1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

why do so many men NOT know how to punch

Discussion in 'General' started by gixer1100, Sep 22, 2022.

1. BigBird

BigBird blah

After a night out, my cousin got a tire iron to the head trying to diffuse a fight between his friend and someone else. A few weeks in the hospital, and missing part of his skull, playing protector/peacemaker sometimes you end up with the most damage.

Gino230 and A. Barrister like this.
  2. HPPT

HPPT !!!

lrrs195 likes this.
  3. Evad101

Evad101 Well-Known Member

e

True story, I met Boy George back in the early 90's when I was a bouncer in the bay area (Club called the Edge in Palo Alto, CA if anyone was around there) This was during his Hare Kirshna phase. He's actually a pretty tall dude. Tried handing my buddy a rose backstage when he was leaving. Buddy didn't know what to do so BG turned to me and said, "What, he dont like roses?"

Anyway, I've been in a scrape or 2 during those bouncing years. Cant say I am good "boxer" but I will take you to the ground. Back then at 310lb, I'd take you to the ground to restrain you. And me landing on you, it didn't feel good and once I had you on the ground, I could and might have hurt you really bad.

I was smart and capable enough to know how to use my size effectively.

4. Booger

Booger Well-Known Member

Spot on with the stamina remark. That’s what I’ve really lost with age. In the fight from a couple months ago I was gassed 90 seconds in!

5. definitely not a cat

definitely not a cat Well-Known Member

IMO if anyone really wants to know how to defend their self they should get some training. Most people don’t know how to throw a punch because they’ve never done it let alone practice it.
    There aren’t many things more humbling than your first time sparring at a Muay Thai or boxing gym.
    It’s great for fitness too. Nothing motivates you like get punched in the face or kicked in ribs.

gixer1100 and KneeDragger_c69 like this.
  6. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Yeah, I've lost track of how many hockey fights I was in, but most of them were comical at best. Nobody ever dropped gloves in our league so it would consist of punching a helmet with a glove, and 9 times out of 10 you toasted with the guy at the bar after the game and had a big laugh.

Last real fight I was in was in my Coastie days. We got a new E4 at the station and he was real cocky for no reason in particular. He and I were in the coxswain rotation, and the rule was when your duty was over, each of us cleaned the boat for the next crew. Well, he refused, said he doesn't clean boats. I simply said dude, clean the fucking boat, it how shit works here. He told me to fuck off. He was also rated higher than me so technically he was my superior, even though we were both coxswains. So I went to the CO and explained what was going on and the CO says to me (I shit you not) "beat his ass". OK sir, I have your permission? He gives me thumbs up! (he didn't like the guy either, and my CO was from KY).

Next shift change I get on the boat as he's coming off and said dude, clean the fucking boat! He told me to fuck off again, I gave him a shove, he took a weak swing and I hit him square in the face. Ali would have been proud. And that's all it took. Classic bully move, tough guy until he gets smashed in the face. God damn boat was like new every shift change after that.

Waterboy, gixxerboy55 and Wingnut like this.
  7. Circacee

Circacee Well-Known Member

I got socked in the face in 7th grade by a bigger kid and cried. Once he found out, My best friend at the time beat the living shit out of the kid that socked me, I was amazed to see how he handled it. He was short but man Gio could throw hands. My Mom found out and immediately placed me in boxing training in East LA, with some of the meanest and grumpiest trainers ever. Shit was good for me, I learned that no matter what, you're in the fight until you give up. I've used my training a few times over the years but nowadays, people are quick to pull a gun.

My daughter has been boxing since she was six and now at 14, she stands at 5'10(her mother and I are pretty tall). She's shy and usually passive but last year, she had enough of a certain group of girls that would make fun of her friend that was born with a shorter limb. She stood up for her, herself and smacked two girls around pretty easily after they got in her face. She's an all-star student so the admin team was pretty shocked it happened and being that school was almost out for summer, she was placed on Admin Help (filing papers and shit) over being suspended. I'm proud of her and asked her how she did it.. "I put all the power in my hip" Love that kid.

8. KneeDragger_c69

KneeDragger_c69 Well-Known Member

That's pretty good considering that most of my students, are almost gased out after 60sec of go-go-go on the bag hahaha

Nothing more eye opening then doing a hardcore training on a bag and realise that if you ever get to go toe-to-toe with someone, ya best doing it with in the first 60sec. of the fight

gixer1100 likes this.
  9. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Shit- I can't throw a punch (probably) and I'm not a millionaire... am I even allowed to post on the BBS?

10. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

You can make up for those shortcomings as long as you’re a 7th level bencher or bangin’ pron stars…………:D

11. Tristan

uhhh...what else ya got?

britx303 likes this.
  12. rcarson15

rcarson15 Well-Known Member

Beating Parrish at Barber on a twin?

BigBird and Phl218 like this.
  13. Tristan

If only anyone cared about club racing... but thanks for noticing!

BigBird and Phl218 like this.
  14. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

Throwing down in Florida is an invitation to become ventilated in short order, hell I suspect a high percentage of mom's on a Publix run are packing.

The Todd and Phl218 like this.
  15. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Who let the poors in?

My only training was with a kid nick named Rocky whose uncle owns a boxing gym. He taught me how to get all the power from the ball of my foot through my fist. I figure I have one good punch before I get the shit beat out of me.

rd400racer likes this.
  16. Jed

Jed mellifluous

I figure all the guys with waist packs or the shoulder sling packs are packing.

17. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

Haven't found occasion to fight in two decades, but I'm a 5'8" former rugby player. If we were fighting, I made sure it was going to be on the ground asap.

Mick6R and noles19 like this.
  18. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

My only hope would be to end it with the first 2 punches, or else I'm toast lol. Unless I really absolutely had to, I rather not take that gamble :D. If it goes to the ground I'm even more fucked. I was always better on skates, less so on feet, and completely useless on the ground. I got the absolute shit beat out of me in grade 9 by a guy that took me to the ground almost right away, and I didn't know enough to quit.... Stupid reasons to fight too, as it was nothing other than his older brothers and cousins grew up fighting my older cousins, and it was our turn now. Stupid small towns....

There is no honor anymore either in a street fight, and I'd have no shame or remorse throwing a sucker to end a situation that needed ending that way. Gone are the days of squaring up and shaking hands at the end over a beer. My buddy said he thought about suckering the guy on his way past him to get to me (it was well past the point of engagement at that point), but I didn't have my fists balled so he didn't start swinging lol. I could see the from this kids body language that his mouth was getting him in a situation that he was not prepared/capable of getting out of. Running his mouth all around like a sprinkler head leaving so many opportunities for engagement. Either that or he just thought I would be a complete fat powder puff pushover (probably not wrong lol). Either way it wasn't worth him calling a bunch of buddies to come down and escalate the situation in the parking lot. You're more likely to get stabbed or shot afterwards by someone who can't let it go. As we were coming off 18 I half expected those kids to be waiting for us in the parking lot with a few buddies, as we were the last groups playing that night, but they were gone. Good. Our little small town isn't what it used to be, with big city problems creeping in, and more and more gang violence in the neighboring schools. You just don't know what you're getting into and it's simply not worth engaging anymore at all.

A couple high school kids got shot at a house party out here a few months ago, and prior to that if you heard of a shooting out this way you'd ask how big the rack was. It just doesn't happen out here, but now it does I guess. :(

I'm not making a claim I was ever a big scrapper, or a particularly good one. Probably 50/50, and less than 15 actual square up scraps/bar fights, not counting grade school dustups on the playground, or hockey bouts :D. Beat a few tough guys, but got my ass handed to me by "lesser ones". My older cousins did a much better job of holding up the last name, which unfortunately put a target on my back for a few guys that wanted to fight a Dubeau. Truth be told I was more of a nerdy jock than a tough guy. A lot is luck in the first couple of punches. Don't wait, make em count. Probably less than a quarter of those fights were for any good reason at all. Most were just alcohol and testosterone fueled because that's just what you did. I had a couple really tough buddies, and few more really mouthy ones, and a lot of the bar scraps I got in, were related to that.....

19. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

I try to never get into a fight.

But if I gotta do it, I'ma fight like I'm the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark, and, brother, it's starting to rain.

{I saw that on a t-shirt... seems like reasonable life advice}

Rebel635, The Todd, beac83 and 3 others like this.
  20. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

Got into an altercation following a road rage incident when an asshole passed me on the right and cut me off real close when I was waiting in line to pass a slowpoke doing 90 km/h in the left lane on the highway. Then did it again.
    Anyways, we both got out of out of our cars (which was a mistake) and I was really pissed off. Short black guy with an attitude. After I told him to stay right where he was, the guy kept coming towards me and when he was within reach, I felt the electric impulse through my right arm but decided to hold it back. I got too much to lose now and my son was waiting in the car, terrified. You never know if the guy is going to fall down and hit his head or something... the consequences from a simple punch might quickly excede what you expected, and I got enough shit to deal with. I'm amazed I had time to think of all that and use my head and I'm glad I did. But sometimes I really wished I punched that motherfucker...

Last edited: Sep 23, 2022