1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ducati Engine Repair

Discussion in 'Tech' started by rd400racer, Aug 8, 2022.

1. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

My 2001 M750 has either eaten a gear tooth or lost the bearings in the drive shaft (which may have caused a damaged tooth). Regardless, the engine needs a rebuild. Does anyone know someone close to Louisville, or if not somebody I can ship the engine to for repair. For example, I'll send stuff to Ed Toomey if I need RZ repairs. Is there a Ducati guy like that?

2. 418

418 Expert #59

Isn't Commonwealth kind of a big deal around there?

Patrick Hannigan likes this.
  3. Wingnut

Wingnut Well-Known Member

If you can ship to Arizona.

Tom Hull
    tomsitaliantuneandservice.com

rd400racer likes this.
  4. rd400racer

That's where I bought the bike back in 2001, but I didn't think they'd tackle something like a complete engine tear-down of a 20+ year old bike. I guess I should at least give them a call.

5. 418

418 Expert #59

Ah, you might be right. Didn't think about the age.

6. rd400racer

I'm also looking for a used engine which would probably be the smart way to go, except for the fact that you're taking a bit of risk on whatever engine you might find.

7. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Carr Moto in Indy?

8. yokohama1

yokohama1 Well-Known Member

Chad at Commonwealth does good work as he has had to rebuild my KTM. Also not sure if he would want to do the older motor as he once asked me why I still race a 20 year old Ape.

9. rd400racer

I was curious if anyone in Indy might be available. I'll check it out.

10. rd400racer

I kind of know Chad so I'll hit him up (had totally forgotten about him). He might even want to do it on the side. This is basically one of the simplest Ducati engines out there. Last of the carbed version and a plain old 2V. I've watched videos and think I could do it myself, but I just can't wrap my head around timing a bike.

11. 418

418 Expert #59

I know with my KTM, when the motor went you could have picked up a used one for a song on Ebay.

Then Rona hit and at that point it made more sense just to pay somebody to build something of known quantity.

rd400racer likes this.
  12. Phl218

Phl218 .

get an M900 engine ;)

SS should work too.

13. rd400racer

I've done a fair bit of research on this, and it seems that the 99 900 engine is the easiest to swap into my bike. Trick is finding a 99.

Phl218 likes this.
  14. rd400racer

This is what worries me. Look what happened to this area. Is the case toast?

[​IMG]

15. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

Ed Milich is your man. He’s on the left coast, but he specializes in bringing back L-twin Ducati piles. I can’t tell if he loves it or hates it, but he’s the guy. Want some sort of weird Italian hybrid machine? Call Ed. www.Ducpower.com
    [email protected]

Wingnut, Phl218 and rd400racer like this.
  16. Wingnut

Wingnut Well-Known Member

I have 2 spare 96 900ss engines laying around, (carbs)

Philip Mirgliotta and Phl218 like this.