1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Martha's Vineyard

Discussion in 'General' started by kangasj, Sep 16, 2022.

1. kangasj

kangasj Banned

Anybody ever been there? I was thinking about sailing up the east coast next summer and thought it might be a cool stop. The marina prices don't look too bad. I was seeing $2.50/ft during non-prime time.....but up to over $10.00/ft during peak seaon!....:eek:

TurboBlew and britx303 like this.
  2. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

That place is full of very welcoming people……..until you actually show up. Then you’re an issue

tony 340, BHP41, Wingnut and 16 others like this.
  3. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

the nude beach mud sauna is something to experience... just be sure to use the proper SPF for your junk!
    Also the water is a balmy 47 degrees F in Sept...

4. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Place is full of Massholes. Why would anyone want to go there?

BigBird and Sabre699 like this.
  5. britx303

To beat the Texas heat?

6. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Chicago is nice this time of year

tony 340 likes this.
  7. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Shouldn't this be in the Bizarre Florida thread?....

8. kangasj

kangasj Banned

Even in the marinas? Wouldn't be a long term stay. Would they want to ship me somewhere else?

9. kangasj

kangasj Banned

Dunno...just thinking about planning the trip. It's not a must stop.

10. kangasj

kangasj Banned

Seriously? What about earlier in the year? Cripes....the water around SC is still excellent that time of year....I thought the gulf stream might keep it a little warmer.

11. thunderalley3

thunderalley3 Well-Known Member

I have a good friend that has done well for himself in life. He was born in Connecticut and now lives in Rhode Island in his "retirement" home that he built when he sold his business in Connecticut. (he spends most of the year in Florida but will never admit it lol)

Long story already but to cut to the chase he purchased a home on Martha's Vineyard as his wife "just loved it there" whenever they visited and he thought they would spend a couple of weeks there on and off throughout the summer and rent it the rest of the time to pay the bills on it. It came up one day during our conversation and I asked him why he never mentioned going there anymore. I proceeded to hear what a bunch of snooty people lived there and on and on and on. I finally get the story of how he had the police called on him for trimming a bush by the house as "renters" are not allowed to do anything except spend their money and leave. I guess the neighbor who called him in was shocked to find out he was the owner and there was a big blow up between them and he said he was going to sell the damn place.

I understand it to a point as I live in a tourist town but we are a big city and do not notice it as much but you take an island of roughly 15K residents that has 100K residents on it during the summer and I am sure the "locals" get tired of the tourist.

BigBird likes this.
  12. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

Says the vermhole

13. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I remember it taking ~4 months of sunshine to warm the water up 4-7 degrees to low 50s.
    Cracks me up when they do the polar plunge on NYD and the water temp is in the 70s

kangasj likes this.
  14. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

I would have to think its "double edged sword". My brother in law and his wife moved to Gulf Shores area in '21 and they've love it but have said the tourist aspect from April to August is part of the deal.

Now I'm sure the redneck Riviera of Alabama holds no candle to the potential "hi FA lootenness" of the Vineyard. :D

15. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

If they rename it Little Martha’s Vineyard, there might be a competition.

Shenanigans and RRP like this.
  16. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Wonderful place everyone should move there, especially New Yorkers and Californians

tony 340, cbush, DrA5 and 2 others like this.
  17. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Have fun and bring your Spanish dictionary with you.

tony 340, Blackbeener, DrA5 and 3 others like this.
  18. Jed

Jed mellifluous

The GS starts it's kick east at Hatteras. NE gets the cold stuff.

[​IMG]

kangasj and sheepofblue like this.
  19. britx303

upload_2022-9-16_10-0-40.jpeg

R1M370, MELK-MAN and Sabre699 like this.
  20. Jed

Jed mellifluous

If you need an extra deck monkey I'm cheap and know my way around a blow boat.