1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rebuilding monoblock calipers

Discussion in 'Tech' started by DBConz, Jul 20, 2022.

1. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

any tricks to getting the pistons out? i'm used to split case calipers and it's so much easier to get the pistons out with compressed air. i would get one piston on each side pop out, then it would be stuck due to clearance. then getting the other pistons out was a huge PITA.

any tricks you guys do?

2. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

We have a few different brake piston pliers we use in the shop in various degrees of quality. I don't think any of them are a particular brand name. I also have a little Motion Pro tool that is hit or miss depending on what kind of calipers.

Something like this:

https://a.co/d/5IM3Shu

mpusch likes this.
  3. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

i have the Bike Master pliers and that's what i used to get the ones out that didnt pop out from air.
    was hoping there was an easier method, but probably not.

DmanSlam likes this.
  4. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

The Motion Pro tool is basically the same thing.

https://www.motionpro.com/product/08-0591

In my experience, how difficult the pistons are to remove depends on how long it has been since the last service. Calipers we do every season that the owners keep clean come apart easy. Calipers that have been on a race bike for six seasons that have never been serviced come apart with some protest.

5. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

true. mine tend to pop out easily. these ones are a set i got on eBay for a spare set

6. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

Ditto on the caliper/piston removal pliers. Best method I've come up with is clean everything I can reach, then pop them out with the pliers