1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a new handgun...lets talk guns today. :D

Discussion in 'General' started by Kris87, Mar 17, 2010.

1. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

You bring up a good point in regards to length vs reliability. I “think” most of the times I’ve had issues with the cmmg, it may have been out of our 10.5” barrel. I’ll bring that one along with a 16” and run them both when we go Sunday, and see what does what.

2. britx303

Oh I hear ya:D That few hundred rounds is just for the new 380. We’ll be shooting a few others as well:rock:

Gorilla George likes this.
  3. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

The adaptor that came with the can definitely wouldn't let the slide operate fully so I had to get one made for my gun. Looks like there's clearance. The fact that it also had issues on the AR makes me think something else is going on.

4. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

Baffle strikes are easy to come by. You can check alignment with a fitted rod in the barrel. I’d definitely pull the can apart and check.

5. Tristan

I don't have a fitted rod. The can is just a tube, baffles, and end cap- no springs or any other pieces to possibly misalign.

6. Saiyan66

Saiyan66 Stand your ground

Yes but are the threads on the barrel perfectly concentric? Were the threads in the can machined perfectly concentric? If either of these is off then baffle strikes will occur.

RonR and Triple X like this.
  7. britx303

You see the new Ruger SFAR?

8. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

9. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

I have not but I did just look it up. Appears to be a decent out of the box AR-10. For that kind of gun though, I'd honestly rather just build. I generally don't buy many off the shelf rifles unless they're one of the top tier manufacturers (Knights, LMT, HK, etc.). For around the price range of the SFAR, I've found I can generally build my own exactly the way I want for a similar price and not have to settle for any design features spec'd by someone with different needs than mine.

That said, I get many people don't want to deal with the pain of building their own and would rather buy off the shelf ready to rock. And for that purpose, seems like a decent enough rifle for the price. That said, I'd have 2 concerns. First is the lightweight design. Sounds great on paper but on a .308, it can make the recoil somewhat difficult to manage. Looking at the specs, it's over a pound lighter than the SCAR 17. And while the SCAR is renowned for it's fantastic recoil mitigation, it's still a .308 and I absolutely would not add anything to that gun that increased recoil (in fact, I've still gone out of my way to take a couple measures in reducing recoil). So unless Ruger has worked some black magic with the action and brake to really tame that thing, I suspect it's less than ideal for multiple accurate trigger pulls in quick succession in the hands of the average shooter (such as myself). Flip side is, I would imagine that lower weight does make a positive noticeable difference in transitioning target acquisition... IF you can tame the recoil.

It's all about balance. More weight can tame recoil but too much makes the gun cumbersome. Too little and it becomes highly maneuverable at the expense of uncontrollable muzzle activity. I would be interested in trying it out just to see where this one falls.

My other concern is just general performance. I think I've mentioned it in this thread before but I'm frankly just not a fan of anything semi-auto from Ruger. My experience has been far less than ideal on a few of their guns (pistol and rifle). Their revolvers are fantastic best I can tell and their bolt guns could arguably be the industry standard for entry level precision rifles. But I just have no faith in their semi-autos.

britx303 likes this.
  10. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

Ooooooooo

A lighter 308 that’s not $2500 or more.

I’m having such good luck with the 223 on hogs I’m not sure I need a larger caliber but I do have a bunch of 308 I need to burn through

I might have to get one of these

britx303 likes this.
  11. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

I have an Armalite SuperSASS, weighs in with accessories @15.25lbs...kicks like a jackhammer. Just saying.
    I imagine tuning the action spring/buffer/gasblock could smooth it out, as well as fitting a can.

12. Steak Travis

Yeah recoil maybe a beyotch and make it not worth it. The 223 I can just put an extra bullet on something pretty much instantly. $1000 buys a lot of ammo

13. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Don't get me wrong, follow up shots are quick but, FAWK, too much of any of that trigger squeezin' and my face is payin' for it. :crackup:

14. Tristan

Thanks. A little more searching found then at McMaster-Carr for like $15 shipped, but I'm still wondering how I would go about fixing any misalignment. Not gonna spend hundreds getting a gunsmith to re-tap threads on barrels. On the AR I did the flashlight down the barrel thru the can method and the light coming out looks like a clean round circle. No easy way to do it on the handgun. No obvious damage on the baffles after ultrasonic cleaning.

15. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

Sorry I missed your checking if the baffles and just deleted a post. If there’s nothing obvious with the baffles it’s probably the end cap. Clean it good and the use a red paint marker on the ID where the bullet passes through. Let it set and dry real good. Put everything together and send one round. Gently clean of carbon off and see if some red is missing. If so you could open up the hole a little for clearance as in take it up to the next drill bit size. If I were closer I’d have you come over but we are a few hours apart.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2022
    Jedb and Tristan like this.
  16. britx303

I’m about to head over to my lgs. I’m going to ask what their price will be on one out of curiosity……unless it’s too soon for them to know. I’d at least like them to get one in to check it out in person

17. britx303

Holy crap my shop already has one that just came in. Was still in the box and they haven’t worked up the store price yet, but they pulled it out for me to play with……….nyuck nyuck nyuck. It’s LIGHT! It’s the 16” barreled version. I’ve dropped a great bit of coin lately so this is coming along at a bad time for my wallet, but I want it.

18. Steak Travis

if you want to send it down to Atlanta I think im headed for the pig woods Monday night

britx303 likes this.
  19. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

What is it with you and your glass shoulder?

FYI, the 50-90 Shiloh went to the range and while stout it was manageable enough for my wife to shoot a group, probably a little much for your sensitive nature.

20. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

Shots fired!

Adjustable gas block goes a long way, and a muzzle break sure does too. My 16" AR-10 feels like a stout 15. I could easily go through a few hundred rounds. (Rifle length gas system as well which doesn't seem to be common on a 16" barrel.)

britx303 likes this.