1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Living with the wiggle ?

Discussion in 'General' started by Raceless man, Aug 3, 2022.

1. Raceless man

Raceless man Well-Known Member

I bought a Klx300sm. Great fun, light, easy peasy to ride.
    At speed on the highway (80 mph +/-) a slight wiggle begins. Like a modest left right oscillation. At first I just attributed it to the pie slice stock mirrors or the handguards that I installed. I removed them and no change so I put them back on because I think they look cool. Then I noticed chain was needing attention. I went to adjust and saw the alignment of the axle was off more than I thought was acceptable. I figured maybe that was causing the weave. Adjusted chain aligned axle went out for a ride.
    Wobble still present at higher speeds and still slight. Until cross breeze's enter the equation. Then the intensity of the weave increases.
    So basically what I am asking is this ...
    Is this the way dirt bike steering geometry works on paved roads at speed ? Or do I continue questing for a solution?
    Thanks

2. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Try changing tires, tire pressure, and dropping the forks in the triple.

3. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

A wheel weight?

4. R Acree

R Acree Banned

On my KTM, it's the lousy aerodynamics of the plastic front fender.

pjdoran, black knight and RRP like this.
  5. Raceless man

Good suggestions...ty.

6. G 97

G 97 Garth

Juicy Wiggle.
    16240842-C497-4A5E-BEF0-D7D19DDAC867.jpeg

7. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Smollett's cousin?

The Todd likes this.
  8. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

They are going to do that especially with side plastic shrouds and dirtbike style front fender. Also, why the efff are you doing 80 on a 300cc motard bike? LOL that thing aint made for that.

9. BigBird

BigBird blah

better than the clap. thought you had Parkinson's, glad it's just mechanical :)

10. R Acree

R Acree Banned

The wider bars can also can be a bit more sensitive to rider input at speed.

11. rymerc

rymerc Well-Known Member

I"m a little surprised a klx300 will do 80mph. Is that indicated, or actual?

Yep they all do this, depending on what tires, fender/bodywork, and suspension setup.
    Adding some preload to my rear damper on the drz helped slightly, a tire change almost eliminated it

12. Raceless man

Traffic flow on the GSP really demands 80 mph or your a hood ornament.

Edit. Ty again for the input peeps.

The Todd, BigBird and beac83 like this.
  13. Dragginass

Dragginass Well-Known Member

My old KLR650 would do it at anything above 70mph. It was the front fender. Cut it or brace it, and the oscillation will stop.

14. tjnyzf

tjnyzf Well-Known Member

My WR250R does the same thing...I agree with others that it's probably the front fender and radiator shroud aero....

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Dropping the front will help but quite simply get a good steering damper on it and live with it.

dtalbott and The Todd like this.
  16. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

I haven't looked at how the KLX fender mounts, but on older KTMs that had all four bolts going into the clamp from the bottom my friend would advise shimming the front ones with a couple washers to tip the fender down.

17. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

Why not just pull the fender off and take it for a spin to see if it goes away?

18. acorn27

acorn27 4 out of 3 people in the world struggle with math

My WR250X/R does it too. Nothing that I tried will get rid of it

19. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

remember... that thing only has a quart of oil in it. long drawn out high speed, high rpm riding will dry the clutch right out and fry them. lots of supermoto/supersingle guys found that out racing, riding at the big tracks. Ski

Boman Forklift likes this.
  20. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

The KLX300SM is designed to be a street machine from the factory...