1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Decendents

Discussion in 'General' started by britx303, Jul 13, 2022.

1. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I think I listened to too much east coast and Brit punk. But I did listen to the Germs, X, Minutemen, etc. Guess I somehow missed the Descendents.

2. Greg ZX6R

Greg ZX6R Well-Known Member

I think you mentioned one of your sisters went to my high school some time ago, and that got me thinking about how the music kids were listening to there was different when I transferred in mid 1989 compared to what they were listening to at my previous school. Didn't realize southern Anne Arundel county was so into punk music.

3. backbone

backbone scarred for life

'Merican is awesome
    And when trying to impress nonpunk girls I'd throw in some Descendents, worked every time. :)

4. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I’d wager you’ve heard them even if the name escapes ya’.

yougores the following songs: Wendy, bikeage, coffee mug, silly girl, without love. . . That’ll get you started and maybe hooked.

when you’re ready, give ALL a listen. She’s my, sheereen, long distance, then you can try their weirder stuff (like Frog). :D

rd400racer likes this.
  5. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

We saw The Descendants when they were touring Everything Sucks in 96'. Always dug their sound and Karl Alvarez' bass playing. I wanna say Suicide Machines opened that show.

RRP likes this.
  6. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

That sister and I were born and for the most part raised In Annapolis before moving to southern AA. But our parents were souf’east DC transplants, and we spent time growing up there too with other family. We jumped around a lot to say the least :D

7. iagsxr

iagsxr Well-Known Member

Watched this a while back. Super interesting

Attached Files:

backbone likes this.
  8. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

It's also kind of an interesting movie. George Clooney's wife has a boating accident and slips into a coma. While she's out he finds out she'd been having an affair on him. Got a decent Rotten Tomatoes review.
    https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_descendants_2011

[​IMG]

9. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I watch it every time I come across it on TV.

10. backbone

backbone scarred for life

They spelled the movie title wrong :P

11. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I watched that steaming pile of pretentious monkey shit on a flight.

12. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

i like those songs Marriage and Hope (hilarious combination there). they aiiiii...

13. britx303

Well?...........whats the album/band etc.? I'll dig around. Im trying to think of the people that were around when I was staying with one of my sisters and her ex, that was one of the main 'zine guys around the DCHC scene since right near the beginning of it all. I ain't dropping names though. they bounced between silver spring & tacoma park, so really right there.

14. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Autoclave

15. britx303

Gave 2 songs a listen. Yeah, this is the sound everybody went to by the time I was staying briefly with that sister. Everybody had gotten far from HC altogether. There were a couple other chick bands or lead singer were chicks. Rest Area? i think was one and cannot for the life of me remember another bands name from that time period and area, but I always get a damned song stuck in my head, and I haven't heard it in 30 years. That stuff wasn't my cuppa tea but kudos to them for getting out there. Then there was Phantasmagoria that was a place in Wheaton, I think.......I was always piss drunk leaving. But that place was a place where up and trying kids could still have a place to play/jam. I think it was owned by one of the guys from Iron Cross????.........so again, theres that dischord connection.

16. Aweasel

Aweasel Well-Known Member

Yes sir,

Discovered them on the old punk o Rama comps. Those and other label comps were the best to find cool bands you'd never hear otherwise. Hellcat had some great comps too. Comps were great, they were always cheap and had the best few songs from tons of bands with like 25 tracks. I still have a bunch of em. I reckon the foundation of my library circulation today was built by those comps. Unfortunately a lot of those bands aren't on Spotify! For example if you like descendents you'd like the methadones but their first 4 albums aren't even on there! Whack

17. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

I knew there was a reason I liked you…:D

18. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

:beer: