1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2006 Yamaha R1 LE With 6 Miles - What Will It Go For?

Discussion in 'General' started by YamahaRick, Jul 16, 2022.

1. G 97

G 97 Garth

Wise and just. :cool:

2. MotoGP69

MotoGP69 Well-Known Member

The way I see it, if a bike has 6 miles on it, it might as well have 10,000. If I’m buying a bike just to stare at it’s going to be 0 miles and never had gas/fluids in it.

3. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Garth, what’s the ballpark on those tires?

I have my Grandpa/Dad’s 1978 1600 Ford (bough new in 1978, 300 hours on it) and it will need tires eventually as the originals are pretty weather cracked.

4. G 97

G 97 Garth

I know they are Firestone, no idea on size. I believe they were @$350 rear and $150 fronts. Dad got them about year and half ago.

RRP likes this.
  5. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Probably should add 50% to that now.

G 97 and RRP like this.
  6. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

You know that will never happen, right? It's my understanding that for decades every bike made has been rolling road tested at the factory before delivery.

7. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I think my Tesi3D shows 0.0 on the odo, but I have started it.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  8. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

It would make sense for them to try to keep it under 1 mile so the overall OD doesn't show, but it means they have to be filled with fluids. Started. And ran.

And Tesi3D? That doesn't count, boutique brands can't risk the extra miles :D (this coming from a confirmed Europhile)

9. This old Rz

This old Rz Well-Known Member

Nice original condition..but I just do not see a GSXR pulling in more than. 6k...maybe 7 K maximum?
    Even in such good condition.

I get it some people , like original. I'm not one of them.
    I like pennies on the dollar enthusiast/race bikes.. My 97 SRAD 750, I paid $2000.00. a couple years ago
    That included.
    Sharkskins tail section,Corbin gunfighter solo seat,GSXR 1000 brake conversion, Fox shock, Yoshimura Hi mount race exhaust, Gilles rearsets, and a few other goodies..
    For me that's..the apple of my mind's eye ..

But he'll, it's worth what some are willing to pay, obviously.

So with that... the R-1 in question .. after thinking about it.. there really isn't a single new motorcycle made in the last 10 years or more (within my budget) that I would really want to run out and buy...not really? New R-1s and GSXRs are what 20k new with some aftermarket goodies?
    For me I would much rather have that R1 limited.
    6 ways to next Sunday..no doubt.
    Me No likey the cross plane

But I would buy it because it would be a bike I would prefer not because everybody's telling me it's awesome, it's cool,it'll go up in value, it's a collector's item it's rare blah blah blah.

I'm a working guy so I guess that pre disposes me to certain decisions.. on practicality
    I've had many a Cool motorcycle back in the day rz350 rz500 rg500 Kawasaki triple and a few others I didn't pay more than five grand for any of them.. and being that I had them and enjoy them when they were relevant I just really couldn't justify 25-30 k ?

But giving deep enough pockets, of course. Whom am I kidding.. there were a couple...likely many more...lol.

My short list ..
    Finish my RZ
    Finish my VFR
    Finish my SRAD

THEN ....The fun would begin..

RC30
    OW01
    Yep a TESI
    Bultaco Sherpa
    77RD400
    A bunch of CT70sA A bunch of YSRs

Triple restomod
    CB750 Daytona bike
    Vintage Harley
    Vincent..duh
    Money no object Suzuki NUDA..
    Suter 500
    Ronax500

Hey..I'm bored in my couch..watching Lawrence of Arabia I can daydream

Razr likes this.
  10. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

$18,100.... the market is definitely softening.

GarrettRick likes this.
  11. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

It’ll ultimately sell for $7200.

Break it down into components.

Utility price. Emotional/sentimentality factor.

The utility price is at most equal to a new R1. The cool bits aren’t cool enough to make any difference.

Emotional/sentimentality factor. This bike was made in the era of cheap credit when sportbikes were still the shit, and Yamaha and Valentino still ruled the world. No one cares about sportbikes, Yamaha is nowheresville aside from their French wunderkind, and Valentino has left the game to go make babies with his model wife (or whatever she is).

Sentimentality premium is worth maybe 10% at most given those factors.

Current R1 is 17,600. Account for tax and what not and call it $20k out the door. Add the premium, call it $22k. Not a chance someone will bid $25k.

Given how delusional most of these collectors are, it’ll never clear the reserve price and won’t sell. He’ll keep staring at it, relisting for silly reserves, and his heirs will eventually inherit it when he dies. They won’t give a shit, and will want to get rid of everything ASAP. It’ll be liquidated for $7200 at an estate sale.

cpettit likes this.
  12. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

Alot of the stuff at Iconic never hits reserve. Their classifieds are full of the bikes that didn't sell at auction.

It is a very cool place though. I was out there on business a couple years ago and stopped in. The owner Adam is super nice and will talk bikes all day long. Almost missed my damn flight cause i stayed too long!

evakat likes this.
  13. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Savage

14. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Update: Seller accepted offer of $20,000 post auction.

evakat likes this.
  15. This old Rz

I could see that.. That's really not bad.

For me (That is very LAST Yamaha) that would interest me.
    I've always liked that machine..and definatly the "old" 5 valve tech..lol..
    They sounded SOooooo much better than anything built since.
    Cost vs new bike..in many cases ..the Yamaha would be cheaper.

And nothing..looks as good as that bike, few if any sport bikes looked that good, only let's say a RZV500, or the 89-90 ZX,750. Have as much visual impact as that machine.

When ya get it right...it's just so damned good!

16. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

It's them wheels.

17. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

evakat likes this.
  18. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

My 21 R1 had O. Dealer let me take it that way, said he wasn`t supposed to.

Dealer is supposed to test.

19. Saiyan66

Saiyan66 Stand your ground

You can buy a new dash for these things and keep it in your toolbox until you are ready to sell. BOOM! Zero mile bike!

20. This old Rz

They NOW have just a few days later..A ZERO MILE 2006 LE ?
    Hmmmmmm would have been nice last week if they let somebody know that a 0 mile was coming up for auction ...they surely knew about it.lol
    It's all a $$ game...