1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Going overboard as a dad???

Discussion in 'General' started by pjzocc, Feb 26, 2018.

1. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

Wish I was closer
    Good luck!

pjzocc likes this.
  2. BigBird

BigBird blah

That's awesome.

So you weren't so overboard. Good luck!

pjzocc likes this.
  3. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

@pjzocc you're doing a great thing. I want to feed many teenagers into a wood chipper, but the kids I meet at the gym are some of the nicest, most humble kids I've ever met. Of all the life skills, very few are more important than learning to fight. Knowing how to fight means knowing the consequences of violence, which makes it a measure of last resort.

Plus the competition side is really, really fun. Just keep an eye on his fights and make sure that when takes a big shot, win or lose, he takes time off and recovers.

*also get that kid into some grappling if you haven't already!

pjzocc and BigBird like this.
  4. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Started greendays the othe night and it’s crazy to see the kids with the drive to get better at things they enjoy. Love to see it and the progress and drive.

Beats sitting at home playing with their I computers and Tim toks. :D

pjzocc likes this.
  5. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

@JBraun thanks man! He’s done some junior BJJ stuff but not much. I know the grappling part is something he’ll need if he goes into more MMA style bouts vs. kickboxing based. It’ll be something we get into when we get there.

He’s getting comfortable in the gym and his physical trainer has some fights under his belt and has also trained at the same dojo, so he knows how to program him for what’s upcoming. Kid is deadlifting to 235 max and squatting 135. He’s got some serious core strength. And yeah he’s pretty humble and very even keeled. I think our biggest challenge will be his managing the adrenaline dump and his gas tank. Three 3-minute rounds but we’re looking for a knock out.

I guess there’s worse things he could be doing.

JBraun likes this.
  6. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

He’s got his own fight poster. 9 days…

2453B34A-5B3F-405E-BD56-82119C3966EA.jpeg

7. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Awesomeness but . . . Tell him some random idiot said his haircut is kinda stupid (especially for the world he’s entering). :D

joking about the hair, not about the awesomeness! Fierce! :up:

pjzocc likes this.
  8. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

:crackup::crackup:

He’s actually getting it cut on Wednesday. We’ve let him grow it out a bit but figure it’ll cut off about a pound for weigh ins on Friday!!

9. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

not a dad, but a simple question is the reason to train so hard for him or is it for you?

10. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

For him. He asked to start karate when he was 4. The training requirements for his black belt are stipulations of the dojo. Him getting into the ring is all his own asking. If he wants to fight, I’m going to give him every advantage I can to help him be successful. If he’s gonna do it, he’s not gonna do it half assed. If he sets a goal, it’s my job to help him achieve that goal.

If it was for “me” I would’ve had him in a miniGP series 3 years ago.

He loves what he’s doing, he enjoys working out and getting fit and strong, and he thrives in the challenge.

We sacrifice time, vacations, spend a lot of money…. If it was a 2 wheeled venture would it be a different sentiment for you?

11. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Not answering for PJ and an entirely different world but my kid pushed because she wanted to. Not just to participate or be part of the team but to excel.
    Tough times and hard work paid off for her. She didn’t want to be average or fade into the background and those are kids will be the ones that push past the bullshit that’s coming in their lives.

12. vfrket

vfrket Lost Member

You get her in college yet?

13. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

You probably should have stopped the typing right there and hit the backspace. But, kind of a fair question regarding the true motivations.

Living our dreams or do-overs for our failures through our kids is ABSOLUTELY NEVER going to be a success.

My experience, as a Dad, if the kid isn't interested in something, isn't passionate, then you're wasting your time and re$sources.
    PJ asked me quite a few questions 3 years ago about MiniGP. Joey's going with his passion and good on Joey, and good on PJ for the support to allow Joey to take this
    as far as his potential will let him.

Mine's into MiniGP and football, because he asked me to do it. No other reason than that. He can quit anytime he wants to. If he's having fun, and he's done....so be it.
    But, there's a fine line. If he's hit a plateau in racing or football, and gets a little frustrated, I'm going to maybe put my foot down a bit and push him to stay/keep trying.

In our situation, with football, I'd make him finish the season because he's part of a team and made a commitment to that team. Quitting is letting his team down, and it's important to
    see things like that through to completion for the greater good.

Racing, my son understand the significant investment I've made in bikes, gear, travel to events, etc. His Mom doesn't help, and she's NEVER come to watch him race (even at a track 20 minutes from her house) because she's afraid I'll ask her to pay for half his entry fees. She's an idiot enough to not realize that IF I were to ask or accept money from her, then she gets a vote in what we do....fuck that. He's raced like shit a couple times because he didn't go to bed when I told him to so he was well rested to focus on his races, or just gave up because he got a bad start....so that drew my wrath....I give 100 percent in prepping his bikes, packing the trailer, travel, paying fees, etc..so a 50 percent effort on his part is UNACCEPTABLE.
    Even if he gets last place..if his best effort was good enough for last place....so be it. I can accept last place on 100 percent effort.

The end goal here is learning personal responsibility and accountability, to his team, to me and to himself.

beac83, RichB, Boman Forklift and 2 others like this.
  14. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I didn’t do a damn thing to help her, I actually tried to talk her out of all the recruiting shit.

She didn’t listen. :D

pjzocc and Boman Forklift like this.
  15. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Sometimes the best thing you can do for your kid.....is nothing.

Our whole job is to prepare them for when we're no longer here.

16. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I got the “you’re an idiot and need to shift your shit” kick in the nuts a few days ago.

flat tire and no idea on what she needs to do and how to do it.

you might be a rocket surgeon, a D1 top recruit in badminton or a 2 million in the SATs but if you can’t change a gawd damn car tire you’re tots on a bull.

Jim Moore, pjzocc and StaccatoFan like this.
  17. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

EDIT: just read the last page. HOLY SHIT! That’s awesome!!! :clap::beer:

Haven’t read the whole thread and I know it’s old… I’ll just say this…

as someone who had ZERO support for ANY of my passions as a child I wish I had that structure that encouraged me to follow through with my talents and/or pursuits. To have parents that believed in me the way OP does his child.

but with that being said you’re guaranteed to make sure they put it down if they’re forced to do it regardless of their will to do so. It sounds like they really wanted it. It’s been a few years since the start of the thread… I hope it worked out and they felt the levity of achievement that will carry them into future endeavors with sheer determination and strength of will. :flag:

pjzocc likes this.
  18. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

Thanks man!

thread synopsis: took him 3 tries to get his first degree blackbelt, got his 2nd degree 11/20, no he’s stepping into the ring for his first fight Sat 10/15.

It’s been an amazing journey and I’m incredibly proud of him and his determination of achieving his goals.

Win or lose, I’ll post his fight results next weekend. Win or lose, he’s worked his ass off and will benefit from either scenario.

Boman Forklift and StaccatoFan like this.
  19. Jim Moore

Jim Moore Well-Known Member

I made my daughter change a tire in the driveway before she could drive on her own. Pretty funny. As luck would have it she clipped a curb coming into the neighborhood a few months later. She called me. I told her to break out the owners manual and get to work. I showed up on the scooter, snapped opened lawn chair and sat down to watch. A cop showed up a few minutes into it, walked up with a "WTF?" look on his face. I explained that I was there in a strictly supervisory capacity. He laughed and went on his way.

You should make her do one in the driveway. You may decide she needs a breaker bar to deal with the lug nuts.

20. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

30-27
    Unanimous decision

The Boy won and it wasn’t even close.

1473BD61-CA20-414A-A43B-B2E8D9337404.jpeg