1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Long Will An OEM Dealer Keep A Used Car (Not Their Brand) On Their Lot?

Discussion in 'General' started by YamahaRick, Jul 25, 2022.

1. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Looking at a vehicle out of state. A trade in (no doubt) where they are asking WAAY over book value. Like their initial asking price was almost 70% higher than book value, though it has now dropped to a mere 57%.

They have had it for several months. If it isn't sold to a sucker with a 96 month payment plan doesn't move soon, how much longer will they hold on to it before it goes elsewhere?

The car is 5-10 years old. I don't want to give it away cause someone here may snatch it. But it might be worth a plane ride for me to get it if I can negotiate a price much closer to book value.

2. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Sorry you're on the bottom of the pond dealing with the crap that is there.

[​IMG]

YamahaRick likes this.
  3. BC

BC Well-Known Member

They'll keep it as long as they think they can get more for it on the lot than the auction, or until it starts costing them too much $$ on their floor plan.

Robby-Bobby and YamahaRick like this.
  4. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Good thing you cleverly gave a 5 year window on the age of the car.. otherwise one of us would have figured out the exact car and snatched it for ourselves

YamahaRick and BC like this.
  5. YamahaRick

I know. You're a sneaky little shit, just like me.

[​IMG]

dtalbott likes this.
  6. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Or they are buried in it and don't want to take the loss at auction.

7. Kev59

Kev59 Well-Known Member

This is the most believable. Dealers are still giving crazy money for used vehicles. The dealer in Fairfax is offering my son in law $8K more than he paid them for his '21 Tocoma.

8. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

And in about 6 months when repo guys can't keep up with the banks' demands, those dealers are going to be boned. Dry.

12 - 18 months from now is going to be a great time to buy a used vehicle.

To give a little more evidence that just blurting out a bullshitass prediction :

AT&T stock tanked Friday, the biggest single day drop in the stock's history. Not because they missed earnings that they reported that day. They beat that. Not because they missed revenues. They beat that. They beat post-paid subscribers, and pretty much every metric except for one : free cash flow forecast, because people are getting more and more behind in paying their phone bills.

My wife is the call center VP for a pretty good sized credit union. They split car loans customers into three tiers. The tier that gets a GPS unit tied to their ignition system, they are about to stop lending to, period. The reasonable credit tier is WAY behind on their payments, and even the 6-7-8 hundred people are starting to show cracks.

Walmart just reported earnings today. I haven't digested the full report yet, but the stock is down 14 percent in aftermarket trading. Walmart.

Walmart. People can't afford to shop at fkn Walmart.

I am actually seriously worried about the viability of my avocation over the next few years. Talk about the very definition of a luxury service that you can do without! :(

Montoya and YamahaRick like this.
  9. YamahaRick

As I just posted elsewhere (and maybe here previously):

10. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

Depends on the vehicle.
    I don't understand obsessing over one vehicle, there are plenty of cars out there, another one will come along.

11. GarrettRick

GarrettRick Well-Known Member

In my experience , it’s 60 days usually
    It’s a delicate dance of playing with the floor plan vs fresh inventory

if it’s a hot unit , keep it on the floor until
    You get your sky high price . We had some cars in inventory for 3-4 months when it was a one of a kind . Don’t like the price ? Find another. Mic drop

YamahaRick likes this.
  12. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

That's kind of what I'm hoping, I'm getting to the point of having to start think about another truck, saving my nickels and figuring in a year or 2 when everything is in the shitter I''l be able to afford something.

13. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

Does the vehicle you’re looking at resemble this? If not, keep looking. An apocalypse survivor is what you need.

4757D972-D721-41EA-8629-E84D1DFE0959.jpeg

14. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

If you want the vehicle... why not go in & negotiate? Arent sales people always looking for leads?? Tell them you are a Glengarry lead. :flag:

[​IMG]

notbostrom likes this.
  15. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

There was a little more to it than just that.

Free cash flow was poor: AT&T brought in $1.4 billion in the second quarter, versus analysts’ average estimate of $4.7 billion. CFO Pascal Desroches told Barron’s that the shortfall was due to: Additional working capital was required to support subscriber growth—financing smartphones, for example; the year’s investment spending fell more heavily in the first half of the year; business wireline underperformed due to faster revenue declines and cost inflation; and customers are taking on average two days longer to pay their bills.

For a company of AT&T’s scale, that two-day delay meant $1 billion less in free cash flow last quarter. “We don’t assume that that gets better as we go through the year,” Desroches said. “If that trend continues and we are also growing more than we thought, we thought it would be prudent to take down the [FCF] guidance, especially in this macro environment.”

auminer likes this.
  16. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Bnpl is the next shoe to drop along with the tax and insurance bills on everyone's new houses

17. auminer

We bought a rental this year. I only expect its rental income to cover ~70% of our property tax bills this year, and possibly the full bill going forward. Texas is great for some things, but property taxes damn sure ain't one of 'em!

BNPL is the bottom feeder rung of consumer discretionary. They're gonna get moidered as they should. Rent a tire/couch/TV places as well.

Unless something big changes fast, 2008 is gonna look like a pick-a-nick. Thankfully, we are re-defining what the word ""recession"" means, though. :rolleyes:

tony 340 likes this.
  18. YamahaRick

auminer likes this.
  19. auminer

20. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Now would be a good time to take the bar and become a bankruptcy lawyer.