1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any Toyota / Lexus mechanics

Discussion in 'General' started by Alex_V, Aug 1, 2022.

1. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Alex, maybe a bit late, but as I've mentioned here before Toyota of South Atlanta via their website has incredible prices on OEM parts.

2. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Throwing parts at it is a bad idea. Put a scanner on it and see what the computer wants the fuel pressure to be and what the sensor is telling it it is. KOEO is it in the 50psi range? Does the engine start? What is it reading with it running? The number one rule is to look for irrational numbers in the data stream then find out why they are off.
    Honestly, working on any modernish car without a scanner is just wasting money and time. Might as well be using slip jaw pliers and a Swiss Army knife to
    Try and change those parts….

3. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

I feel like I have read this thread before......

4. GNC

GNC Jim Rashid

Have you checked the battery?

5. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

It's there. Can low voltage cause engine light, and all those codes? My past experience with bad batteries was "no start" condition and never any codes.

6. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

I have put a scanner, but I am not smart enough to get deeper than reading existing codes. It has a "Live View" mode, but to be honest I just don't know what to look for.

7. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

you need a tactrix obd2 adapter, and a pirated version of toyota techstream, on your laptop. then you have the hardware and software to diagnose issues, and make changes to the auto via software. lots of toyota forums have the know how for this. Ski

8. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

Would this give me more accurate troubleshooting ability vs reading error codes with an OBD2 scanner. That is what I have:

https://www.harborfreight.com/zr8s-obd2-code-reader-with-live-data-57667.html

9. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

yes, it is was the toyota dealership techs have, use.

10. GNC

GNC Jim Rashid

You might want to check it, how old is it? If it’s the original one it’s old.

11. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Yes a failing battery can make your daah a Christmas tree on certain cars

12. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Absolutely...

13. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

Is this how to test the battery?
    Connect the multimeter to the positive and negative battery terminals
    . If you don't have a voltage of around 12.6 volts, you may have a bad battery. Now start the car, and look for a revised voltage over 10. If your voltage drops below 5 when the car is running, it is bad and should be replaced

14. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

Take to auto parts store they will check for free, they will put a load on it.