1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ali express toggel switches

Discussion in 'Tech' started by ibidu1, Jul 22, 2022.

1. ibidu1

ibidu1 Well-Known Member

2. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

$50, give it a shot. Looks like you'll have to wire in the connector yourself. But fuck it, it's $50. I'm ordering a set.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is the supplier that Apex gets their parts from.

418 likes this.
  3. ibidu1

ibidu1 Well-Known Member

4. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

"Dimensions Due to manual measurement, there will be an error between 1-3cm"

Do you trust someone who can't accurately measure to better than 1cm?

5. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

I've seen people run the switches off Amazon and they looked pretty good

6. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

I asked my crew chief and he said these switches work well, he's used them in the past, BUT modern "smart" bike (BMW, R6/R1, ZX6, probably more) controls have chips inside their switch sets and do actual digital LINbus communication between the switches and the ECU. So, for my '21 ZX-6, I do not expect these switches to be a plug-in-and-go option.

I'm still gonna try em, and I'm a geek so maybe I'll try transplanting the LIN Bus controller from the OEM switches to a more centralized location where I can plug these switches into.. but just beware, these are apparently not all that's required.

7. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

I would be interested in seeing if that is indeed the case for the zx6.

I know bikes like the BMW and Ducati would be like that.
    I have a 2009 and a 2013 ZX6 and they are some of the simplest electronics on modern bikes. The 2021 is very similar to the 13.

8. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

The electronics changed a lot for the '21. CAN is a different protocol and the dash and controls are much more integrated to the computer. Thank you, EURO-5 emissions.

rafa likes this.
  9. ibidu1

ibidu1 Well-Known Member

If theres a switch maybe break down the original switch, and integrate it to the new press buttons. But stuff like press ignition maybe tricky

I have a 2017 R6 and its pretty basic controls

10. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

Yeah that's what I'm thinking I'll do when I get some spare time and these arrive.

11. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

Switches just arrived yesterday. They look well-built; they're aluminum, powdercoated, and feel solid. They came with about 4' of cable attached, with an individual wire for each switch. The wires are loose at the end of the cable; there is no connector attached. I'll try hooking them up to the bike this weekend.

ibidu1 and 418 like this.
  12. 418

418 Expert #59

Which one did you get? Keep us updated.

13. ibidu1

ibidu1 Well-Known Member

Good news! I would like to know aswell which ones.

beac83 likes this.
  14. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

the big fancy 7-button ones. 5 buttons on front and 2 on back.

15. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Come on now, we all deal with shrinkage occasionally

16. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

Verdict: nicely built switches but, as suspected, are not "out of the box" compatible with 2019+ ZX-6R. The OEM switches have a power/ground wire and a couple bus signal wires, whereas the AE switches have a power wire and a signal wire for each switch.

You could, in theory, transplant the control electronics from inside the OEM switches to somewhere else on the bike and then drive that control circuitry with the AE switch signal wires.. but at that point you're doing a lot of fine electronics fabrication. Not easy, and not worth my time.

If you install them on an older bike that uses signal wires instead of a LIN bus setup, these AE switches will likely be brilliant.

418 likes this.
  17. KneeDragger_c69

KneeDragger_c69 Well-Known Member

I use these plastic ones on my 2013 ZX6R and they work super well.

Hurts less the pocket when the bike goes down and you scrap it, like my crash this year.
    I got KWS to wired them with a plug, like that easy to swap when need to replace.

Didn't bother with the aluminum one... more weight for nothing ! :p

18. ibidu1

ibidu1 Well-Known Member

Do you guys know where we can find oem plugs for yamaha? So instead of cutting up my oem stuff I can make it plug and play

19. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

ebay is often the best