1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So, you wanna work in show business?

Discussion in 'General' started by Steeltoe, Mar 5, 2022.

1. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

So, no mandolin? I have ton of respect for him. I saw a video of what I think was a Grand Ole Opry anniversary concert where he played as a member of the band for pretty much the whole show and looked to be having a blast doing it, but generally stayed out of the limelight except a couple of times when it was his "turn". That takes a lot of rehearsal time and work. About 20 years ago I saw him singing backup for Amy Grant too. :D Unsurprisingly, their daughter has a wonderful voice as well.

ducnut likes this.
  2. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Years ago, around the turn of the century, Vince was the reason I tuned into Bluegrass music. Channel surfing, clicking fast through channels, I'd catch a glimpse of him playing the mandolin. I soon would stop on the channel to watch him play. I remember saying to myself at the time "While this ain't my cup of tea, I know he is playing the heck out of that thing." I continued to watch him play more and more. Shortly thereafter, I discovered the voice of Alison Krauss. I was then hooked on the stuff.

3. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Don't worry, his guitar cabinet is very well stocked. I didn't look that close but there's prolly a mandolin or three in it.

Sitting here listening to sound check. My venue is first stop on the tour. Some bugs to iron out but fairly painless and super chill like every country crew I've ever had.

Seen Allison Kraus a time or two YamahaRick. Her production company is local. If you like her check out Martina McBride.

YamahaRick likes this.
  4. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

I've seen AK w/ Bluegrass folks at The Fabulous Fox in ATL, as well as AKUS at The Grand Old Opry. Martina was the opening act for Alan Jackson and I saw them both in Charlotte.

Steeltoe likes this.
  5. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Jeezy

I have no idea who he is or even what he looks like.

Because he's already an hour late.

6. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Aren’t most rappers named some variation of Jeezy or Weezy or sleazy?

Lil Jeezy Ice K is gonna be my rapper name.

SirCrashAlot likes this.
  7. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I had to kick a dude off my stage at sound check because he walked in smoking a blunt. I don't care about the weed but open flame in a theatre? Trying to get us on CNN bro? Lol wtf? You're literally standing in a matchbox.

YamahaRick likes this.
  8. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Rotf! Some of the riggers/ grips I met back in the day in NJ probably would have caved his head in, stuffed his body in a road case (probably next to a dead hooker) and never missed a beat in laying cable. :D

9. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I was a rigger for years. We do have a reputation :D

10. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Dude, some of those guys would scare a serial killer.

Remind some time to tell you about the backstage guys fighting the zombie horde at shitty gardens.

11. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

The thing about being a rigger is if I don't hang your show you won't have one.

And the ordinary person is not going to go up 80ft in the steel and pull a hundred pounds of chain.

That's why we don't take any shit.

12. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

To clear up my post there was club in Trenton NJ named City Gardens. They got some incredible shows since the booker paid well and took great care of the bands.
    Problem was it was in the worst part of NJ and rumor back in the day that the criminally insane prison (can’t remember the name) would bus the inmates no one claimed or had no place to go after release just up the block. Same for Rahway or some other prison with almost no money. Add them in with the locals and Dalton and Garrett would have said “f@ck this!”

13. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Ive handled open flame torches in a theatre. no big deal. I was menacing gypsies with it.

Of course if your hand even twitched the flame would go out...so maybe they were worried about fire.

14. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

No flame source without Fire Marshall approval and a crew member standing by w fire extinguisher each and every time. No exceptions. Not even a match or cigarette lighter.

Arenas are more lenient but still have to demo pyro w the Fire Marshall pre show.

15. Jed

Jed mellifluous

A little late, but that guy is sooo incredibly talented.

Saw him a few years back in a small amphitheater in LaGrange GA.

He walks out in dad jeans, New Balance looking shoes, random polo shirt looking as dumpy as me.

Steps to the mic and says "Hi, I'm mister Amy Grant", and with that queue he and the band just kill it for a set with his band. After a break he comes out with just his guitar and a stool. Tells some stories and plays some songs.

One of the best shows I've ever seen.

Steeltoe and YamahaRick like this.
  16. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

War on The Catwalk

There are no hot women's.

17. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

What's your move?

18. ton

ton Arf!

Exactly the same as his move when there ARE hot womens