1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School me on current sport tourers

Discussion in 'General' started by Jed, Jul 20, 2022.

1. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Ever since the demise of sport-touring.net I haven't kept up with what's going on in the ST world other than the Multistrada is king of errthang.

I'm looking at getting a new motorcycle for commuting, occasional runs to North GA, and some 2up riding from time to time and the possibility of the occasional track day.

With that in mind what are the opinions on the following:

Multistrada V2
    Multistrada V4
    Tracer 9
    S 1000 xr
    F900 XR
    GSX 1000 GT
    R1250

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  2. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

What about the Kawasaki

3. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Gold Wing

And act entitled to free tires.

4. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Versys 1k? Sure I'll add that for consideration.

5. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Only if you scream loud enough, lol

Once a Wanker.. and ducnut like this.
  6. Past Glory

Past Glory I still have several AVON calendars from the 90's

Are internet forums drying up/dying?

7. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

I’d add KTM’s SD1290GT into the mix.

I haven’t ridden all the listed bikes. However, I feel like the Multi is a pig between the legs. The Tracer is very compelling, but, their new dash setup is very dated, which ruins the bike, for me. Zack and Ari tracked an S1XR and everyone raves about its capabilities, outside the engine vibes. The Suzuki is very compelling, as well. The R1250 would be my pick of BMW, if forced into the brand.

I have a pretty badass ‘98 VFR, but, will gladly take something with a handlebar and upright seating position, for all the types of riding mentioned. On a recent trip to the Deal’s Gap area, I rode my Tiger 800 the most. It’s a very confident bike to ride, no matter the road surface, type of curve, or whatever. And, it gives up almost nothing, at reasonable speeds. We had a Tracer, two Tiger 660’s, two Versys 300’s, and a mess of other bikes in the group. The sportier stuff only gapped us on the straights.

Of everything I’ve ever ridden, my pick is a Tiger 900GT. It’s very good at about anything, slim through the tank and frame, reasonable seat height, very light for what it is, grunty engine, nice dash, great for 2-up, confidence-inspiring no matter the road surface, can be found for ~$10K, but, probably not the best track tool.

Senna and Jed like this.
  8. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

I just bought an almost zero mile 2019 Multistrada 1260. I like it, but it's kinda soul-less. It is very comfortable and very functional. All things being equal, I would probably choose the 1250GS.

I really think the bike for me is the KTM 1290 Super Adventure R. I might end up ordering a new one, but there will be a wait to get it.

ducnut likes this.
  9. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Best to take an extended ride on one, first. I felt like I was riding a hippo. The KTM’s owner commented he felt like he was on a dirt bike, when aboard my Tiger 800. Haha! They’ve got a kickass engine, though.

SteveThompson likes this.
  10. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

I've demo ridden both the current and previous versions of the GT9 Tracer, and plan to own one in the future. The Kawasaki seems nice also.

ts199 and ducnut like this.
  11. Yama-saurus

Yama-saurus Well-Known Member

Forgot the 'Busa with panniers.... :Poke:

Sudowoodo likes this.
  12. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

Maybe I just always want something different than what I have. :)

I rode the Multi 400 miles the first day I had it. It is very comfortable and capable. It's just kinda blah for a Ducati. I'm thinking I might do a full exhaust. Maybe that will put a little life in it. I've done a lot of miles on GS's and I still they they are the go to for large adventure touring bikes. We are getting off track from "sport tourers", but these bikes were on the OP's list.

I've seen a few outfitted Hayabusa's that I would say are the epitome of sport tourer. They seem like they would be fun.

ducnut likes this.
  13. ts199

ts199 Well-Known Member

I’m a little biased, ok a lot biased but I vote for the Tracer 9. I also want to throw in an oldie but a goodie, the FJ1300.

Once a Wanker.., ducnut and cha0s#242 like this.
  14. younglion

younglion Well-Known Member

Depending on the order of your preferences:

- R1250RS - tech, comfort, torque, looks (ish)
    - KTM 1290GT - similar to above but man that engine is sublime - 1290ADV if you're tall and come from a dirt background.
    - FJR1300 - proven, capable, reliable, aftermarket is huge.
    - Kawi Ninja 1000SX - most track focused but still all day comfy and capable of many miles - least 2-up comfort though.

15. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Good on you for calling these what they are... not the more fashionable "ADV/Super Naked" marketing terms. I haven't ridden any of the Euros listed, but aren't they in a higher price class than the Japanese bikes listed? I have a GSXS1K, and it's awesome and it seems the new GT version adds everything I'd want. Ridden the FZ9 and FJ09 and they pale in comparison. If I wanted to spend more I'd lean towards a SD1290 and add some bags. The SDGT is kinda ugly and the SA1290 is just...too much...like most big ADV's.

16. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

The Tracer GT gets my vote.
    Very versatile bike, awesome engine, very comfy upright position. And Yamaha reliability !

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  17. vfrket

vfrket Lost Member

@Tristan How's the Suzuki for the inseem challenged?

18. Booger

Booger Well-Known Member

Was in kinda the same boat this spring. I’m heading out on a 6 week trip to the rockies next week, and it was also time for a new bike.

I had narrowed my choices to a 2016+ Multistrada or a 2018+ Super Adventure S. I wasn’t able to find an SA-S for a reasonable price, but there are tons of nice used Multis for sale. Test rode a ‘16 Pikes Peak with a Termi. Fast, comfy, handled pretty well, and all around very competent. But it didn’t give me that tinglin’ in my nut sack.

Went a whole other direction and bought a ‘21 Super Duke R.

Balls are now tingling.

MachineR1 and ducnut like this.
  19. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Seems ok, not super tall and fairly narrow at the legs. Come check it out any time.

And the first time you have that unexpected wheelie that starts at 100 and you set it down at 130... your inseam will seem like less of an issue.

vfrket likes this.
  20. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

"The Kawasaki"....which one? The Ninja1000/1000SX, or the Versys 1000, or the H2 SX line?
    The Ninja1000/1000SX is a very sound bike. Lots of people putting some fun miles on it.
    I've got a little over 25k miles on a H2 SX SE as my primary sport tourer. I wish it was about 40-50 lbs lighter, it's 570 lbs! But, overall it's been a good sport tourer. The motor is bannnannnas. The electronics are pretty good. The cruise control wanders a bit more than I'd like. But, everything else has been faultless. The OEM bags are the same exact bags you get from Kawi for the N1k/1k SX, and the Versys 1000. Be sitting down when you price insurance!

Proper, sportybike with OEM bags, sport tourers are a dying breed. The the manufacturers are going to the sit-up-and-beg ADV aping style. Which I'm not really into. I can see how a LOT of people are finding them more comfortable. But, there are a whole pile of options there. Yamaha Super Tenere, BMW GS boxers, Triumph Tigers of 900 and 1200 sizes, Honda Africa Twin, etc.

I am intrigued by the GSX GT. Unfortunately the dealer network sucks for them more than Kawasaki does here local to me.
    I understand if you have a choice between the FJ900 and the more recent Tracer GTs, you want the more recent models. Throttle response is much better. The suspension is better, but you'll still want to upgrade it if your pushing it.

Once a Wanker.. and ducnut like this.