1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

roadracing a 450 supermoto

Discussion in 'General' started by turbulence, Aug 3, 2020.

1. turbulence

turbulence Well-Known Member

right. i do too when not running a belly pan

2. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Oh duh I wasn't thinking about the belly pan..
    I used a cake pan for my belly pan and it holds up decently with the center lift stand luckily when I have to run one

turbulence likes this.
  3. G2G

G2G I feel the need

I have not had any issues with my front stand by my good friend has nothing but issues. I think the newer pit bull (bottom style) fork stand are a little different than the older ones. Mine is very old and works perfectly.

turbulence likes this.
  4. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

You ever make it out to High Plains with your 450? How'd it do there? I am eyeing one by me. I like the idea of a bike I can run at the kart tracks but also do some road racing on.

5. G2G

G2G I feel the need

I do. Matter of fact I raced there a little over a month ago with AHRMA and won against the fast local guys. High Plains is my favorite race track layout in the country. GRat track for a motard. The back strait is a little long but no issue if you gear it correctly.

Boman Forklift, TLR67 and Senna like this.
  6. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Thanks for the input! Seems like the bike would be pretty versatile then.

7. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

8. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

I do have a V&H Head off our championship bikes. It was built for top end racing as it was used on the 1/2 mile and mile tracks. Now that we are team red, my bike has a short track setup so this head is collecting dust.

Triple X likes this.
  9. Triple X

Triple X Well-Known Member

Will it fit my 2019 FS450 and if so how much?

10. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Anyone done the sixth gear mod to an FS450? I won’t let the road racing supermoto dream die.

MachineR1 likes this.
  11. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

Update: There was a young second generation rider doing outrageous lap times on a Motard. He actually finished 6th in the 2021 Loudon Classic on a KTM 450. Some folks worried that he might be riding over his head. Well, the inevitable happened, and some mid season rules changes are excluding Motards from certain classes because of the abnormal lines they take. The USCRA banished Motards years ago, prompting one of the riders to open Boxshop Speedway in Maine.
    Update: Webcrush seems to be doing bicycles, now. I guess he'll have to rephrase "You can't say I had motor on you!" His crusade a year or two ago was calling out supermarkets that didn't enforce COVID mask rules. :D

Last edited: Aug 23, 2022
  12. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

An annoying individual now annoying other annoying individuals!

13. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

To put it simply, NEMRR is no longer friendly to single cylinder machines. If there's a change in management maybe I'll make a return to road racing.

14. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

15. The Beer Hunter

The Beer Hunter Well-Known Member

Here's what I did for a belly pan. Had a local racer fab and weld one.

Attached Files:

Boman Forklift and Senna like this.
  16. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

For the guys road racing 450s, what are you doing for maintenance in-season? Are you checking valves every few races or X number of hours, extracurricular from the service intervals?

I know the top ends can be pricey, but I don’t really give a shit about a 4-figure repair bill so long as it’s something I can do at the end of each season and just drop off with a shop. Is it realistic for me to just do oil changes and other general maintenance until the end of the season?

17. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

What bike?
    KTM/husky yes that's realistic change the oil after each race check the valves every few races.
    They are really reliable I know several people with hundreds of hours on the engines with pretty much nothing don't to them.

Boman Forklift, Triple X and Senna like this.
  18. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Yeah later model FS or SMR is the plan. Thanks!

BOMDIVR and Triple X like this.
  19. jlogalbo

jlogalbo Well-Known Member

Senna I have been road racing supermotos in the MRA / HPRfor the last several years (had a break due to injury though) . I am currently on a FS450. Are you looking to race a supermoto or track days?

Joe

Senna likes this.
  20. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Hey Joe! I’m looking to do both, actually. I’m meeting a guy out at IMI to try out a 450 on that track in about an hour, actually.

Boman Forklift and pro69ss like this.