1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alpinestars Supertech R10 Helmet

Discussion in 'General' started by KMC, Sep 7, 2022.

1. KMC

KMC DUC|DET

DFDC15BC-F6AD-4D40-9915-A579AE832856.jpeg Dovi was testing it at Misano. Sounds like it will be on track in 2023.

Kind of looks similar to the AGV Pista GP-R, but with an even larger spoiler.

2. KMC

KMC DUC|DET

3. KMC

KMC DUC|DET

4. KMC

KMC DUC|DET

5. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Serious TRON vibes.

6. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Clearly dovi wasn't testing it for top speed

elevenn7 and Phl218 like this.
  7. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Helmet company wants to impress me? Have crutchlow wear it. I always wear Bautista replicas cause you know that shit has been seriously tested

Repeatedly

8. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

As I understand it, they claim they are making it themselves. Not farming it out to HJC, or KBC, like so many other gear brands have. It'll be interesting to see how it develops. I'd be curious to know if they jump into the MIPS/6D style protection, or just stick with Styrofoam derived protection.

9. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

The face shield looks alot like the one on a Schuberth F1 helmet. And those are made in a factory in Italy, so we'll see.

And if they are diving into helmet production that's a big investment for machinery and equipment.

stk0308 likes this.
  10. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

In addition to other features designed to mitigate the effects of knocking your noggin, both of the helmets you mention have EPS but it isn't "Styrofoam".

11. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

Had a brain fart and couldn't remember EPS. Apparently it's to early for me to remember some things. In my (weak) defense, technically, EPS is a type of styrofoam like product.

12. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

EPS is expanded poly styrene?

13. prm

prm Well-Known Member

The difference is some use multi-density EPS to optimally absorb energy at varying impacts, and some design to absorb rotational energy. Bell uses EPS, EPO, and EPP in their layering for helmets with the Flex system.
    The EPS required to meet the high end of the certification tests is apparently much harder than is desirable for all slower impacts.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2022
  14. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

They are both types of polystyrene. The difference between the shit expanded polystyrene that is used for throw away coolers and the EPS that has carefully controlled density used strategically for head protection is huge. Sort of like the difference between the shit lumber you get at Lowes to (try and) build a deck and the very high quality Sitka spruce that you get from Aircraft Spruce and Specialty to build an aircraft. Just not the same..

15. prm

prm Well-Known Member

Here’s a Bell Flex liner as an example.
    D9EB3AC9-CB1C-4839-AD56-E65FEDA0158B.jpeg
    21F5995D-29FE-4064-897C-5212B3D632D6.jpeg

16. cbush

cbush Well-Known Member

If anyone has links to any credible data demonstrating that Bell or 6D helmets outperform other brands, I’d love to read it.

Anyone remember the big “Blowing the lid off” series of articles in Motorcyclist magazine in the mid-200’s?

17. prm

prm Well-Known Member

6D uses multi-density EPS, along with separating the layers to absorb rotation.

644F78CB-E7CF-46C3-8C64-036538EFD8E2.jpeg

18. KWyman133

KWyman133 Well-Known Member

backbone, noles19 and cbush like this.
  19. prm

prm Well-Known Member

That’s a harder one, true. Fly and 6D offer data from independent tests. Whether you trust it or not is up to you. The Fly Formula is a dirt bike helmet only.
    http://www.wpsstatic.com/miscimages/info/Formula-Benchmark-Data-Testing.pdf

6D
    https://www.6dhelmets.com/innovation/

cbush likes this.
  20. prm

prm Well-Known Member

This study is interesting as it differentiates between concussions and major brain injuries. It is studies like this that are leading to efforts to better manage “slow” impacts and rotational forces.

https://thejns.org/downloadpdf/journals/j-neurosurg/126/3/article-p768.

“Evidence continues to indicate that helmets are significantly protective against death due to brain injury, more severe forms of TBI, skull fractures, and traumatic ICHs. Therefore helmet use is recommended for sports, activities, and occupations that entail risks of intracranial inju- ry. Helmets may be less effective against concussion than against more severe forms of TBI due to the inherently different biomechanics of these injuries. 1) Concussion is induced by low-energy linear and rotational accelerations that cause more diffuse, distributed impact loading and peak ICP than the brain tissue can tolerate, resulting in damage to the microscopic structures of the brain and temporary onset of neurological impairment.2,75,101 2) More severe forms of TBI are typically caused by high-energy focal forces loading onto a localized region of the brain, resulting in injuries such as penetrating TBI and depressed skull fractures.2,75 3) Closed types of severe TBI are in- duced by distributive impacts that result in macroscopic lesions and inflammation, such as DAI.55 It is more difficult to design helmets and component materials that can safely reduce the low-energy directional accelerations and peak pressures that are distributed throughout the brain than to make helmets that can absorb severe diffuse impacts or stop externally localized forces strong enough to penetrate the dura mater or damage the skull.

I’m certainly no expert, just someone who has broken a couple helmets and my head and is interested in helmet tech improvements.

KneeDragger_c69, bpro and cbush like this.