1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motorcycle Insurance

Discussion in 'General' started by chobes, Jul 29, 2022.

1. chobes

chobes Well-Known Member

Are there any recommendations for insurance providers who will provide coverage for a bike that is used for street and some track-day outings? Any of them include actual medical coverage if/when something happens?

Current provider (State Farm) is less than helpful, won't stack any existing coverages, and won't cover a track bike for street use, or the other way around.

2. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Go figure.
    Good luck.

3. 418

418 Expert #59

Yes. Just don't remember who it is.

4. chobes

chobes Well-Known Member

Ended up talking with Progressive and they provided great rates: Liability, property damage, comp/theft, uninsured/underinsured, bodily injury, damage to riding gear, loss of work pay, etc. Two bikes ('96 F3 and '98 F3) for ~$2K/year, and that's with my son on the policy. Nobody else came even remotely close to that.

Razr likes this.
  5. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

My health insurance covered me when I went to the hospital from an off at a trackday.

It's "closed course training" something something.

A fair amount of insurers have an exemption for a "timed event" (i.e., a race) so make sure to read your policy well.

chobes likes this.
  6. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

A lot used to cover street bikes at track days. Not anymore. Too many idiots claiming every little scratch. Then again there also was a number of idiots racing their street bike, crashed at the track, then taking the bike out on some country road and tossing it out the back of a truck then claiming it.

Gixxerguy855 likes this.
  7. sdg

sdg *

Heard it discussed first hand. Pissed me off.

8. CLM81

CLM81 Well-Known Member

Hagerty Insurance covers track day and racing. Bike has to have a clear title in your name which seems to be issue for a lot of track bikes

chobes likes this.
  9. Gigantor24

Gigantor24 Member

Progressive insurance covered my 600rr years ago for a total loss due to a lowside at a track day..

Now I'm curious if that would still be the case?

10. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

FOREMOST covers bikes on track. I've been with them for years just for that reason.

I have $100k/300k limits, $500 deduct, accessory coverage, trip interruption, roadside, etc....

I pay right at $1000 a yr on these. They classify the Polaris as a 'street legal ATV' and is on my motorcycle policy.

'18 Aprilia RSV4 RF
    '16 Aprilia Tuono RR
    '13 HD Night Rod Special
    '18 Polaris RZR XP Turbo

chobes and 418 like this.
  11. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

Nope...Just like GEICO used to cover bikes on track, and that's when i went to Foremost.

Gigantor24 likes this.
  12. Gigantor24

Gigantor24 Member

Looks like 2 foremost reps very close by. Will reach out Monday.

Appreciate the tip!

13. chobes

chobes Well-Known Member

FOREMOST has been around since 1952, owned by Farmers. They'll be getting a call, thanks for the tip!

14. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

FWIW, me having actual road going insurance on my track bike (never cancelled when I converted from street) actually complicated the hell out of matters in dealing with my health insurance. They kept trying to say my auto/moto insurance should cover it, so that was about two months of back and forth before it got settled.

chobes likes this.