1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Old Dog meds

Discussion in 'General' started by Gixxerguy855, Jul 25, 2022.

1. Gixxerguy855

Gixxerguy855 Well-Known Member

I've got a 12 yo Border Collie that is showing her age. She has been prescribed Cosequin DS and Fish Oil by the Vet already and I'm asking what others have been prescribed. I'm looking for something additional to ease her uncomfortableness. This dog has spent her whole life running, jumping and playing ball and it's terribly hard to keep her down.

thanks!

Senna likes this.
  2. RossK6

RossK6 Grid Filler

That's tough, sorry for you pup. There's some anti-inflammatories out there. My most recent experience with a dog needing anti-inflammatories is with a dog that also has kidney issues, so the medication from the vet is different than that for a dog with normal kidney function.

3. flygirl

flygirl Well-Known Member

I’m sorry about your dog. I don’t know if this will help but when my cat was dying from cancer CBD oil for pets took her pain away and helped her a lot. Maybe for your dog?

Gixxerguy855 likes this.
  4. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

My dog gets movoflex once a day and 25mg of rimadyl. It’s a pain and anti-inflammatory medicine that has worked wonders with her. She’s 16 years old and this has made her act like she’s young again.

cxd10 likes this.
  5. yuengling910

yuengling910 Loose Cannon

Our 16 year old is on all sorts of stuff. The highlights are Movoflex as a joint supplement and Gabopentin and Ostimax for the pain. You can ask the vet about Adequan injections. I think its made for horses but they use it in smaller doses for dogs. It is expensive but we noticed a large improvement in his mobility when he was on it.

Senna likes this.
  6. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Metacam. Its a liquid Ibuprofen for dogs. Also look at Gabapentin on a daily regiment.

7. Gixxerguy855

Gixxerguy855 Well-Known Member

Thank you to everyone. I’ll have her feeling better in no time now!

8. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

I have had dogs my entire life, always active terriers. Amazing creatures. Phycox is a really good joint supplement available without a prescription, on Amazon or lots of other places. One "plug" a day. After a while they need more help. Gabupentin is a human anti-inflammatory that your vet can prescribe and you can pick up at your normal pharmacy, which is convenient. Carprofen is another helpful joint medication, vet only but affordable. If you see one particular limb being troublesome, or back issues (does not want to be picked up, or stands and stares at you when he/she would normally tear off on a walk) Cortisone shots are very helpful. Steroids should be avoided, but you would be amazed at the change in your dog's behavior - don't overdo it, and I don't think your vet will let you.

It's all about quality of life. Dogs are a huge part of my life and I try to understand when they are in pain, but a lot times you miss it completely because they want to please you. BCs never stop wanting to please and it's hard to retire them. When they can't amble out to poop or pee, time to make a change.

Senna likes this.
  9. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

I thought it was going to be total bullshit, but CBD seemed to help my last pup both with anxiety and joint health. Our vet recommended ElleVet as it actually has a study behind it to show efficacy. Drops or chews are available

Carprofen also helped my pup a lot, but you have to watch the kidneys on that one. We eventually swapped to Galliprant as it avoids the kidney damage.

Gabapentin was useful for a variety of things, but go easy on the dosing. We started out at 300 mg I think, and my dog was catatonic. Eventually we had to use the full 300 for evenings to tackle some CCD symptoms. It can cause some pretty severe rear leg weakness. Lot of trial and error for dosing on this one, but it is also very safe.

Best of luck to your pupper. I truly enjoyed my Lucky’s golden years. I still picture him in his 8-12 year old stage when I think of him, actually. So mellow and after years of being together, he could pretty much read my mind.

R1Racer99 likes this.
  10. CBRRRRR999

CBRRRRR999 Well-Known Member

Oldest doxie just got a two week scrip for gabapentin and carprofen. Got a rimadyl shot this afternoon.
    I wasn't watching close and the little dude jumped up on the bed wbich he had been unable to do the last week.

11. R1Racer99

R1Racer99 Well-Known Member

Not sure how much it helped in other ways but cbd stopped my old dog’s seizures, so to me it’s worth trying. Hadn’t thought about that in a while but fuck those were horrible.

CBRRRRR999 and Senna like this.
  12. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

I have a 14 year old border collie with the same issues. He takes an nsaid every day, but I forget the name. I can look when I get home. It made a big difference.

13. zbunny

zbunny Well-Known Member

Galliprant was a game changer for us and along with Gabapentin truly increased the quality of life our old dog had.

galliprant had fewer side effects than the other anti inflammatory meds and didn’t require monthly labs.

14. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

I had to put my former dog down due to cancer.
    CBD worked quite well to ease his pain.
    I still have 4 bottles left if you're interested.

Senna and R1Racer99 like this.
  15. gixxernaut

gixxernaut Hold my beer & watch this

Our aging maltipoo (Her name is Rossi, and the inspiration for her name was still winning championships when she first joined our family) gets a daily dose of Cosequin. It seems to help, but she can no longer jump up on the bed. She used to be an incredible jumper. Fortunately she still seems to have a lot of joy in life and we hope that continues for a long time.