1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good bourbon?

Discussion in 'General' started by PistolPete, Nov 17, 2020.

1. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

@Boman Forklift pick up a bottle of Rabbit Hole Dareringer. It's barely whiskey, almost like a strong old fashioned right out of the bottle.

*edit: I misread, you don't like sweet. I think that Old Elk posted earlier would suit you fine

Boman Forklift likes this.
  2. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

I'll definitely try Rabbit Hole tho, thanks for the reco. I love me some sweet, to the point that I'll often mix Brown Sugar Bourbon right in to the bottle my Rye Of The Moment lol

JBraun likes this.
  3. ton

ton Arf!

you a Pendleton guy, then? It’s one that’s too sweet for my taste now, but I drank the hell out of it for awhile when I just wanted whiskey that went down easy

4. FastByKids

FastByKids Tire Warmers What?

Making me thirsty.

My buddy Jim and I relaxing for the rest of the evening.

[​IMG]

5. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

We need to meet up again, and drink some bourbon, scotch, Irish whiskey..yada yada yada!!!

I am by no means an expert. "What I remember liking was it wasn't sweet and I could drink it neat without a problem. I find the cheaper stuff of many brands isn't good enough to drink neat. I don't always drink it that way, but I never drink it mixing with something, other than an ice cube. However, in this thread, I learned at some point, I need to add a touch of water, and see how that compares.

I've never had an old fashion. I've heard people order them, but haven't partaken. I do like a good gin and tonic, but I think that maybe an entire different thread.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2022
    JBraun likes this.
  6. Boman Forklift

I would say you are 100% right it has a small amount of sweetness but it also has the little bite, I really like. For some reason I like it better than many bourbons, maybe because of the bite?

Now I will have to try the Makers or Crown I have in the next few days and do a comparison.

7. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

If you don't like sweet, don't bother with an Old Fashioned. They're basically just whiskey + sugar.

8. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

Crown Royal is a Canadian whiskey, which is gonna have a different taste from a traditional Bourbon. Canadian whiskeys usually include a significant rye component, whereas bourbon usually doesn't. Rye has a more aggressive, spicier, pepperier taste than the corn that bourbon is made from. Crown Royal is a bit in the middle - it's only got about 30% rye (as opposed to the usually 75+% in a spirit specifically labeled "rye whiskey") - so it's not gonna be as spicy as something like Basil Hayden Dark or Sazerac, but it's gonna have a lot more pep to it than Makers.

9. Boman Forklift

Well thank you for the info. What you described is what I love in wine. aggressive, spicy, peppery, sounds fantastic.

EDIT: Shoot now I’m going to have to try Crown Royal. Well @tophyr you called my taste buds. I’ve had this unopened bottle of Crown Royal for probably at least two years. I remember my dad liking it when I was a kid so I figured we may open it when he is out here in a few weeks for my daughters wedding.

I like it. Will try it again when it isn’t clouded by the earlier Jameson, but I think I may like it better than Jameson.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2022
    tophyr likes this.
  10. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

The best part about bourbon is when my neighbor comes over and drinks way too much of my stash, like blackout drunk.

So I kick the shit out of him before I send him home.

The next day, I’ll send him a text, “hey man, you okay? You fell down the steps on your way home last night … “

11. FastByKids

FastByKids Tire Warmers What?

One of the best things about switching to Bourbon has been my changed drinking habits.

When the Flu19 hit somehow I fell into the come home, crack open a beer almost immediately after walking through the door. Catch up with the kids day, start dinner , move to the garage, then towards shower time/bed time somehow I'm 8-12 beers in without even noticing. Apparently this is the definition of how beer can be "habit forming".

Now, around 7-8ish I'll pour a drink, and head to bed 9/10ish. No way you can drink this stuff fast (at least I can't). I've become much more tuned to the flavors of the different pours and blends by simply slowing down. Another strange phenomena is oddly I'm saving money. :D

Not sure how some of you are drinking this stuff to a black out point. That is kind of next level liver abuse!

Oh, @Boman Forklift --- When the better half has a pool party, day drinking Gin n Tonics goes very well with a hot day and a pool!

12. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

During the winter quarantine time it got a lil rough. I had about 60 bottles in my collection when it started, maybe 1/3 of that now. I remember waking up one morning still drunk feeling like there was something i was supposed to do. Looked at my phone and it was 9:55 and i had a 10:00 call with my colleagues in Germany. Threw on a shirt and a ball cap and turned on the computer. Holy shit that was rough. Your method is the right one.

13. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Challenge accepted!

14. Tristan

True, but he should try one and just ask for less simple syrup and more bitters. The orange rind aromatics and splash of dark cherry are nice.

tophyr likes this.
  15. Boman Forklift

Ok, challenge accepted.

16. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

Proof that Kung flu changes you.

DE62E303-8EFD-48E9-8BEF-FF306C653CE4.jpeg

17. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

Definitely explore more "rye whiskey" then. That's the taste you like. Crown is very mild, as far as ryes go.

18. Boman Forklift

Thanks man, I appreciate the education.

19. Tristan

https://photos.app.goo.gl/NGWgk9F4KpVmCJEr6

Picked these up a couple weeks ago on my way south. The 1783 is my go-to lately, most of others are new to me. They are all good (at their price points), but the surprise winner is the Benchmark. Cheap, but awesome nose and flavor, and not burn-y despite being 125 proof. It and the Broken Barrel I'd drink neat all day long. The JW Dant I wouldn't drink neat, but it's fine for a mixer and dirt cheap. Flatboat- very meh for the price. The double oak treatment elevates the Jim Beam just to acceptable levels, not something I'd seek out. I'll keep buying the 1783 locally, it's on par (a bit above actually) my other favorite- Old Forester 86.

rd400racer likes this.
  20. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

It's been decided that my favorite regular bourbon isn't going to be sold outside of Kentucky. So all of you Kentucky bbs peeps please drink my share of Evan Williams Single Barrel. You're welcome