1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MotoGP | 2023 | Silly Season

Discussion in 'General' started by BigBird, Feb 28, 2022.

1. G 97

G 97 Garth

Dude.

2. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Is Dorna a public company one can invest in?

motion likes this.
  3. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I just stocked up on yella smoke flares!!

motion likes this.
  4. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

The fanboys used them to hide where he was finishing the last few years.

5. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

New a guy like that. He was normally a maniac. One time he was being good all night. On the way to drop my brother off he banked off the train viaduct on purpose. My brother was what the hell? Maniac said he couldn't take it any longer.

6. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Official: Rins to LCR for 2 years.
    Apparently actually signed 3 weeks ago...

7. G 97

G 97 Garth

Hmm, it’s good since he’s still in the series but man, for his sake, I hope Honda figures some things out quickly post MM. My question is, does Honda simply ignore most of the development feedback from Bradl and just rest on MM to over ride the bike.

Suzuki leaving blows.

ducnut likes this.
  8. BigBird

BigBird blah

Not MotoGP, but Rea signed on for two more years ('23/'24) with Kawasaki

Senna and G 97 like this.
  9. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

Do we think he'll actually get a "full factory" ride with his HRC contract? I would think the "factory" bike in the LCR garage would go to Japanese rider they maintain to keep in the good graces of Honda. Does that mean Honda won't have a home grown hope in MotoGP next year?

10. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Good question, no mention in the announcement I read about the level of equipment offered.
    Honda doesn't yet have any homegrown hope at the present time.
    Alex M moving out may have saved Taka's seat....

11. COOP 1

COOP 1 Well-Known Member

yep

12. BigBird

BigBird blah

Not really. They can promote Ogura from Moto2 and still have a Jap rider

Senna likes this.
  13. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Well, considering that he turned down Gresini specifically because they couldn't provide him with a 2023 bike, which LCR could, I would guess that he did get as good a guarantee as one can get that he would have the factory stuff. Honda has got to be smart enough to know that if they only have one for that team, he is a better bet than the next rookie Japanese rider.

14. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

Damn. Was really hoping Rea would take a retirement job at HRC, possibly win a championship on another ship and get some one off MotoGP rides.

BigBird likes this.
  15. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

Yeah it could definitely be open ended. Surely a stint in a MotoGP factory even as #2 rider would pay many, many times what a SBK ride would in both salary and endorsements. SBK is great, but MotoGP is the big show with big $. I could see him pocketing 3-5x what he does in the supers. Even if he washes out will he really be that much worse for wear? Bautista and Redding were mid-packers in GP and seem to have landed on their feet. The marketing potential in Turkey of a GP star must be big, look at how well Kenan did with super sport.

16. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

After what honder and hrc did to him in the past the chances of that were slim and nothing and slim was most likely Marquez Money.

why would he leave Kawasaki? He’s getting motogp money and Kawasaki will make him the face of the company for years after he shuffles off to Arizona.

Quicktoy, stk0308 and BigBird like this.
  17. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I think you misunderstood me. I'm talking about a contract that says he will race for Yamaha for X amount of money. Could be SBK, could be GP. They could put them on the GP bike the second year and pay him the same.

I'm not saying this is SOP. But it has happened at least once.

18. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

From everything I've seen/heard/read about Toprak, he currently has no desire to go to GP. He feels he has nothing to prove and only wants to go if he's on a top tier package (and seems to imply he doesn't feel the Yamaha is that). This would also give credence to what Papa is saying regarding him potentially having the same contract regardless of which seat he's in.

Senna likes this.
  19. BigBird

BigBird blah

"For [Alex] Marquez and Di Giannantonio, both riders will be racing year-old GP22 machines next season, while Rins will be on full factory machinery at Honda"

"Mir to Repsol Honda looks set to be the next announcement to take place from the Japanese manufacturer, with the Spaniard also set to sign a two-year deal. "

https://www.crash.net/motogp/featur...nda-miguel-oliveira-rnf-aprilia-what-s-latest

20. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

Gotcha.

Surely his personal sponsorship would greatly benefit though? The profile of an average GP racer is 5x that of a leading WSBK guy. A pointy end GP racer probably gets 50x more than a pointy end WSBK racer.

I can imagine a 2-3 year stint in GP earning him more than an entire career in WSBK.