1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do you keep your thermostat set on in winter?

Discussion in 'General' started by joec, Nov 22, 2022.

1. joec

joec brace yourself

In other words, what temperature do you like your house/apartment etc in winter? 68f here. Thats 20c for the Canadianans or 293 kelvin.

boxcrash likes this.
  2. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

68F during the day, 66F at night.

All the females in my family think it's because I'm cheap, but joke's on them - I'm just fat.

henry_carlson, zjay, ToofPic and 6 others like this.
  3. boxcrash

boxcrash Loading.....Please Wait

About the same, 65-68 *F. Small house, 1500 sq ft, electric heat. Sometimes use those infrared space heaters in rooms farther away from the thermostat. Attached garage has a heater as well, since my 14 yr old lab pup sleeps out there. Insulated main door. Stays around 55-60 in there. Plus I have Supercorsa's on wheel stands so those do not like anything below 40*F (I think that is right off top of my head)

4. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

66 during the day...64 at night.

5. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

72 always. What are we- animals?

YamRZ350, stk0308, exracer941 and 6 others like this.
  6. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

I've got a combination wood / oil furnace so when on oil, spring and fall, 70 during the day when somebody's in the house, down to 60 if nobody's home, 65 at night. When the wood's going it's a constant thing to not get it too hot, opening the door for temperature control is a common occurrence.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2022
    boxcrash likes this.
  7. BigBird

BigBird blah

During the day, and I'm WFH 72-73F depending on outside.

When wife is home 74F-75F; and at to sleep 69F-70F

8. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

9. tl1098

tl1098 Well-Known Member

64 day and night,put a sweatshirt on.Ima try and save the planet all by myself.:crackup:

BigBird likes this.
  10. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

68f and 66-64 at night.

11. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

62F day
    60F night

I'm cheap
    I do turn it up when i have guests though.

12. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Slight tangent ... the master bedroom in this house does not receive sufficient heating/cooling relative to the rest of the home. It probably is the furthest vent from the furnace. Would an inline fan help? Is there a tool that can help me determine how much more air flow is needed? The one limitation is the ductwork in buried under a lot of loose insulation (R40), so it would be hard to see if there are any pinch points.

Is "duct cleaning" really worth it? This is a 30+ year old home.

13. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

My wife sets it between 70-75 depending on her mood. Almost always turned off at night. At my office 69-72

14. thunderalley3

thunderalley3 Well-Known Member

72 day and night unless it gets really cold outside, like down in the 50's then it gets bumped up to 74.
    We have to keep the "puppies" warm.

15. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

NO. Some of the quotes Ive gotten were more than it cost to replace the duct wotk.

BigBird likes this.
  16. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

Shop I keep at 58. House 69-70 when we are home and 65 overnight

17. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

joec likes this.
  18. Saiyan66

Saiyan66 Stand your ground

68 degrees in the living area and 66ish in the bedrooms for sleeping.

19. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

No it isn't. We just did a full HVAC replacement (dual fuel system with heat pump/gas furnace) and I asked the question should I get it done before the new stuff goes in. The dude said absolutely not because they usually poke holes in the duct work and you never know, and also its never as dirty as the commercials make it sound.

Sure enough, when they had it all apart I looked in the intake duct where it connects with the filter housing (where you'd expect the most debris) and it was incredible clean. This is on a 20 year old house.

As for the OP, 67 during the day and 64-65 at night. System drops to 62 while we're away from the house. Looking forward to the first months analytics from the Ecobee t-stats too :)

YamahaRick likes this.
  20. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

That’s easy, thermostat is turned off and the windows are open

Sabre699 and gixer1100 like this.