1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Damn, Biaggi tossed some live fireworks inside the Ducati office floor!

Discussion in 'General' started by HPPT, Jul 19, 2022.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Race fixing is normal. Team orders anyone?

2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Cams

cha0s#242, YamahaRick and stk0308 like this.
  3. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

Eh. The rules were written to give them an advantage and then they used deceit to keep that advantage - that's the key factor for me. They broke no rule, I absolutely agree, and that's the fault of the rulemaking body: The rulemakers implicitly relied on Ducati always using all of their performance in order to detect imbalances, and that was clearly a severe weakness in the rulemakers' balancing plan. However what Ducati did was the sportsmanship (not legality) equivalent of running a 750 in a 600 frame and just not opening the throttle all the way all the time. Again, I agree with you that they broke no rule (making the 750-in-a-600 a somewhat poor analogy) but they deceived everyone into thinking they had no performance advantage when in fact they did. And I call that deceit "cheating".. just legally.

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

If legally cheating is wrong then every OEM and most teams are bad bad people :crackup:

Boman Forklift, Pixelator and ducnut like this.
  5. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

So Ducati needed a rider known to be fast but not actually going too fast in order to keep their power advantage? So Biaggi had an important role to play on the team, he just didn’t know it at the the time and he would have scratched for every fraction of a second during all sessions when the electronics guy could have just turned up the rpm and power a bit? Eeek. Considering Ducati’s actions could negatively affect his reputation and future earning potential, and make him ride at or over the edge to try and compete, it sucks. I get it. Think about if your company undermined you and then you get a bad performance review and bonus, you’d be pissed for sure. But for the record, I’m not a big Biaggi fan, he was mean to VR46 lol…

6. 418

418 Expert #59

This kind of reminds me of when a Gobert said he tested the Muzzy Kawasaki before he signed the contract and it was an absolute rocket ship.

Then once they got to the race season the bike he had didn't feel nowhere near as fast.

Not too long afterwards the Raptor 850 came out.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  7. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

Idea for hot pit crossing safety: those on a team can cross as needed with credentials. If they do something unsafe, dock them time/money/points/position. Anyone else has to cross at a designated crossing with official present.

8. G 97

G 97 Garth

I would argue that legally cheating isn't cheating.

9. G 97

G 97 Garth

AMA had these type of provisions in place as far back as I can remember.

10. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

cool. I'm all for rehashing old ideas if there's a way to make it work. I do think it's cool for those interested in the sport to see the action from pit wall, but I don't want to see anyone needlessly get hurt.

11. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

Ducati did their job, the rule makers didn’t do theirs. Tough luck. Sucks for Max, but if I were in Pretzel man’s fine Italian shoes I probably would’ve done the same thing. Preserving the advantage is way more important than having multiple contenders.

12. Rico888

Rico888 Well-Known Member

Cheating is cheating…
    Nothing else to say…
    No justifications, no excuses…
    Yeah, we can just say it’s racing….all teams/individuals squeezing all they can out of a rule book or a motor, pushing the limits on what is legal…
    Still cheating…

13. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Pushing the limits on what is legal…

It’s still cheating…

Whooooooosh!

14. nd4spd

nd4spd Well-Known Member

Smokey Yunick…

15. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Chris was spot on. Poor sportsmanship. Perhaps that's an antique concept to some but it's sadly missed in today's world.

Michael Hausknecht likes this.
  16. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

Are you racing Harleys in the CRA by any chance?

Robin172 likes this.
  17. MV Rider

MV Rider Well-Known Member

Technically it is not cheating but it is very unethical to hire a multi-time world champion to ride for you, ask him to put his life on the line and then deliberately set him up for failure on a bike he has no chance of winning races or a championship on. Sure doesn't make me want to run out and buy a Ducati and I really like Italian bikes.

18. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Its unethical as hell, but at the end of the day, Ducati are racing to win and sell bikes. Riders come and go.

19. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

I'm not saying what Ducati did in this instance is right, but if we all start buying motorcycles and cars based on whether a company has made every moral decision correctly, we'll all be walking everywhere. I don't think selling cigarettes is a great moral choice but that doesn't stop me from going into the corner convenience store to grab a pop and a bag of chips.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  20. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Did Ducati hire him or did the team?