1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

(Automotive) BMW Knowledgeable Folks: I Need Your Insight

Discussion in 'General' started by YamahaRick, Jul 12, 2022.

1. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

For the past 18 months or so, I've become interested in buying a late model, luxury "Saloon" car (4 door) that has a V8 motor. It needs to have strong potential to hit 200MPH with limited mods. For some reason, going 200MPH (certified) has been on my mind.

This started when I read about a guy using a Mecedes E63S AMG to set a new Cannonball record. I really like that car, and targeted getting a 2014-2016 model. Of course, once I started a serious search, their prices went up, to a point I considered unreasonable.

Next option was a Jaguar XF or XF-R. But they are in limited numbers, and support resources specific to Jag are limited.

As much as I like to rag on "Bimmer" owners (why is it "Bimmer" and not "Beamer"?), I now have under consideration an Alpina B7. 4.4 liter V8 with about 540HP. I admit I've always liked the Alpine Blue color. But DAMN that engine has had a lot of issues!

I will limit my search to a car with the N63TU or newer version of the engine. I may have found a decent candidate. I'm hoping the owner wants to get rid of it asap, but is not aware of the BMW TSB that may cover its issues. I'm also looking for, among other things:

• Low mileage car
    • Documentation of regular oil changes with intervals of 10K miles or less (5K miles preferred)
    • Recent brake job on all wheels (that's about $2K I believe)
    • Rust free (of course)
    That being said, what should I be concerned with in buying a used Alpina B7?

I don't look forward to attending the required training:

upload_2022-7-12_10-36-0.png

TIA.

2. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

What is your budget?

I have an E39 M5 that is supercharged and supposedly makes 540HP. I sold it to Tyler, actually part of it was his graduation present and he paid me for the rest. He lives in Manhattan and it just sits covered in my garage and has appreciated in value quite a bit over the years. I leave the battery disconnected and put a charger on it every so often, actually put a new battery in it within the last 6 months. I take it out every other month for a small drive to keep everything working well.

IT IS FAST, but an electric Tesla will beat it, I presume, haven't raced one. I did smoke the AMG C43 we have.

It only has 44K original miles and it had 42K when I bought it. Modifications include an ESS VT-560 supercharger, Kelleners Sport exhaust, custom headers, rear diffuser, front splitter, Dinan strut braces, Quaife 3.73 limited slip differential, UUC short shifter, lightweight flywheel, Vorsteiner GTR hood, Stop Tech brake kit, BBS wheels, Rogue Engineering transmission mounts, and more.

We removed the carbon hood it had and put a stock one back on and the front splitter, but I still have it. Looks more original this way.

IMO, it looks extremely nice and is that pretty BMW Avus blue from that era. The original owner supposedly put over 100K into the car. It has suspension upgrades and it has 4 or 5 point belts, so he could track day it. I don't actually know if he did, but I presume so.

I'm a sucker for modded shit, so that is how I ended up with it.

Wingnut likes this.
  3. YamahaRick

Sorry Rob, but that sounds waay over my initial budget. I'd love to drive it one day.

Why not list it on BAT? Or Miles and Mods (I think that is the name)?

4. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

Cars are Bimmers, motorcycles are Beemers. I don’t make the rules that’s just how it is.

You better be prepared to spend a metric ton of money to get that whale up to 200 mph.

Senna likes this.
  5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Bimmer is because it works with a classic yankee wasp accent.

YamahaRick likes this.
  6. Boman Forklift

Actually it isn’t really for sale. But you kind of described what my son actually already owns, other than I doubt it would go 200mph in its current stage. I tried to post some pictures but couldn’t make it work before I left on the road.

It also has the V8 BMW which seems to be one of the more reliable motors BMW has made. I got in touch with the builder when I bought it to see if I needed to baby it. He claimed it is very stout and built very well, there shouldn’t be any issues. I have gone 160-165 as I recall, but would need to look at the speedo it could have been only 140-145?

It did have a belt tensioner lock up and unfortunately when that happens it can snap off the snout, which it did. I think that was 6-8k by the time it was all done. That actually happened to Tyler, when he was in San Diego with it, not even getting on it, just the luck of the draw.

