1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Americas G.O.A.T.

Discussion in 'General' started by This old Rz, Jul 28, 2022.

1. This old Rz

This old Rz Well-Known Member

Read the post regarding Schwantz, His riding always entertained ..but man if he didn't crash out every single time we watched him race..lol
    But Seriously .G.O.A.T honors, really leave only 1 American, It's not Revin Kevin, Not Roberts nor Rainey.
    It was owned & claimed by Eddie Lawson !

2 x AMA superbike champion.

2x AMA 250 GP champion ( same year as Superbike
    ( dual season).

Suzuka 8hr winner.
    Suzuka, was the world's greatest MC racing event. Hands down!

Winner of the "Race of Champions"

2 x Daytona 200 winner. Came out of retirement to win his last one straight up beating Mr. Daytona in the process

4 x GP World Champion. 1st ever in different makes in consecutive years, Leaving Yamaha, to race the evil notorious NSR500.

He just showed up, put in his game face and got the job done, with I believe the lowest DNF statistics of any top level rider. Like Mladin....just put up or shut up ...

Aw Hell ..I guess ya know who my idol was ..when I was young:flag::flag::flag:

Steeltoe, racer_11, CR750 and 6 others like this.
  2. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

My fake screen name on FB is Eddie Lawson so that my students can’t find me. Get all kinds of messages from people looking for him even though my profile pic is of palm trees! Met him at Mid Ohio when he was racing Indy car and no one had a clue who he was.

The Todd likes this.
  3. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Steady Eddie...for sure!

4. HPPT

HPPT !!!

For his next trick, the OP will be demonstrating that water is wet. :D

Schwantz always was my favorite, though.

fastfreddie and G 97 like this.
  5. G 97

G 97 Garth

Lawson is God

rapidzrx and stk0308 like this.
  6. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

I’ve always been behind Ben as my US Goat but it’s tough to argue with numbers like Lawson’s

Steeltoe and ungwaha like this.
  7. KS for pure entertainment, maybe not the best rider but one of the best to watch. Overall I’ll take Lawson as well.

8. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

I know a lot of folks say he is an ass but Roberts Sr. He laid the ground work for those who followed into Europe. Also Camel Pro on the TZ.....

9. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

Cal Rayborn

10. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

A serious case of "what could have been". If that Suzuki didn't kill him, he might very well have been the first American World Champ.
    If we're digging that deep then I'm putting forward Dick Mann as an option. Best all around American racer, ever.

Scott S., 969 and Slider82 like this.
  11. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Davie Stone

12. StanTheMan

StanTheMan Well-Known Member

I was in the grandstands at Daytona when Lawson beat Russell to the line on that Vance and Hines Yamaha. I yelled till I was hoarse. Good times. Would love to actually meet him one day.

13. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

They had a race at Cobo Hall in Detriot that he was in when we were kids. The intermission was kids on 80's So we got to race at Cobo and see all the fast guys (though on any weekend you might get someone like that to show and the Michigan dirt tracks back then)

stk0308 likes this.
  14. HPPT

HPPT !!!

What are you, under 30?

stk0308 likes this.
  15. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Based on everything I've read about the man, the phrase "don't meet your heroes" might be very, very appropriate here. He is the anti-Schwantz. :D

16. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

Definitely the bloke who made people in Britain realise that Americans really could road race.

stk0308 likes this.
  17. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

He's a good guy, just very quiet and reserved. Doesn't like the fame.

18. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

I have the same birthday as Eddie. I liked his taste in women. Here's one he dated for a bit.

[​IMG]

stk0308 likes this.
  19. 418

418 Expert #59

Guess two world championships in the same year don't count for much around here, huh?

No respect.

malamute and motion like this.
  20. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Agreed

418 likes this.