1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gym junkies - workout routine building/resources

Discussion in 'General' started by redtailracing, Sep 27, 2022.

1. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

So I've been back in the gym for just shy of a year now. Been feeling pretty good about my progress but ready to take my workouts to the next level. I spent my first couple months building a routine, figuring out how much I should be lifting for each exercise, etc. Every 2-3 months, I may make a minor change to one routine to drop a certain exercise that I don't feel is doing much and replace it with something else but for the most part, my routines are pretty consistent.

But I'm starting to get to the point where I feel I'm training my muscles to only work one way but I lack the knowledge and creativity to come up with alternative routines that retain the balance I've found with my current ones. I know there are 100s of different services and subscriptions out there but my biggest hangup is all the ones I've found are based on the premise of releasing new material on a regular cadence so every day is something different. Some people like that but I prefer the measurability of consistency. So I'm looking for something that's either much fewer, but more well rounded workouts that I can alternate between every 6-12 weeks or something that acts as more of a guide for building your own well balanced routines.

Eventually, I'd like to just get a personal trainer to work with but currently, my gym time is my lunch break and the time and days I can make it to the gym are not always consistent.

2. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

@Gorilla George is presently typing up his thesis. Grab some water and protein bars. It’s gonna be a LOOOOONG one. :crackup::beer:

Shenanigans, Gorilla George and RichB like this.
  3. HPPT

HPPT !!!

[​IMG]

4. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

don't work out then air fry some cheese sticks because you just discovered what an air fryer was and how good it makes the frozen junk food aisle taste.

I've got to put this thing away

5. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

You’re just looking for a resource for info? Stan Efferding has videos with any possible info you would need for free on utoob. Maybe I missed it, but what is the ultimate personal goal here? Make sure you nail that down within yourself first.

Gorilla George likes this.
  6. redtailracing

Thanks.

As far as goals, never been my forte. That said, it kind of works for me. All I want is to see improvement. There's no end game. I just want to be better tomorrow than I was today. For example, my chest & tri routine starts with a basic bench press. Currently, I'm pressing 185 10x2 and then my 3rd set so far I've only managed 8. I know, weak. But it's an improvement over where I started. My next goal is to get 9 reps on my third set. Once I've done that, my next goal will be 10 across all 3 sets. Then up the weight 10 lbs and start again.

Periodically, I will take a step back and tell myself "fuck the goal, focus on form today," as I know it's easy to let form slip in the pursuit of more weight/reps. So I'll agonizing slow and controlled on my reps for that day, do what I can, accept it, and then that becomes my new baseline to improve upon.

britx303 likes this.
  7. britx303

1st and foremost don’t worry about impressing anybody here with those weights you are working with. It’s all good man, nothing to be ashamed of unless you are sitting on a couch eating potato chips all day…..and clearly you’re not, so you’re already earning your PR. 2nd, if you want to move more weight that’s going to really come down to how you eat and rest. Best thing I could say without seeing your diet, is add some calories to breakfast. Not just on lifting days. Every day consistently and approximately the same amount +/-. A training shakeup that I’ve always utilized was instead of a typical back/bicep split and chest/triceps……….do heavy back/light triceps one day followed by heavy chest/biceps the next day. 3rd day off. 4th day lightback/heavy triceps. Day 5: light chest/heavy bicep. 2 days off for recovery. Repeat. This type of shakeup can help bust a plateau.

Gorilla George likes this.
  8. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

Im not even going to bother, because this. :crackup:

however, I will say that having training routine intervals will help the issue, but a big overlooked part of the equation is the optimization of your body chemistry/biological process, sleep cycles, and nutritional intake. All play as major of a role in breaking PR’s.

JCW and Gorilla George like this.
  9. pfhenry

pfhenry Well-Known Member

alter rep and weight per lottery standards... also angle of the ...

bodybuildinging.com had great info when we had dial up AOL.

10. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

More protein, like egg whites.

JCW likes this.
  11. Fuckers. :crackup:

Ok, before I start, please define "Improvement". We need to start there.

By "improvement" do you mean bigger numbers? Are you going for strength and looking to set PR's?

Or by "improvement" do you mean body composition? Do you want to be bigger, more defined, and basically look better?

Because while there is some "carry-over", meaning training for one result can give a little results for the other, I can assure you they are two very different programs. Depending on which one you are trying to achieve, everything from your workout routines, to eating habits, to rest periods between sets, to cardio, to supplements...will all be different.

12. :stupid:

IMO that applies to everyone, regardless of what their goals are. A good breakfast with protein, complex carbs, and some fats is important.

I eat the exact same thing every day.

3 eggs over-easy with a slice of Cheddar Cheese and a little tabasco sauce for flavor
    Cup of oatmeal with 1 scoop of BSN Syntha-6 Vanilla Ice Cream flavored protein, 2 tablespoons of peanut butter, and 1 tablespoon of honey
    Glass of Fairlife milk
    20oz of water

That's about 60g of protein to start the day, plus some complex carbs and fats. I have eaten that every day for as long as I can remember.

gixer1100 and britx303 like this.
  13. Daniel06

Daniel06 Well-Known Member

Muscle and strength .com has some good free resources. The workout plans are free and categorized. Some are years old programs but they work. Find the plan that works for your days in the gym and goals. Do the plan, then after that plan pick another plan or repeat the same one. It spoon feeds plans to you. It's free but you have to read through plans to find the one you like.

14. redtailracing

Thanks all for the input. Definitely will reevaluate my breakfast.

Current supplements include fish oil and vitamin D with breakfast, whey protein shake with breakfast if I worked out the day before, preworkout 30 minutes before lunchtime workout routine, creatine and beta-alanine during workout, whey protein and BCAA capsules after workout with lunch, casein protein shake at night with dinner on workout days.

One thing I know I need to get better about is having my protein shakes even on rest days.

15. redtailracing

What do you mean?

currently, chest and tri day includes flat bench, decline bench, incline dumbbell press, flat dumbbell press, tricep extensions, dips, machine flies, incline cable flies, flat bench flies. And I try to arrange them in such a way that doesn’t have the same muscles working in a similar way back to back, e.g. bench, tri ext., flies.

is that what you’re talking about?

16. britx303

Food over supplements and shakes.

17. redtailracing

So long term, if I had to set a reach for the moon goal, it’s all centered around functional strength for me with a hope that a lean build comes with it. I’m currently 6’3” 225 and happy with my weight, just not happy with how it’s distributed. Eventually I’d like to be able to perform the Murph challenge in full (20 lb. weighted vest, 1 mile run, 100 pull-ups, 200 push-ups, 300 squats, another mile run) and be able to do 3x10 benching my own body weight, squatting twice my body weight, and curling half my body weight.

britx303 likes this.
  18. redtailracing

That’s awesome. Thanks man. I’ll look at this later when I’m at my computer but that sounds exactly like the type of resource I was looking for.

19. As a general rule, I tend to agree. But IMO shakes have their place. I aim for 210-220g of protein a day, but I don't have a big appetite. I just don't/can't eat a lot. And I really don't feel like eating anything immediately after a workout.

Without shakes, I would struggle to get the protein I want, and when I want it, on a daily basis.

Gino230 and britx303 like this.
  20. britx303

Honestly you need to lay out your daily eating routine, the good and the bad. You will be hard pressed to make good functional lasting gains without doing so.