1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone running one of those Champion dual-fuel inverters with electric start?

Discussion in 'General' started by sbk1198, Jul 11, 2022.

1. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

Having some issues with mine and have some questions. Contacted their customer support but haven't heard back yet, and figured in the meantime I'd turn to the beeb because surely there are a couple of people here who use them :)

2. Sundaydisco

Sundaydisco Crooks Racing

I have been using a 3500 watt for that last five years, and have taken it semi apart to do some work to it.

sbk1198 likes this.
  3. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

The exhaust is too restrictive. Tear it off and enjoy the dbs.

TurboBlew likes this.
  4. sbk1198

The problem I'm having is on the gasoline side. With propane it starts and runs like a champ, whether I use the electric start or pull rope. On gasoline though it doesn't want to start with pull rope, only with electric start, and then it just drains the battery because if I let it run for a bit, then shut it off, I can't turn it back on. Not enough juice to get it going again. I keep having to jump start it. And that was with a freshly charged battery. Also while it's running, if I shut off the battery switch the generator dies then. But I know it didn't use to do that, and on propane it still runs even if I turn that off. Customer support just replied and said I need to clean the carburetor. Not sure what that has to do with the electrical system...I feel like the guy who replied has no clue.

5. Sundaydisco

Mine never wanted to start using the pull cord even when new. While using electric start I always had to choke or 1/2 choke it to start. I did mess up last fall and left fuel in it over the winter and thought I was going to need to replace the carb but was able to it to clean out with a heavy mix of seefoam and fresh gas. That said the plunger on the bottom of the carb needed to be hand cleaned to work properly. Easy to remove and clean. Second there is a filter in the line connecting to fuel tank to the carb on the tank connection. Mine also will only shut off on propane when you cut the supply. The battery shut off should activate the plunger that I was taking about on the bottom of the carb. Yours could be suck or sucking at times. Hope this helps

sbk1198 likes this.
  6. Sundaydisco

I also had to replace my battery but it was five years old.

7. sbk1198

Thanks for the info. I will look into that after this weekend. I just didn't think the carb would have anything to do with it since it ran fine with electric start. I thought there would be something wrong with the charging system. I bought mine in 2018 but have probably only used it about 10 times at most.