1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ergonomics - superbikes for tall guys

Discussion in 'General' started by kris, Aug 9, 2022.

1. pawpawrc

pawpawrc Well-Known Member

One of my buddies is 6’4” and rides endurance with me. I basically made a “platform” under the tail out of aluminum that increases the seat to peg distance dramatically. Made it so he can ride the bike for a good long while without cramping or whatever. Only downside is if you are less than 6’, it’s way too high so no one short can ride with us!

2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Went over to my buddy’s place to see his new motorcycle. He had a used hayabusa and it was the all white one I wanted.
    Until I sat on it. Couldn’t touch the ground, had to sit waaaay up on the tank just to control and load up the front end and it felt like I was Mongo sitting “in” a honder fit.
    “want to take it for a ride?”
    “And do what at a stoplight? Ask some soccer mom to bring out a milk crate so I can balance the f@ckin’ white whale?”

you gigantors have it easy, we normal sized humans have it tougher. :D

3. 2Big4Bike

2Big4Bike Well-Known Member

Fixed it for you. :D

4. A. Barrister

A. Barrister Well-Known Member

5. pfhenry

pfhenry Well-Known Member

couldn't agree more. I'd add seat height for sure.

6'2" and I also moved my bars forward. It really opens up the cockpit for your hips as well.

Maybe grind/ cut the foot pegs a bit shallower under the tip to compensate for ground clearance at a lower position.

6. kris

kris Well-Known Member

Thanks guys, looked through past photos and its clear I had more of a right angle between the calf and thigh in earlier days on a standard RSV4. These WSBK rearsets for whatever reason (designed for somone, maybe Max Biaggi or Laverty) are just not suited for me. Today I fitted some standard Spider Racing RSV4 rearsets and the angle has opened up ALOT.

Ill get some thicker seat foam too and experiement with changing the seat height. Might also try a riser clip too.

7. tl1098

tl1098 Well-Known Member

That's Phillip Island right?first world problems:bow::D

8. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

if you were in the KISS Army you could have access to "orthotic heeled" boots... easy peasy for the inseam challenged :)

9. Evad101

Evad101 Well-Known Member

6'6" here but I have a taller torso and only a 33" inseam so seat to peg clearance has not been too difficult.Current ride is 2016 BMW S1000rr which works well. Previously on a number of CBR1000RR's (avatar pic) which all fit well though I still look like to proverbial "monkey on a football" no matter what I ride unless its a Gold Wing.

Not much more to add from most have already said. Wide bars help to keep the chest shoulder crampedness down, adjustable rears sets to find the right balance of seat the peg height and use of the shift/brake levers.

Oh and yes, short people can suck it with your ability to find off the rack clothes/leathers, fit on motorcycles, have better power to weight ratio, comfortably fly in airplanes and so...

...at least I can reach the top shelf, stand in the deep end, see from the back row, and am the last to drown so there!:D

10. kris

kris Well-Known Member

Yes sir :D

11. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

This was my thought as well. Raising the seat height might help a ton too. I need as much seat height as possible for my own fit issues and it makes an immense difference.

12. kris

kris Well-Known Member

Ive made the rearset changes, ill ride it for a day and then look at seat height changes also.