Paint... Fuck Stain.. And the real Epoxy is too friggin much... Polish the concrete and be done....

some guy #2 likes this.
  12. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Rick You can rent a concrete grinder for maybe ~$200-250 for a day. A normal 2car garage will take a few hours to grind off crappy paint. then you can start fresh with whatever you want. A decent 2k epoxy or aspartic is ~$100-150/gallon. If you dont do a full chip, or any chips, you dont need a topcoat so you save money there. So 3-4 gallons for a 2 car garage is maybe $400-500 in coating. Add in another $100 in misc supplies, rollers, gloves, brushes etc and you can remove the old paint, prep the concrete and coat with a good 2K for less than a $1,000 and a weekends worth of work.