Fortunately for me, Tyler owned it then, so that bill was all his. My wife felt bad, but since he makes more money than I do, I said I’m glad it happened to you instead of me. :crackup:

YamahaRick likes this.
  7. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Why not just build a Drag Car if you want to go 200 so bad? Many more options to chose from.. Now to set up that car for road racing would be ideal...

8. YamahaRick

This car will probably be my last to experience performance at that level (I'm getting old). A requirement is for it to be street legal. Knowing I'm driving a vehicle that can go 200MPH while headed out for pizza will have to be what I consider exciting.

TLR67 likes this.
  9. GarrettRick

GarrettRick Well-Known Member

B7s are badass ! Very zippy and smooth .
    Also consider an s63 sedan or coupe , Bentley gt (you can get them cheaper than you’d expect )
    Renntech makes fun mods and tunes for the benz - dinan for bmw .
    Buy with warranty if you can or find a good independent . The dealers get real proud of their service rates . Cool thing about Bentley’s is it’s Audi /vw parts so
    You can do most yourself . I used to do garage brake jobs on Bentley’s when I worked at the dealer , I would charge $1k and it was still $1500 less than the shop. Audi is making some fun stuff these days , if you went a little older an rs4 is about the most fun you can have with your clothes on

10. prm

prm Well-Known Member

The youtube video of Tommy Kendall and Hans Stuck running 190+ on the Autobahn in M6s is entertaining. Looked like they were headed for 200 before hitting traffic.

iomfan likes this.
  11. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

It takes a lot of car to do 200mph.

JBall and sdg like this.
  12. Boman Forklift

13. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

I think you want a 2017 Audi S6 with a stage 2 tune in it. This isn't my buddy's, but his is basically identical.

https://www.augustgarage.ca/670-hp-modified-audi-s6-with-unitronic-stage-2-tune/

Not sure about top speed, but that thing will move your ass (even my rotund ass) back in the seat with a quickness and I'd be SHOCKED if that couldn't get you to 200mph (assuming the 155mph stock limiter is removed).

14. YamahaRick

I'm not too keen on Porch/Audi. But will look into it. But anything Das Auto doesn't move my needle too far.

15. Boman Forklift

It no longer has the front splitter or the carbon hood. In a perfect world I would probably remove the rear wing as well, so it looks more stock.

16. 418

418 Expert #59

N63TU reliability is suspect at best, isn't it?

17. YamahaRick

The TU was a vast improvement over the original N63, but it still had issues. There's a current TSB that addresses the issues. My hope is to find a low mileage car where the owner is frustrated with things that are corrected by the TSB.

https://bmwtuning.co/bmw-n63-vs-n63tu-vs-n63tu2-vs-n63tu3/

18. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

Any thoughts on selling? Price if so? I’d be interested.

As for the OP. You need to be a measochvist if you want that engine. The inverted V with the turbos in the valley are a huuuge nightmare to work on.
    the rule is bmw i6 are reliable for the most part and to stay away from V8s unless they’re the older m60/s60 variety.

19. Boman Forklift

I will ask my son, a couple people have expressed an interest, but I know he doesn't want to pay $800 a month for a garage in downtown Manhattan and he really loves that area and the M5. Unfortunately for him, he bought it thinking he was going to live in LA and then got the opportunity to work there so he bolted for the city. He has owned it for a few years and only been able to drive it 3-4 weekends.

I'm buying a Lotus Exige 260 sport and I told him I needed his POS out of the garage. I think he was shocked I would say that, since he knows I love that M5. He said, well I guess if I really have to, but you have a 4 car garage with two cars in it, can't you just get rid of some other stuff instead. So I asked about getting rid of his mountain bike and road bike.:crackup::crackup:

Then I told him I could make room I was just messing with him. :D

Senna likes this.
  20. Boman Forklift

How much was the Alpina B7? I will say from what I have read, if you want a sedan that feels sporty with great front end driving feel the E39 is one of the best sedans ever. I owned an E36 back when it was new and that drives wonderfully as well. The newer stuff with electric steering just isn't as good. Supposedly even the GT3's of new don't have the excellent hydraulic steering feel like the old cars.

That's one of the reasons I wanted to try the Lotus. It is only 2k lbs. and has manual steering with no hydraulic or electric assist. Supposedly it is amazing and I cant wait to find out. It sure is a pain to get in and out of, but should be worth it, for the feel.