1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another trailer question....

Discussion in 'General' started by Motofun352, Aug 3, 2022.

1. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

I'm in the process of replacing the 6 sets of taper roller bearings (and leaf springs and shackles while I'm at it). The axle is a 7000# Dexter. My question is do you have to (or should you really) replace the races at the same time as the bearings? The Chinese bearings have about 70,000 miles on them and I can't detect any wobble or wear but that could just be my lack of knowledge. If I do this I'll spring for SKF or similar manufacturer. I've heard of bearings causing Brinelling if left in a static position for a long time though I can't detect it on the stock races. This one of the reasons you put a car up on blocks if left static for a long time.

2. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

i've always just replaced the hubs from eTrailer.com

bearings and races were only slightly cheaper than just replacing the hub itself for me.

Chango likes this.
  3. backho

backho Well-Known Member

I posted this before on another trailer issue. I’d recommend changing the bearings in sets of the same manufacturer. The best taper roller bearings are USA manufactured Timken. They’re worth the extra money.

ducnut likes this.
  4. BC

BC Well-Known Member

If he has 7 k axles, he has drums, lots more $$ than doing bearings.

Always change the races when changing the bearings!

5. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

:stupid:

6. Cooter!

Cooter! Sarcasm level: Maximum

Yes, ALWAYS change the races. The extra 12 seconds of effort is worth it.

7. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Oh... I thought this was about trailer park Tammy and Kid Rock.

My bad.

Google that, for some entertainment....

8. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Kid Rock can suck a bag-o-dicks.

9. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

If you Google the keywords I posted above, Mr. Bag-o-dicks better find a jimmyhat first...

OTOH, Kid Rock has more musical talent in his left pinky fingernail than 98.6% of the people who make their living in the music industry these days.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2022
    KneeDragger_c69 likes this.
  10. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

11. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

If Kid Rock is what passes for musical talent, the asteroid can’t get here soon enough.

Sabre699 likes this.
  12. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

Just like so many 'U.S.' companies, Timken's bearings and whatnot aren't necessarily made in the US. Sourced out to 42 other countries....Taiwan, Indian, China etc....

ducnut likes this.
  13. backho

backho Well-Known Member

True enough! That’s why I said USA manufactured. Fortunately, Timken still has lots of facilities in the US.

14. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Motion Industries used to deal in USA, German, and Japanese bearings. Last time I was in there, everything on their shelf was Chinese. The counter guy tried the old line of “There are different levels of Chinese bearing.”. Pfft! Bullshit. They’re all garbage, when they’re all made from the same Chinese base material.

15. backho

backho Well-Known Member

Timken used to have a long history blurb on their website detailing their progress. Some of their significant advancements were vacuum degassed steel and Timken-izing the railroad and automotive industry