1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's this in my oil?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by derrickhackman, Oct 16, 2022.

1. derrickhackman

derrickhackman Well-Known Member

This just came out of my bike: 2019 RSV4RR with about 2700 miles and last oil change was about 300miles ago (race bike only) and the oil has been changed every 300 miles with Motul Factory Line 300v 5/40 and a fresh oil filter. This is non-magnetic so it's not crank or bearing. It's highly polished and looks like Aluminum. It does have a radius and looks like it covers a cylindrical piece of something in the engine. Thoughts? Bike runs fine and doesn't make any odd noises and I have have the oil inspected by Blackstone Laboratories several times and it's all-clear. Anything to worry about?

IMG_2177.jpg

2. zitoune

zitoune Active Member

Piece of aluminum seal from oil bootle?

3. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Only places would seem to be where a shaft rides without a bearing...starter idler gear or something simple stupid like that. Worse case scenario is it's coming from a cam tower, meaning you're about to wipe out a cam, the head and any collateral damage that ensues further down the line. Pull your valve covers and look for similar pieces of debris that may not have made their way into the oil pan.

4. derrickhackman

Thanks guys ... I think I will run the bike at an upcoming trackday and change the oil directly afterwards and if there is more metal bits in there I will tear off the valve covers and take a deeper look. This is the first piece of non-magnetic metal that has showed-up. Perhaps it's from the inside of the oil cooler .. that's made of Al. Good grief ...

5. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Saying it's "highly polished" was what lead me down the "load bearing" road. Trying to figure out where a piece that big was coming from kinda narrowed it down.
    It is possible that it may be residual flash from a casting that didn't get fully cleaned up, but I don't know from where that may have occurred. Maybe off the clutch basket?

6. derrickhackman

Thank you for the help .. from others who have looked at the material they are also calling it machining 'swarf' from the casting process etc.. Apparently it's not uncommon to have swarf dislodge even thousands of miles into the engines life. Will keep an eye on it for sure nonetheless!

fastfreddie likes this.
  7. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Piaggio at their finest.....

8. backho

backho Well-Known Member

Swarf usually refers to debris from machining. That piece looks like a nub that broke off from the cases. It may have been cracked during assembly and finally fell off. I highly doubt if it’s anything to worry about.

ducnut and derrickhackman like this.
  9. derrickhackman

Thank you backho!