1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Title for MSO race bike

Discussion in 'General' started by HoyaXC07, Jul 31, 2022.

1. HoyaXC07

HoyaXC07 Well-Known Member

A guy local to me is selling an old race bike, a 2000 748, and he has the original MSO. I ran the VIN and it's not coming up as stolen. If I buy this thing.(it's rough) could I take the MSO to the tag office and get a title? Or would I be on the hook for inspections, original sales tax, etc?

2. 418

418 Expert #59

It's all state specific.

In GA for example, IIRC, anything over 25 years old you can get away with a BOS.

3. HoyaXC07

Thanks. More than likely I'll be trying to get a Kansas title

4. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

The state of KS may require sales tax on the original purchase price.
    MSO is more desireable for collector/survivor stuff but also near impossible to get reissued. The other route is a bonded title and keep the MSO in a safe place.

5. chobes

chobes Well-Known Member

Get a bill of sale from the seller and send copies of MSO and Bill of sale to Vermont. They'll issue you a plate, registration, and send you the documentation. Fees are based on what they calculate the actual value of the bike as. Cost me $108.00 to get a '96 900RR registered/plated, ownership in my name and FL will accept those documents to issue me a FL title.

gapman789 likes this.
  6. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

It’s a race bike. Unless you’re gonna tag it and make it street level why would you want a title? Seems pointless and an expense unnecessary for a non-streetable machine.

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Because in a lot of cases a bill of sale to an item with a VIN may not prove ownership.

8. HoyaXC07

Many reasons. To protect the value, potentially restore back to street from, or make it easier to sell later.

I didn't know about Vermont, I'll look into that thanks!

418 likes this.
  9. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

That's been a 'thing' for a while now on bike forums.

Kinda like getting an out of state registration for your SxS in South Dakota although you live in another state, and then driving said SxS on the public roads in your state of residence with a legal tag.

10. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Was this done recently?