1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sealing spoked wheels for tubeless use

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Billy B, Aug 16, 2022.

1. Billy B

Billy B Old N Slow

I have a set of 17" rims on a KTM 105 mini motard for kart tracks. Would like to not have to deal with tubes and am looking at options for sealing the wheels. I'd like to do it right and not have to be screwing with it frequently. Anyone have any experience with this? Thanks

2. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

you can use tubliss tape to seal a clean rim air tight, one of those metal valve stems pushed thru, & a rubber cap for any beadlock hole(s). The term around here is "ghetto" tubeless.
    The biggest issues will be seating the bead & having to retape the rim if you have to re/tension spokes.

what problems are you having with tubes?

3. Billy B

Billy B Old N Slow

Thanks for the ghetto tubeless tips, makes sense. To be honest I'm not having 'problems' with tubes, would just rather not have them, both to make tire changes easier and to lose a bit of weight if tubeless is a fairly reliable option.

4. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

if tubliss made a 17" system then it would be a no brainer.

5. Billy B

Billy B Old N Slow

Yeah I've run those on my woods bike with good luck.

6. Toadmeister00

Toadmeister00 Well-Known Member

The "proper/best" way to seal them up is to use 3M 5200N sealant first on the spoke nipples, then once that dries tape over them with 3M 4412N sealing tape. The tape is available in different widths, I used 1" for the front and 2" for the rear (2.50/3,50 rims). Depending on your front rim design, 1" may not be wide enough. You may need the wider tape and trim it to fit. Put electrical tape down first where you will end up trimming, that makes it much easier to remove the tape as you trim it.

For valve stems, I used NAPA NTH 90426 straight metal stems.

I have done a couple of sets and didn't use the 5200N sealant, just the tape. If I ever had to tighten the spokes, I didn't want the extra hassle of having to deal with the sealant.

noles19 likes this.
  7. Billy B

Billy B Old N Slow

Toad, thanks for the info. On your rims with just the tape and no sealant, do you have to add air throughout the day at the track or do they stay aired up enough that they don't leak down in a day?

8. Toadmeister00

They hold air just fine. The trick with the tape is to get the wheel and nipples as clean as possible so the tape adheres. You want to remove any assembly lube/ grease from the spoke nipples and wipe everything with brake cleaner, contact cleaner, alcohol, acetone, etc.

9. Billy B

Billy B Old N Slow

Huh huh... huh... you said "nipples" Am I the only one excited about the new Beavis and Butthead movie :crackup:

Seriously though thanks for the tips, I'll go this route.

10. Toadmeister00

If you don't get those nipples clean....that sense of humor of yours will go away quick when you're resealing up your rim!

11. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

We just did a set for @SuddenBraking using the 3M tape. Prepped the rim well and it hasn't lost a pound sitting. We did have to order the 3M tape from overseas as it wasn't available from any of our suppliers in the states for some reason.

12. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

One should note that tubeless wheels have a different beading seat size/shape when compared to a typical offroad tube type wheel. And of course, each corresponding tire does too. If you have issues with air leakage or setting the beads this is probably why.

13. G2G

G2G I feel the need

On our supermoto rims that are not tubeless 3m tape is the way to go. Been doing this for about 15 years.