1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plugging tire for road use only?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by gapman789, Aug 13, 2022.

1. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

Just got a damn hole in the middle of a 500 mile Pirelli Diablo 200/55 on my Tuono. First thought was, there goes $300 ....

Seems like this might work according to the youtube and is supposed to be 'permanent'. Any firsthand experience with this plug kit? $15 is a bit cheaper than a new tire.

stop and go plug kit.jpg

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'd use it no problem.

Daniel06 and gapman789 like this.
  3. bergs

bergs Well-Known Member

Be sure to lightly sand the inside of the carcass in the area where the patch will make contact. This will allow for a better bond between the tire and patch once the glue has been applied.

I've ridden on a couple tires with plug patches and am still alive to tell the story

4. CBR723

CBR723 Well-Known Member

When I worked in dealership we quit plugging street tires for liability. A neighboring shop got sued so we made that decision. I have run that style plenty and never had a problem as long as it wasn't a gash.

5. ibidu1

ibidu1 Well-Known Member

Ive ran plugs on race slicks and raced on it...... hahaha

emry likes this.
  6. gapman789

Alright, sounds like i should be ok.

My girl was on her bike when it happened about 3 miles from home. I looked over my right shoulder to change lanes, and bam i hit something. Piece of metal, came up into the bike and banged around. She went to the house, got the truck, regular plugs, and compressor. I made it home but the plug was already ripped out of it.

1st and only motorcycle flat tire in 30-ish yrs.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2022
  7. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

Combo plug patches are permanent and work great when installed properly. I worked at a tire shop for years and installed hundreds. Unfortunately, they aren’t that easy to install. Sanding/buffing the inside of the tire until smooth is important. Using the right amount of cement and waiting for it to dry before applying the patch is necessary, especially if the patches are lower quality. Roller-ing the patch to apply a ton of pressure and taring over it helps make it permanent. Maybe you can find a YouTube video or two if the kit instructions are lacking.

gapman789 likes this.
  8. gapman789

This is the only video i could find using the plug that i ordered.