1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2 Way Radio Programming

Discussion in 'General' started by Hyperdyne, Aug 8, 2022.

1. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

I have a Motorola XPR 7550e and have no idea on how to program the thing. It was a old business radio I was given but we have since shuttered that facility.

I understand from a brief search that programming specifically the Motorolas is PITA.

Will anyone be at Pitt this weekend that has the software that can help?

Thanks

2. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

Any Motorola service centers in your area ?

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You'll need software and the proper cable most likely.

beac83 likes this.
  4. Hyperdyne

I've got the cable. I't would be like me trying to calibrate Fuel Injection mapping software. I'll just muck it up :D

5. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

the software is expensive...$2-300 for a couple year license and stupid complex. If you just need it programed for some common freqs/uses try to find a motorola dealer and pay them.

Or sell it and buy a different brand radio.

6. Hyperdyne

I don't really need to use it for anything else other than at the track. Probably would make sense to just sell it since I can't manually program frequencies.

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Boman Forklift and Triple X like this.
  8. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

Are you planning on transmitting ?
    If not, just buy a scanner .

9. gixxernaut

gixxernaut Hold my beer & watch this

The Baofeng UV-5R is cheap enough on Amazon as Mongo already pointed out, and there's plenty of support for it. Sell the goldbrick you have and you could buy 20 Baofengs.

10. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Wow, I can’t think of a real need for one, but that thing looks amazing for under $30. Maybe I need to have my shop guys carry them and I can bark commands all day to them.

They would really love that idea! Lololol

11. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

Remember that pretty much all of these radios require a license to transmit.

The exception is the 0.5 Watt FRS channels, and the older CB channels.

G Dawg and 5axis like this.
  12. tiggen

tiggen Things are lookin' up.

We use digital/analog Motorolas and dmr radios from radioddity for our endurance karting events. The chicom radios aren't as nice or as well built or as loud, but they work, and they come with the programming cable that can be used with free software. Their batteries seem to fade, though. But when you buy them on sale it's too good to pass up.

We used Baofeng Bf888s for years before going digital (which is totally unnecessary and just adds expense and complexity). What an awesome radio. For $10 they put up with a lot of abuse (rain, vibration, being dropped on asphalt), plenty loud to hear, plenty of power for most tracks, and when they broke, we just salvaged parts as spares and got another. Used a Kenwood two pin for accessories. The only real downside was the receiver is not very selective and could get overpowered by nearby signals, which means every so often you'd be temporally deafened by a shrieking, squawking sound.

13. R Acree

R Acree Banned

10-4 Good Buddy

14. Boman Forklift

Wait……. The most importent part of this post was ENDURANCE KARTING EVENTS!!!

Do you need another teammate? Where do you do this?

Sabre699 likes this.
  15. tiggen

tiggen Things are lookin' up.

Good on teammates, but Chris can hook you up with a team. He does more than just 24's. This race is at Chalotte next month, and there aren't enough teams yet, so tell your friends. You can either do arrive and drive in a Dino or bring your own 206.

https://www.procupkarting.com/events/2022-24-hours-of-america

This one below was this past spring, but he intends to do another next year. His name is TJ. This is 206 only, and a pretty high level of competition.

https://www.24hrsofnola.com/

Boman Forklift and 418 like this.
  16. Boman Forklift

Thank you for linking that. I would be interested in the future, maybe start planning for next year but can not make this September.

17. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

I have the software. PM me your email address

18. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member