1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mountain Bikes!

Discussion in 'General' started by Trainwreck, Jun 9, 2020.

1. Sudowoodo

Sudowoodo Error 404: Skill not found

Good to know about the woman's bike frame making that big of a difference. We found a bike for her to borrow this weekend, so we'll see how that goes and go from there. We're in flat boring Florida, so not very tempted by the E-MTB route yet.

cBJr and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  2. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

usually how my local shop sells E bikes... first to the wife then the husband a week or 3 later! :D

cBJr and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  3. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

What trail(s) have you picked near Helen? Some are not very beginner friendly... or even intermediate friendly LOL!

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  4. thrak410

5. Sudowoodo

Looking at one in Unicoi State Park as it's just a few miles from our Airbnb, but it may be a bit much for us. Upper Hooch Loop is another consideration and seems a bit more laid back.

I just watched Canyon's video on that. Would love to try it out. I'd think it would make it a bit more like riding a motorcycle with a stronger self centering force. One of the big things I had to get used to when I started mountain biking was the tendency for the front end to just entirely fold pretty easily. But then again, being able to feel the front end starting to fold and correct it is a pretty translatable skill to racing and has helped me a lot on track.

6. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Haha, makes sense. We were in Florida a few months ago. Our friends brought their bikes down from Georgia, and I rented my wife an electric cruiser and I used the condo's beach cruiser. The last day of the trip my wife talked me into renting an electric bike for me, since I couldn't keep up with her electric when I was pedaling.

7. thrak410

https://www.singletracks.com/bike-trails/unicoi-state-park/

upload_2022-11-8_21-12-46.png

That last climb looks pretty brutal LOL!! I wouldn't take a beginner on that.

Sudowoodo likes this.
  8. Sudowoodo

9. thrak410

Sudowoodo likes this.
  10. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

Of course you know you have to pedal them still but I find I pedal just as hard as a normal bike but I just get to go faster/farther with my efforts. You also don't blow yourself up on them so you aren't tanked after a ride. Not to mention my buddies and I that have them just giggle like idiots because of how fun they are haha!

cBJr likes this.
  11. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

like ol Ed Bargy says... mechanical advantage. :D My LBS is quite the "social scene" on weekday evenings & Saturdays. Its been around forever and they are the ONLY shop that does actual repairs at the Beaches. It gets so much foot traffic that its impossible for the mechanics to be able to complete a job without interruptions to make a sale or help a customer. Then they get mad when someone comes in hmmms & haws... then decides to "no buy" them... It seems to happen with alot of good looking young females...lol
    The owner is the consumate salesman though... he will walk right past the good looking younger woman using her looks to get a discount and help an older man or lady with deep pockets for a whale of a retail sale.

12. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

Where in Florida? I'm a Giant/Liv dealer here and my better half is a riding coach. She also runs a women's MTB group with well over a 1,000 members, hosts lots of events and group rides from beginners up through expert riders.

https://allaboutbalancemtb.com/

She has the usual FB, IG also. For what it's worth, she rides a medium Liv Intrigue and also has a Liv Tempt.

Hope that helps out!

Sudowoodo likes this.
  13. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

Some near Dawsonville, Dahlonega, Gainesville, and Haw Creek Park near Cumming has nice, rideable trails. Call Bike Town USA, Trek dealer in Gainesville for more specific information. All 3 of them are MTB'ers, and their shop is close to where you will be. 770-532-7090

Sudowoodo likes this.
  14. Sudowoodo

Pensacola area, so pretty far from you guys. It seems like the general consensus is Liv makes good bikes for women though?

We'll check them out. Thanks!

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  15. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

Oh man yeah that's a haul! FL should start around Tallahassee, Pensacola is too damn far to be considered lol. The Liv stuff is good, geared specifically for women so frame geometry etc is a little different from the Giants. Most every bike is good nowadays really, everything is dialed in pretty well.

Speaking of Tallahassee, they have a great trail system in and around Tom Brown Park. No idea what's around Pensacola? If we're that far from home that direction we're up at Barber and riding Oak Mountain most likely.

16. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

Pinkbike and some other outlets have tested it already, apparently it's impossible to ride no handed because the front wheel doesn't stay under you.

This stuff has been tried in the past and it always failed.

[​IMG]

Sudowoodo likes this.
  17. Black89

Black89 Well-Known Member

Loving this trek rail. 4500ft 18 mile ride today. Just clicked over 1000 miles.
    Sad to see the nomad go. It is a fantastic bike but upgraded to the new Megatower.

Attached Files:

Seiko likes this.
  18. thrak410

Thats not the same as the canyon one, but regardless, why would you be riding an enduro trail no handed? lol

19. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

It's more that you always have to keep pressure on the bars because the spring is working against the inherent self steer forces from the mechanical trail.

It's basically the opposite of a steering damper, instead of keeping the steering in place, it's forcing you to counter steer harder to stay upright. Yeah it's rideable, not sure why you'd want that though...

20. thrak410

That doesn't make sense... there's 2 springs in that system not 1, and the design is supposed to help stability by putting a centering force on the steerer. You turn left and the spring on the right stretches which tries to pull the bars back to straight. If there's no steering deflection both springs are in a neutral state. I do see the issue riding without hands as the wheel naturally swings slightly L-R as you pedal, but you'd never do that out on the trails.

Its not the opposite of a damper, its a completely different solution attacking a totally different issue.

I'd like to try it and see how it feels. It may suck or it could be helpful. I really don't know what you mean 'counter steer harder to stay upright' ....