1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School me in property in the Bahamas

Discussion in 'General' started by notbostrom, Jul 24, 2022.

1. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Thinking about buying a home, need some advice

2. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

It will be underwater in 10 years. You-Know-Who said so.

3. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

There was just a hip hop hurrah story on 60 minutes about solar power in the Bahamas tonight. Electricity there is like 4x as expensive and these scam artists were yapping on about how solar was the answer.
    Anyways they showed some area that was full of Americans and how f’ed up it was after the latest storm.

If it was me, Dominican Republic (even if it was on the same island as Haiti), Belize (not as safe as it was) or find a way to buy in Cuba.

I looked hard at puerto rica but, f that shit. Lol

4. Kev59

Kev59 Well-Known Member

Have you spent much time with any permanent residents? Between the Chinese companies buying property and Haitian squatters, I'd look elsewhere. Lots of people still say Belize is a better option but the few residents I know aren't keen on their

5. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

What questions exactly do you have. I've spent about 6 years total living here off and on in the last 13 years working on boats and pretty much have been to all the populated islands. I just got back to Nassau after spending the last 2 months in Eluthera, Cat Island, Long Island, Concepcion, Rum Cay, San Salvador and Crooked Island. Is it a pure vacation home or are you looking to live and work?

6. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Who?

pickled egg likes this.
  7. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

Manbearpig

pickled egg likes this.
  8. HPPT

HPPT !!!

They moved it?

KneeDragger_c69 likes this.
  9. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Get ahold of James Sarles of Caldwell Bankers in Grand Bahama. He's a good guy.

10. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

Why not Puerto Rico? I just went a couple months ago and liked it.

Scott S. likes this.
  11. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Huh?

They probably would .

12. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

I don't think the government will allow it. They make a lot of money from electricity. My buddy was a finance guy for Atlantis resorts, they were trying to generate their own power and the Bahamian government wouldn't let it happen.

13. HPPT

HPPT !!!

You said it was of the same island.

14. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

It is. Hispaniola.

15. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Damn, man. :D

It is <> it was

16. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Ah, got ‘cha.

I like it there a lot but the more I looked into ownership there the more “issues” I found doing it.
    The place we liked a lot and visited a few times ended up becoming part of Jimmy buffet development and that was the end of it.

17. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

You should look into Guatemala. You would above average height there.

:D

18. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Is that where Lilliput is?

pickled egg likes this.
  19. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Was planning to buy in key west but prices are are stupid. Living in Florida the islands are easily accessible. We want quiet and near the beach. Ideally would love to just use a scooter and not need a car. Close to some nightlight but not smack in the middle of tourist town but don't want to slum it with the locals either. Maybe Bimini?

20. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Puerto Rico is run by scam artists. Avoid.