1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Putting website video on your tv

Discussion in 'General' started by StanTheMan, Jul 12, 2022.

1. StanTheMan

StanTheMan Well-Known Member

Ok, I know that just asking this question puts me in the ‘elderly people that can’t handle technology’ group, but I don’t know how to have MotoGP. Com or WSBK.com play on my tv. I used to be able to use Apple mirroring to play content from my iPad to my tv, but for some reason it hasn’t worked for the past couple of months. I just got a Roku Streaming Stick 4K. But I’m just trying to figure out how to have Roku play live and video content from the above-mentioned websites. Anyone able to talk me through what to do, in simple, easy instructions? Remember, I’m now in the ‘elderly, technology-impaired’ group. Thanks in advance to anyone that can help me.

2. nd4spd

nd4spd Well-Known Member

Buy an AppleTV and download the apps.

3. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

4. SpeedWerks Racing

SpeedWerks Racing Well-Known Member

Best buy, get a basic "Chromecast" dongle for $30

5. Hondo

Hondo Well-Known Member

I use a lightening adapter to hdmi cable

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Chromecast dongle, run the video in Chrome on your computer and click the cast button. Cheap and easy.

7. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

I have an Amazon fire stick which has an app for MotoGP, but for WSBK I use the "Silk" browser that comes loaded on the fire stick and it works fine. It's a little cumbersome the first time but once you save the "no spoiler" link it get easy. Streaming quality and speed is fine.

I would think Roku would have a similar browser, and if not you can download one.

BigBird and SuddenBraking like this.
  8. G 97

G 97 Garth

You can’t cast YouTube with chromecast dongle.

9. Bugslayer

Bugslayer Well-Known Member

HDMI cable from your laptop to the HDMI input on your TV.

beac83, DJ Baker and badmoon692008 like this.
  10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Through the app or through Chrome? Either way the Roku stick he has I believe will do a YouTube app so that is covered.

11. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Wut? That's like, its primary advertised use case. I do it all the time.

12. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

The new macbook pro rocks. I can use airplay to connect the TV as a second monitor. It upconverts to 4K for bike races and I can still do stuff on the computer while running full screen to TV. Only limitation is I have to use a second browser if I want to surf while watching races. Watched race two of the AMA 400's at Laguna that way last night.

13. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

This... However a Smart TV makes all this look silly... Just get a smart TV...

14. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Web browser on a 'smart' tv is never updated and will quit running motogp fast. They update some but poorly on most.

15. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

An HDMI cable is about 100X less expensive than a new TV.

16. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

For any content provider that doesnt have a Roku app, cast to your Roku from the iPad in the same way you casted to your TV.

rd49 likes this.
  17. G 97

G 97 Garth

When I go to YouTube there isn’t a chrome cast option, at least for me.
    90511514-5259-4499-8EE6-80FFBB3FCC84.jpg

It shows up on other apps like Pandora but not on YouTube.
    95624E8A-A326-4205-93D8-CEDBED26B732.png

18. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Here, lemmie help, it won't be in the airplay options:
    Screen Shot 2022-07-12 at 4.09.08 PM.png

19. G 97

G 97 Garth

I know that, but it’s the only option that shows up in YouTube app. The chrome cast option doesn’t appear. So you are able to cast you tube using chromecast on an IPad?

20. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Yeah, I hit the icon indicated by the red arrow in your screenshot, and can build up a queue of vids to watch on the cast, or I hit the icon while watching a vid to switch to watching it on the cast.