1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MotoAmerica I GEICO Motorcycle Superbike Speedfest I Laguna Seca - July/8-10

Discussion in 'General' started by motodog650, Jul 6, 2022.

1. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

So, I’m guessing there are no sponsorship issues, and these guys get paid to play versus paying $50-100k for the privilege of competing.

2. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

Cam Smith's winners check was 2.5 million, second paid 1.5 million, last place that made the cut 35,000. Total purse was 14 million dollars. Fields would be plenty full if you got 2.5 million for taking the checkers.

3. G 97

G 97 Garth

The fact that golf is more popular than motorcycles, doesn’t make it any less ghey. :D

Gino230 and Boman Forklift like this.
  4. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

Tells a lot of what you need to know about society... :)

5. Boman Forklift

Well most people can actually visualize themselves smacking around a little white ball, on a leisurely weekend stroll.

They know there is no way in heck they have the boys to tame a fire breathing motorcycle, traveling 130-189 mph at the track, before slamming it into a corner.

wsmc42, Dragginass and G 97 like this.
  6. HPPT

HPPT !!!

7. henry_carlson

henry_carlson BREAD_RACING

I was listening to the Paddock Pass Podcast and they were going on and on about the potential Yamaha seats in WSBK. They were also speaking about the wildcards the BSB boys did and they made reference multiple times to their lack of Electronics experience. That got me thinking about the national series and lead me to wonder the following... Do we think that the MotoAmerica racers would be predisposed to have less of a learning curve / a leg up on other series riders because they have this experience with electronics?

8. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

9. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

great info in this video about BSB bike vs WSBK spec bike

henry_carlson and MyWayGuy like this.
  10. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

It’s called money laundering

11. Boman Forklift

Seriously how does it work. If you money launder through a normal business, you increase revenues and pay taxes on the profit and have many cash deposits in the bank to pull back out clean money.

AT LEAST THATS HOW I THINK IT WORKS?

With racing, it is just a big hole in the ground you pour money into and light on fire. Where is anything coming back to Rich Energy?

12. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

you of all people should know how this works… Don’t you own a car wash?

Rising, Gino230, Senna and 3 others like this.
  13. Boman Forklift

Nope. Forklift company and next to no cash business, unfortunately.

motion likes this.
  14. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Diversifying your portfolio, I see, Walter.

418, YamahaRick and ungwaha like this.
  15. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

I think Moto America riders have a bit of an advantage when they go to the world stage after using similar electronics, but I believe they are at a huge disadvantage using the current spec tires. Specifically, the front tire.

16. henry_carlson

henry_carlson BREAD_RACING

Ahh very interesting, thank you!

17. Boman Forklift

I wonder which is harder to adjust to? I know they say really good riders can learn a track within a practice or two and I’ve heard the same with tires?

It also seems electronics are the most important aspect of a competitive bike/team at a super high level, sooooo maybe we are doing this part right?

ELECTRONICS:
    I know Aussie Dave told me the electronics on his current M4 bike felt so much better than what he had before. He said his confidence increased tremendously!!!

TIRES/SUSPENSION:
    Years ago when Tyler and Daytona Anderson were riding 2014 GSXR 1000’s. We bought a SS GSXR off Dave. While trying to get it setup for the boys, it was chattering like crazy.

However, a very experienced rider like Dave, could hop on it and ride it with the fillings in his teeth rattling. Per the suspension guru Lenny Albin we couldn’t get the oil level low enough to work properly based on that design of GP Suspension. Tyler and Daytona didn’t like it.

Neither boy could get to Dave’s lap pace. Dave knew it would stick while chattering like a jack hammer and would just push.

So as a fix, Dave put in a set of Adreanni cartridges and suddenly the seconds fell off and Ty could ride it. He raced that bike two weekends before we called it quits. He won the Suzuki cup money both rounds, yet would be horribly off pace with the GP suspension stuff.

So, a super experienced rider can more easily get around tire/suspension issues in my opinion, versus electronics issues.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2022
    418 likes this.