1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intro to BJJ

Discussion in 'General' started by ryoung57, Nov 13, 2017.

1. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

I'll play. Mladin never won 60 races in a row. Gordon is the best grappler of all time, period. There's not even an argument for anyone else. He's Rossi, Stoner, and Marquez wrapped into one.

Yeah, he doesn't compete in the gi yet, but does anyone doubt he could win worlds today?

2. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

I kinda meant the dominance combined with the bad attitude, not just dominance.

3. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Yeah you may be right about that. Gordon is a really good dude and is known among his peers as a genuine guy and phenomenal training partner. His public persona is really just self promotion which is very good for the sport. I don't know Mladin, but it seems evident that his dickhead attitude was strategic more than anything.

I was pumped for the Ruotolo bros also. Kade was unstoppable and Tye winning absolute bronze at maybe 170 lbs is bananas.

SteveThompson likes this.
  4. six6two

six6two AWD

MAN...... that part. What a loss.

I'm curious how OP's journey has unfolded looking back... also... do you high level guys really think BJJ is viable if you're just looking to be able "win" a street fight? If so, have you got MMA or any other martial arts experience?

5. six6two

six6two AWD

And fwiw anyone looking to get started with hopes of learning to fight should definitely learn some wrestling first.. all the submissions in the world won’t do you any good against an opponent that can consistently control your cg and defend takedowns… see Nicky Rod.

Oh yeah… Hayes>Mladin:cool:

6. KneeDragger_c69

KneeDragger_c69 Well-Known Member

I strongle advise to never take a street fight to the ground. Street fights often imply being faced against many opponents... well one and his friends> So if you take the over hand, they'll jack you up.:confused:

six6two likes this.
  7. SteveThompson

I have a lot of experience kickboxing and I wrestled as a kid. I still think BJJ is probably the best overall since you get SO MUCH practice. I don't think too many of us are going to end up in a street fight like you see in the movies. It's more likely to be a drunk guy at a restaurant who jumps on you or something. Or maybe somebody has jumped on someone else and you need to pull them off. In those cases jiu jitsu is super helpful. It's very good for controlling another person and not hurting them or yourself.

Even with my combat sports experience, I would go to great lengths to not get in a fight. It just doesn't make sense. You want my lunch money... here, you can have it. I'm also 150lbs and 50years old, so that doesn't help. I do have a lot of confidence that if someone tried to hurt me, at a minimum, they are going to get hurt too.

JBraun, KneeDragger_c69 and six6two like this.
  8. six6two

six6two AWD

As a white belt, I couldn't agree more!:crackup:

I went in thinking I'd be safe on the street if I could earn a legit purple belt... but man.. now I don't think that could be further from the truth. There are guys at my gym that can end me in a minute who beg to differ, though.

Renzo Gracie was just attacked on camera by some dopehead that got tired of hearing his portugese in a New York subway. I couldn't help but think the whole time that he was a soccer kick from another stray crackhead away from no longer being with us. Either way, it's a mad world.

9. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

That's always been my position. Boxing was my first love, followed my Muay Thai and kickboxing. I'm still enthralled by striking sports, but the reality is that you can't train full speed very often. I can have absolute wars for six rounds in BJJ and walk out without damage. I don't think there's any substitute for that intensity.

I laugh when uninitiated people criticize BJJ because "you don't practice striking". Okay fine, but you don't need much practice to beat someone's face in who is stuck in mount and can't move or get up.

KneeDragger_c69 likes this.
  10. six6two

six6two AWD

I think you really do need practice with striking to be proficient at striking in any meaningful way.

If you're correct here, Khabib wouldn't have been able to dominate so many black belts in bjj tournaments while holding rank as a blue belt. I could be wrong, but I think he retired as a blue belt... and he's as dangerous as anyone from mount.. even a Gordon Ryan IMO(outside the bjj ruleset)

11. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

I don't disagree at all. I put in a decent amount of time, and I'm proficient enough on my feet that I can not make a fool of myself, but more refined guys can confuse and trap me pretty easily. There's way more to it than most people realize.

I'd argue that Khabib is the example of my point though, not the exception. He had pretty rudimentary striking but when he gets a hold of you, you're proper fucked.

In fairness I should have just used "grappling" rather than BJJ. I don't know if Khabib even has rank in BJJ and it doesn't matter. Shit, Nicky Rod took silver at ADCC as a "blue belt".

six6two likes this.
  12. six6two

six6two AWD

Ah yeah I see what you meant.. it seems like ADCC is really opening the sport up beyond pulling guard and/or locking subs.. and giving pure grapplers and even stronger foothold transitioning to MMA!

I’m both extremely excited to see where Nicky continues to take things, and bummed for guys like myself at this point because there don’t seem to be many gyms outside of HS or collegiate wrestling programs that cover much wrestling at all.

Do you see Nicky ever beating Gordon?!

13. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

I’ve got nothing of value to add but mini khabib is funny to watch.

six6two likes this.
  14. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Never. He just doesn’t have time to catch up. He’s a freak athlete though and seems to keep getting better.

I agree that wrestling is a huge weakness for most BJJ guys, but it’s starting to shift. Any quality MMA gym should have a good wrestling program. We do and I’m starting to see more strict BJJ guys in there.

six6two likes this.
  15. six6two

six6two AWD

*American Jiu-Jitsu has entered the chat (just jokes don’t kill me bro :D)

16. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

I prefer Mexican ground karate. :D

17. SteveThompson

[​IMG]

A little more progress.

18. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Did this thread drive ryoung57 away? It started off great.

19. HPPT

HPPT !!!

No, he was experiencing a political meltdown a few years back and was invited to leave the premises.

20. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Oh....is it hard to get a perma-ban on here?