1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

things to do in Louisville KY?

Discussion in 'General' started by acorn27, Jun 30, 2017.

1. acorn27

acorn27 4 out of 3 people in the world struggle with math

My wife and I have wanted to check out The Bourbon Trail. We just had a flyer idea to head there this weekend. Are there enough other things in the area to do with kids? We can only give them so much bourbon...

2. barnacle bill

barnacle bill Darethea and B Bill

nice Zoo , Louisville Slugger Museum, Belle Of Louisville steamboat, Churchill Downs, Science Museum, Planetarium at U of L , Pedestrian bridge across the Ohio. Ko carts at shepardville, and Barnacle Bill's is just an hour away. have fun.

YamahaRick likes this.
  3. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Rd400racer is probably your go-to guy on this one.

Buell1965 likes this.
  4. acorn27

Hey great suggestions. Kids 17 (oldest) and 9 (youngest). Looks like quite a few things to keep everyone's' interest.

I searched but didn't find anything regarding hours of operation for the distilleries. Any idea if they run on Sunday, or what the hours generally are?

5. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

I love Louisville. You might try the search cause I know we have talked about it before. I have a boat on the river downtown.

You should check out what is going on at The Great Lawn. There is something every weekend. It is also fun to walk across the pedestrian bridge to Indiana. The stuff Bill listed above are good suggestions. I don't think any of the bourbon distilleries are in Louisville but they are close. It's fun to go down to the McAlpine lock to show kids how that works. They have a really nice area to watch tows going through the locks. All of the riverfront is nice in Louisville. You can rent bikes or even those cool 4 person bikes and go around to see everything. Like Bill said, The Belle is sitting there and the Spirit of Jefferson. 4th street is fun during the day but not great for kids at night. If you like baseball, the RiverBats games are fun.

6. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Careful, that might be @josh7owens home track. :D

omatter34 likes this.
  7. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

Tons of things to do with kids...
    The science museum downtown is awesome. www.kysciencecenter.org
    My kids love this place - www.houseofboom.us
    Depending in their age (mine are 9 & 6) they love going with us to escape games. https://breakoutgames.com/louisville/

For the Bourbon tours, I highly recommend Mint Julip tours. I am doing another one this weekend with my BIL. Woodford is by far the best tour. Makers is a very close second, and Buffalo Trace is my third choice.

cpettit likes this.
  8. barnacle bill

Falls of the Ohio museum just across the river in Indiana is great too . they have fossils, history of the falls and always some new touring exhibit .

9. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Pretty much everything has been hit above.

Now, if you want to explore the seedy underbelly, give me a call:D

10. barnacle bill

also several good churches in the area if you're taking those kids to church Sunday morning.

11. acorn27

BBS delivers again, thanks. A person can look at TripAdvisor and see what the top things to do are, or get it from a group like this that actually knows!

Thanks!

12. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

You could steal a pick-em-up truck and lead the cops on a chase through the corn fields in Indiana.

rd400racer likes this.
  13. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Don't forget to get your ass beaten by all 20 of those cops at the end ;)

14. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

Bring their bikes and go to the underground bike park.

cpettit likes this.
  15. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

That place is ludicrously expensive. My son was one of the test riders before it opened and he said it was a snooze fest. Cherokee Park is first class and free!

16. jschuster2

jschuster2 Well-Known Member

Don't they have those "dragsters" you can race at the amusement park next to the convention center? I think that would be cool

17. sdgers

sdgers Well-Known Member

Evan Williams Bourbon Experience is right down town. They have a tour and tastings with a small batch distillery on site.

18. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

I was there for a wedding ~10 years ago and we partied pretty heavily on whatever the main street is (6th street?), but was curious if there were any new recommendations.

[EDIT: I'll be there a week from today and have an afternoon and evening to kill before having to do actual work meetings all day Thursday]

Last edited: Jul 27, 2022
  19. vfrket

vfrket Lost Member

AAA team Louisville Bats have a nice stadium for baseball.

20. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

4th street.

It’s kinda fun, but I don’t know that I would recommend it. See the suggestions above or search for our previous threads on Louisville.