1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bagnaia blows a .87

Discussion in 'General' started by RS250Ape, Jul 5, 2022.

1. henry_carlson

henry_carlson BREAD_RACING

it seems pecco and gp have moved on per twitter today. as a result, im gonna guess a zero or 1 race ban. Additionally, Dorna was so pleased to have saved the title race by summer break they wont do much to get rid of that narrative.

on another note, has anyone on here done or posted about the survey?

2. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Since the thread about the survey?

henry_carlson likes this.
  3. henry_carlson

henry_carlson BREAD_RACING

damn they down bad then if this is the first i see of it. they are pushing it today and have pecco on the official shit. thank you tho popppps

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

All of the limits being discussed at this point have been about mg/l or mg/100ml of alcohol to blood. His reading in the report linked here is based on blood, not air, hence the mention of being over the .5 limit in Spain.

No one is arguing the .25mg/l of air as it hasn't been mentioned until your post.

US and Euro breathalyzers can and do estimate your BAC based on the alcohol/air measurement.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Okay that is just too funny - I was wondering what in the world was causing all this and the report in the initial link has changed, that explains a TON of the back and forth. They originally posted the BAC limit in Spain of .5 not the air one of .25.

Yes, the air one of .25 changes things. Puts him much closer to triple or more the .5 limit.

6. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

I'd blame unfamiliarity with the drinking establishment.

7. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Whatever works. :D

8. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Or the pain killer rant from Edwards (classic and funny)

9. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

Not to inject potential facts or anything. This is secondary information, my Spanish is spotty.

https://www.thetravelblogs.com/spanish-driving-laws/

He might have bigger issues than whatever slap on the wrist Ducati is likely to give him. Sounds like he’s liable to end up in the clink. Do they let famous sports stars skate like in America?

If he gets 3 months in jail, he’s not going to take next year’s championship either unless he serves it this year. He should just plead quickly so he can get out of jail before testing for 2023 starts.
    :crackup:

10. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Jesus Christ! I would have liked to have met alot of you when you were 25 and every decision you made when you were out drinking was a smart one.:crackup:Yes, driving when shitfaced drunk is stupid and fortunately no one got hurt. But I would almost guarantee that the reason most people on here did not find themselves in a bunch of trouble in their youth was more good luck than good management. It just seems strange that everything I have read about Bagnaia seems to indicate that he is a very polite, respectful young guy that gets along with almost everyone. And he is a clean racer that does not do a bunch of shady shit on the track. But some almost seem to want to hang the kid.

If it was a race weekend then I could see Dorna and / or Ducati getting involved but it is summer break. Fining and/or race bans seems a bit excessive and quite virtue signally while he is on "his own time".

Bruce, BigBird, jksoft and 1 other person like this.
  11. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately your comparison has nothing to do with the price of tea in China. At 25, I am guessing 99.9% of “us” were not representing a major motorcycle manufacturer and multiple related products to the public.

12. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Not only that, but what does drunk driving have to do with "polite"? :crackup:

13. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Being polite is a good way to avoid getting your drunken ass beat down...

BigBird and crashman like this.
  14. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

+1....I've been through 5-6 field sobriety tests from 21-30.....2 in the same night, but never a DUI.

I was the 'responsible' drunk driver....We'd go to da club on the wknds and i would always be the one to drive, my choice...I didn't want to be in the car with a drunkass driver. I would always stop drinking about midnight....leave at bar-thirty, go to Dennys or White Castles or whatever, and go home. By that time, 4 hrs has passed since my last beer and i've got a full belly of White Castle goodness soakin' up the Little Kings or Red Dog, whatever was in style in the '90's.

But i would get pulled over for speeding or swerving because i had a car full of people with the party still going and the steering wheel would be in my chest and/or a chick sitting on the center console and chit.

I was always 'borderline'. Cop would either let me go, or tell me they were going to follow me to the house and i'd better keep it between the lines. One instance cop asked if anybody else in the car was able to drive, and a chick with a broken leg drove us home.

Lucky shit like that. Decided to quit pushing my luck and haven't drank since 2007.

Bruce, YamahaRick, BigBird and 2 others like this.
  15. HPPT

HPPT !!!

That was always my experience as well. If I was going at night, I was driving. I was always scared of sober drivers, and absolutely terrified of drunk ones. One alcohol drink maximum for myself. Most times, just soft drinks.

16. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

It seems likely that a presentation of stories from those of us that had been that 25 year old, that made it home, could exceed the Beeb's bandwidth.

BigBird, Boman Forklift and crashman like this.
  17. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

So even during break while doing nothing that involved Ducati or MotoGP he is expected to be the paragon of virtue at all times? At the end of the day he is a 25 year old guy and just because he has a shitload of talent you think he should be treated more harshly than a member of the general public? That is a pretty idealistic way to look at things. I guess times are changing without me because IMO Bagnaia getting drunk and smashing up a car seems pretty meh and I have no time to look at minor shit like that and try to work myself up to the "outrage" that many seem to crave. Quite honestly I am way more concerned about shitty drivers that have licenses because of our woefully inadequate licensing requirements.
    It has alot to do with him being very difficult to dislike and despite his current predicament still being able to do the PR bullshit part of his job...

Boman Forklift likes this.
  18. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Yes, he is a brand ambassador for Ducati and his sponsors. Look he is not a kid, he is an adult. If you are going to get paid whatever it is he is being paid, these sponsors have made an investment in him to represent them. Right or wrong his actions reflect badly ( i.e. making a shit ton of money and in essence not being mature enough to handle it) in the public eye and that is not what sponsors are paying him for. Lol, you like shifting the conversation away from your weak position, first to, but he is polite to inadequate licensing requirements now. :crackup:

19. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Blowing over 3X the legal limit is poor decision making for anyone. Most people just aren’t that stupid, much less a world class MotoGP rider.

20. A. Barrister

A. Barrister Well-Known Member

Absolutely. they say half of accidents are caused by drunk drivers. But, what does that say about the other half of the accidents caused by sober drivers?

Sometimes I think it is safer to be drunk when driving. /sarcasm