1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Damn, Biaggi tossed some live fireworks inside the Ducati office floor!

Discussion in 'General' started by HPPT, Jul 19, 2022.

1. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Ya know, for shits and grins I looked up the Italian Windbag’s results for 2008.

Pre-PI crash: a 2nd and a 3rd place finishes.

Post-PI crash: two 2nd place finishes, three 3rd place finishes, two races with fastest laps (including the very next race after the PI crash), and five, count ‘em FIVE DNF’s (including the race after PI where he set the fastest lap of the race).

Max’s problem is between his ears.

2. Michael Hausknecht

Michael Hausknecht Well-Known Member

What I read is that Biaggi had his contract with Ducati directly.

stk0308 likes this.
  3. MV Rider

MV Rider Well-Known Member

Analogy isn't even close. You do not sign a contract to buy cigarettes at the local store but he signed a contract to ride a certain spec bike in a dangerous situation and then was provided deliberately with a bike that did not meet that spec. Two completely different situations.

Boman Forklift and stk0308 like this.
  4. G 97

G 97 Garth

And in this case, Ducati wasn’t cheating. However, I don’t think they were operating in good faith but that is as much as DORNAs and WSBK faults as well.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2022
  5. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

Try rereading what I wrote.

6. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

This, yeah. It was an actively bad-faith decision on Ducati's part. That's a better way of putting it. Cheating is breaking the rules, and they didn't do that. But they did go outside the bounds of what I consider ethical competition. It's not something I would (or even could, obviously) officially protest about, but it's the sort of thing you'd shake your head disappointedly at someone for.

Me: <disapprovingly> Dick move, dude.
    Ducati: laughs in €20MM sales increase

stk0308 and G 97 like this.
  7. HPPT

HPPT !!!

This whole thing is interesting in that they cheated their satellite teams but not their real competition. There is nothing they were allowed to build that the other manufacturers were not. When Honda got tired of losing a few years earlier, they built a twin. They could have chosen to continue in that direction and even the playing field again.

8. ahrma_581

ahrma_581 Well-Known Member

Or a sucker punch.

(Am I remembering that right? These days, I don't know....)

9. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Bitch slap.

KneeDragger_c69 likes this.
  10. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

Mosquito bite, I recall it was.

KMC, Pixelator and stk0308 like this.
  11. G 97

G 97 Garth

Exactly but apparently Hondas appetite for throwing cubic dollars towards turd production bikes, in order to make them competitive, steadily waned. They went from producing limited number homologated bikes, to mass produced bikes as their race platform. Although the RC51 was successful in winning AMA and WSBK championships, as you know, Honda spent Million$ making them competitive. They similarly tried with the CBR before throwing in the towel all together.

12. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Having been a lifelong motorcycle racing fan, when I first got into F1 in the 90’s I was shocked they did this.

That crap never happened in bike racing, at least back then.

G 97 and stk0308 like this.
  13. Boman Forklift

Are you saying those Saturday night specials helped a certain Eyetalian win some MotoGP championships. I mean the Michelin logo does have yellow in it.:Putter:

stk0308 likes this.
  14. Boman Forklift

I really wish I was watching during these years. After Schwantz retired I got married and started having kids and must have also lost the channel that broadcast it? I do remember seeing some of the incredible performances by Doohan.

When did speedvision go away? I unfortunately missed most of the Biaggi/Rossi battles.

Even though I tease @motion and @Dave Wolfe about their super nutso ❤️ of Rossi, I like Rossi too. The only expensive memorabilia I have ever purchased is Rossi stuff.

I just get a kick out of laughing at the out of control fanboys.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2022
    Monsterdood likes this.
  15. Boman Forklift

Very true!!! But I’m not buying one because I’m a cheap f..k. Lolol

16. Boman Forklift

Or he was overriding trying to stay up with his teammate that had a better bike?

17. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Reported

KneeDragger_c69 likes this.
  18. HPPT

HPPT !!!

There actually was no punch at all. He was cut by a helmet face shield carried by one of Rossi's people in the crowded staircase.

19. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

LOL not even remotely the same.

20. HPPT

HPPT !!!

He lives!!! :D

Boman Forklift likes this.