1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

C8 Corvette Reveal

Discussion in 'General' started by ryoung57, Jul 18, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

My old man has had every model of Corvette made since 1985, and every last one of them has been dead nuts reliable. I have no clue what Motion is talking about.

G 97 and tony 340 like this.
  2. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Our "bought new" '08 C6 base model 3LT coupe manual has near 90K on it. I've change engine and transaxle fluids...and batteries.

Problems? Eh. Some of it is just use/wear-n-tear, some of it is on GM.
    - It could have used an alignment from day one.
    - One fuel level sender and a halfshaft seal needed replacement after warranty.
    - The brakes could use an upgrade to the Z51 spec. Imperceptibly slight warping, but noticeable at times.
    - The OEM chrome 5-spoke wheels could be better quality. One rear has axial runout - may have contributed to the failed halfshaft seal. I suspect the aggressive manner in which the stability control slammed off the throttle during a slide accounts for it - like hitting a wall sideways - but who knows?
    - There was what I assume to be a trim screw rolling around behind the dash - it has subsequently found a quiet place to reside.
    - There's a stripped thread in one of the driveshaft tunnel plate bolt holes. The bolt may still be there, haven't looked since '08.
    - Door panel/fender interference upon full open. The paint has chipped away to provide clearance. :D
    - Replaced windshield. The car's low stature contributes significantly to sandblasting of the paint and windshield.
    - Recently noticed bearing noise in turns. Yet to be identified.

Chevy wanted to do two recalls.
    One for some ECU re-programming that effected EPA shit in conjunction with installing a different crossover pipe.
    One for headlight wiring.
    I said "No" to both. No issues.

Current modifications?
    Borla over the axle exhaust.
    Skip-shift eliminator.

Potential future mods?
    - Wheels. Unfortunately, BBS doesn't offer anything. $$$$
    - Brakes. Z51. $$$+(?)
    - Intake. Vararam. $$$
    - ECU flash. Mainly to deal with throttle position programming, but also to optimize the Borla and Vararam. $$$
    - Better stereo head unit. $$$$

Mind you, I have no issues with inclement weather as it has to do with driver ability. Some vehicles just aren't suited to handle flooded streets or unplowed/compacted snow. The 'Vette is one of those vehicles, as are countless others of varying body types/drivetrains.
    Can I get groceries? You bet.
    Can I go through a drive-thru? Yes.
    Can I get hours down the road at a moments notice? Absolutely.
    Can I count on going places unknown is wintery conditions? Eh. Probably not.

The real question is, would I buy another? Well, this one is still doing it's duty so, not yet.

3. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I imagine it was the same disappointment I experienced. It was pretty bland and cheap looking. Went with a friend in his to the Bloomington Gold event...which is a big thing to Corvette diehards. This was when the C4 was the current Vette. At that time the only Vette I liked was the C2..63-67 years. I've actually only been in a 69 Vette with a big block and stick, sorry @assjuice cyrus and this 84 ish C4 which may have been the version @assjuice cyrus would choose, I can't actually remember.

I'm pretty certain I would enjoy a proper Orange manual C7, like the one on here, or a C8.

assjuice cyrus likes this.
  4. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

I hear ya old man. Auto is a beautiful thing. Especially in the form of a 10 speed. :D

Boman Forklift likes this.
  5. Boman Forklift

No problem whipper snapper, in my days men carried their own balls and bought what they wanted. :crackup:

But in my old age I may someday buy a PDK, “pussified dumb kids” car.

6. fastfreddie

I'm glad we have at least one automatic. I cracked my left knee last Thursday and woulda been fucked trying to drive the 'Vette or the Jeep.

BigBird likes this.
  7. BigBird

BigBird blah

He changes them often because the old one may not last :p

8. Boman Forklift

I was out playing paintball back in about 2000 with a group of guys from work. I was stupidly playing in cleats, as a few of the guys I was going with did that and they played a few times a year. It was only my second or third time ever playing and first time with cleats.

So I take off running and jump over a creek, when I land to hide behind a rock I hear snap/crack and fell to the ground. I had worn lace up ankle braces per the main guys recommendation, who I worked with. The ankles were fine but I broke three or four metatarsals, right where the ankle brace stops. The cleats dug in, the ankle brace protected the ankle, all that force went right to the end of the brace and snapped them. It was my clutch foot and I had to drive about 35 miles from the paintball place to the hospital down by my house.

Fortunately the guy that set it up, grabbed my bad foot and laced up my cleats as tight as he could and told me don't take them off until you get to the hospital. I couldn't walk off the field, they had to stop the game and my buddy gave me a piggy back ride to my car. I actually thought i would have to use my right foot for everything, but amazingly I could operate the clutch with my broken foot. Yes it is California and I had bumper to bumper traffic for part of the drive, plus the 3-4 miles getting onto the freeway and same getting back off at the other end.

