1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School me on investing...

Discussion in 'General' started by noles19, Nov 8, 2017.

1. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Episode?

2. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

3. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Good thing it’s not a recession.

4. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

“BuT tHe LaBoR MaRkEt Iz StiLl StrONg sO iTs NOt a RECeSsIoN”

[​IMG]

5. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

Anyone else thinking that there are people in government (not drawing any party line here) that have it in their best interest to allow BlackRock&Co to divest themselves from the overinflated housing market back onto main street before officiating the recession and the losses REALLY start to hit. Or am I just a nutbar? You can’t make money on overinflated rentals if people can’t afford it and buying is back to cheaper than renting

6. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

“You’ll own nothing, and be happy”

Banditracer likes this.
  7. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Housekeeping called in the dead body in the hotel room.

Lucky for me, dispatch sent an ambulance anyway.

I don't know what happened, or exactly what substances were involved, but definitely copious amounts of coke & whiskey.

8. HPPT

HPPT !!!

:eek:

9. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

So you are serious, that happened to you? Wow, glad you made it, what a wake up call.

10. Boman Forklift

Hmmm. I literally don’t think I’ve purchased any individual stocks since I got my peepee handed to me in the early 2000s. Only mutual funds since then. My wife has in the companies she works act, with discounted shares.

I maybe ready to try again and BABA seems like a possible risk I’m willing to take. I haven’t researched much and honestly dont know how to read the charts to make that type of educated decision on moving averages, etc.

This drop was from possible delisting it sounds like. If that happens, can it still be traded in a Fidelity brokerage account?

11. Boman Forklift

I actually think the new Tesla roadster that was talked about 3-5 years ago would be pretty cool. It doesn’t have the sound and stick, but is so freaking fast and looks good, I could see wanting that over some nice Porsches, etc. But it’s all a pipe dream anyway…..I don’t have 200k budget for a sports car, and knowing Tesla, if/when they make it they won’t hold the price.

12. auminer

Actually worse: I did that to myself. :(

And, yes. Wake up call on many fronts. Sucks that I had to almost(?) die to figure out that I wanted to live. Puts a lot of things into perspective. All the money in the world can't make you happy. I could definitely make a lot more dough, but I learned that wasn't important.

Yeah, yeah, easy to say when you live in the land of opportunity.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  13. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Mutual funds are the smart play with your retirement money. I'm not recommending you take your money out of them put in BABA.
    I'm talking about investing smaller amounts you can afford to lose for a little extra kick.

And yeah, the threats of delisting have affected the stock for quite some time now with all the disputes between the US and China. They keep coming and going. I'm relying on the hope that there are some very rich people with a lot of money in it will pick up the phone and call their favorite senator or something if the threat ever starts becoming reality. :D

I'm not sure how it's actually handled if it happens. Do they convert your holdings into Hong Kong shares or something? I have no idea.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  14. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

I can relate to the situation you found yourself in. stay strong. And remember the words of The late great Tyler Durden

[​IMG]

auminer likes this.
  15. Boman Forklift

Oh I agree, it would be some of the money leftover from when we sold the building. Some that is left is in the S&P 500 and I maybe willing to take a % and throw it here or crypto.

Regarding crypto, I’ve stayed away this entire time and originally considered it when it was under 3k, as I recall? I was thinking when it got in the teens, once it hit 15k I would buy some, but here it is back up to 24k.

If I would have bought back years ago I’m certain I would have blown it out long ago and made something but no way I would have been smart enough to ride it into the 60k’s and up.

I know Tyler bought some, not that long ago, and I sent him some articles on tulip mania. When I was younger I would have definitely jumped in big, but I’ve been punished a few times for that. Lolol

16. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

17. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

I didn’t have a 401(k) 5 years ago so that doesn’t mean shit to me ha ha. By the way you do understand that 401(k) market is not going to go back up. More boomers are going to be retiring in the next few years and there won’t be enough younger people investing to get back to pre-pandemic levels. It’s an issue of demographics. you are simply not going to be able to have growth like in previous years

18. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Uh, wut?

SuddenBraking likes this.
  19. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

I said what I said.

when you have more people collecting on their 401ks than putting into them you can’t exactly have steady growth. 401ks are done as far as I’m concerned.

20. auminer

Damn. Someone needs a name change to 'Jim Cramer'.

:crackup:

Boman Forklift and pickled egg like this.