While there, I finally check my messages and I find out my wife was also in the emergency room, she had appendicitis. I make my way over to where she is and prop my bad foot up on a chair while waiting for her doctor. When the doctor comes in, he is confused and asks, who am I supposed to be working on here?:crackup:

9. fastfreddie

I have a metatarsal story, but I'm not gonna take away from yours. Suffice it to say, Black Sabbath, a hot rod '71 Camaro and a long drive home only to find myself locked out are the key points.
    Went to the hospital the next morning.

Yzasserina and Boman Forklift like this.
  10. Boman Forklift

Take away baby!!!! Sounds like we need the details.

11. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

My FIL has pretty much this exact car on order. He told me yesterday that he is down to number 800 on the list (he was originally at 1400 when he ordered). He currently has a '19 C7 with the Z51 2LT package (red w black interior). It is a very late serial number so one of the last of the front engine Corvettes.

Here is my conundrum... I don't even really like Vettes but he said he will sell me his '19 for what they will give him on trade. It seem to me like this may end up being a valuable car since its the last year for the front engine models. Am I wrong about that? I've never considered getting one but now this has the gears turning.
    vette1.jpg

G 97 and Boman Forklift like this.
  12. MV Rider

MV Rider Well-Known Member

I have an 18 C7 Grand Sport and enjoy it very much. In 18 they only made 9682 Vettes of which only 281 were Admiral blue grand sports. This 19 is a beautiful car but you would have to keep it for quite a long time for it to be a collectors car. I would drive it and see if you like it. It looks like a car that is very well taken care of so I wouldn't be worried that there is anything wrong with it. Many people who see my car say that they like it better than the C8 so I think there is definitely still plenty of desire for the front engined car over the mid engine car.

13. Boman Forklift

I agree someday they will probably be worth something, but that could be a really long time. I like the C7 and C8 looks, so if you would enjoy it, do it.

I had a friend in high school whose dad bought the 82 pace car corvette and just stored it in his garage. I think it is now finally worth a little more than he paid. Putting it in the market would be much better if your only goal is to make some money and you don’t really like the car.

The other benefit of a front engined car is if you over cook it a bit you can usually let off, which is the normal reaction and the rear end will follow the heavy front end through the corner.

Mid and rear engines cars will typically swap on you in that scenario. There are exceptions to every rule, but from what I understand that is pretty much how the physics of it all works, without traction control Nannie’s taking over.

14. LossPrev

LossPrev Well-Known Member

Manual or automatic? I'm guessing you've ridden in it if it's you FIL so maybe your mind is already fairly made up but I also was not a huge Corvette fan and now I own an '18 z51. Last year I was looking to get a Camaro ss 1LE or a Mach 1 new but they were impossible to find or marked up to stupid prices. Found a loaded '18 z51 manual at a local dealer with 6500 miles 1 owner, after test driving it and now owning I've become a Corvette fan.

I don't assume that they will be super valuable since they made quite a few of them but I do think they will age very well. The design and performance are kind of "timeless" imo.

Looks white but is actually kind of an interesting color, Ceramic Matrix Gray

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 22, 2022
    G 97 and Boman Forklift like this.
  15. BigBird

BigBird blah

DucatiBomber likes this.
  16. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

Is there a reason Ford chose the mustang platform for that awful suv?

I thought maybe it allowed them more time to keep ice in the actual mustang.
    Now that I see Chevy do it makes me wonder even more?

Is there some type of fed regulation they are getting around ? I find it weird they would both chose the platforms they did when they could of picked any or created a new line.

BigBird and R1Racer99 like this.
  17. G 97

G 97 Garth

My brother was a judge for Bloomington gold for @ ten years or so. He did the chassis and underneath and some other area like door jam or something for the 63 model year and alternate for the other mid years. He became jaded when rich dude would call him and complain that their car should have been certified and why he rated their car and how their restoration person said he was incorrect etc etc etc. Some were true enthusiast while a lot were just dude with money paying top dollar to try and get a gold certification etc. it sort of sucked the fun out of it for him. When 48 hrs was on TV they did a show on Bloomington Gold and my brother had a short interview. Cool story bro, I know. LOL. Edit, they also kind of ruined it when they relocated it to Springfield for a few years in 1995 or so.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2022
  18. Boman Forklift

That actually is a really cool story. Did your brother stay in Illinois when you moved to Iowa?

19. G 97

G 97 Garth

Nope, he lives in Ames works at the Chevy dealership. He’s a Camaro and Corvette nut. He’s trying to order a new C-8 but the dealer doesn’t have a current allotment or however that works.

20. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner