1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another car thread. Wanting a sports car. Which one?

Discussion in 'General' started by assjuice cyrus, May 26, 2022.

1. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I know that’s what I liked. I haven’t ridden street in a few years so this would kind of give me the rush. But that car choice is over.

2. wera313

wera313 Well-Known Member

I was in a similar situation wanting a GT4. A couple years ago I mentioned that I’m interested to the Porsche salesman who I bought my Cayenne from. Fast forward to beginning of this year, I decided to get on the order list with that dealership. $15k ADM and would be about a year to get an allocation… frustrating but get the supply/demand dynamics. There is another local dealer who sells at msrp but the wait is even more silly.

so, I decided if I’m really going to spend this kind of money then I want to be sure… I haven’t heard of any place to test drive let alone actually get a feel for the car. Booked a session at the PECLA. That’s money well spent. Learned a lot and got a great feel for car on skid pads, autos and road course at decent pace. Still on waiting list but will probably opt for 992 GTS instead… the GT4 was amazing though. Highly recommend; especially if you’re local to SoCal.
    [​IMG]

3. Boman Forklift

I did the Porsche experience last year or the year before, Tyler bought it for me for for Father’s Day. I agree it was bad ass!!!

I did the GT3, at that time there wasn’t a GT4 available, but I do see there is now. They actually gave me the two car experience, but I spoke with the instructor and figured I would enjoy the GT3 more than the 911 turbo. He agreed so we never switched to the turbo.

I was impressed how well the GT3 was stuck to the road. Porsche handling has come a long way from the old 911 and 930 I had.

wera313 likes this.
  4. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

Just had this thing for about a month while I worked on it for my boy. Thing is a fucking BEAST. He put about 30k into performance mods alone before he handed me the keys. You couldn’t downshift one gear without it growling like a dragon on the dtc rev match. Man that shit was fun to have for just a little bit. unfortunately I wasn’t stupid enough to really drive it how it was meant to driven. Didn’t need to get someone else’s car impounded or worse even, wreck the fuck out of it.

Attached Files:

5. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

~20 years ago I watched a pro race at Laguna and saw a an Audi (R)(S)(RS)?6 spin in that corner and have been afraid of it ever since. That corner is evil.

6. beechkingd

beechkingd Well-Known Member

7. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

It is where many spins happen, little further down right after apex. Almost every track day somebody ends up in wall between 9 and 10. Last time I was there month ago car got totaled there. And he had to pay for fixing wall as well. Laguna charges for any damage to track.
    50/50 cars tend to snap. Personally I prefer little understeer.

cBJr likes this.
  8. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

My wee brother Pat, took part in Global Tuner Grand Prix about 8 years ago.
    Ran 1:38.5 in his Subaru.
    How does that stack up?
    T'was his first time there with shitty conditions and one day of practice.

TWF2 = Zoran?

Boman Forklift likes this.
  9. TWF2

Getting in to 30's is fast, not track day times. I hope I can get there with mustang but don't know if I can find another 3-4 sec with current set up. Need real tires as well and rubber is expensive lately.

10. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

HPF guys were awesome. (Orange M3) Patrick was having breaking issues on his test day.
    My brother and I left the car at the track and came back next morning.
    The HPF guys replaced Patrick's pads and bled the system.
    Sheesh, just looking at video from the event, it was almost 12 years ago.

11. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

@Boman Forklift

You ever get your situation handled? Do I need to fly out and put the assjuice smack down on someone?:D

12. Boman Forklift

Actually sent BAT another email this morning. I first emailed them Sat July 2nd and instantly got the canned we received your email response. Then you have the holiday, so by today I should think they would reach out.

So as of right now nothing, unless they already credited the charge and didn’t tell me, but what are the odds of that?

I realize I could have electronic access to my charge card, but I need to remain a dinosaur in some aspects of my life . :D

Last edited: Jul 7, 2022
  13. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

You could like...call. From a rotary phone even.

14. Jed

Jed mellifluous

To anyone -- would you -- https://www.carfax.com/vehicle/WBAEC7405H0608122?

87 BMW 635Csi

One of the sexiest cars ever made imo. It'd would be a short commute daily while I get the LX squared away. Then maybe a little resto mod on it. Updated brakes, suspension, an engine tweak or rebuild to reach 300hp is it's not too stressful on that motor.... Based on carfax registration info it looks like its a two owner. The price history shows the seller sitting on it for 14 months and dropping it 2k in June alone.

15. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

80s BMW.

Can you spin a wrench? If not no way.

beeb rule #43 Never own a BMW or Audi out of warranty unless you can fix it yourself.

16. TWF2

The one before that, E9 yes. I would take 2002 over that boat.
    635 motor is good as long Boman Forklift is never near it, one overheat and it is gone :). I had E28 for lemons racing and we used 633/635 motors.

Phl218 likes this.
  17. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Wrenching on anything but engine internals is fine with me. I had an e36 M3 that was fun to dink around with.

ChemGuy likes this.
  18. Jed

Jed mellifluous

The E9 just doesn't have the appeal this one does.

There are some good tuners in the area. Brakes and suspension I can handle at home. I'm thinking of a bit of a sleeper...

19. BigBird

BigBird blah

i was always a bit hesitant on that car. glad you didn't take over someone else's project, errr headache. That's a lot of coin for a one off fab thing. Get a Cayman and call it a day.

20. Boman Forklift

True but that takes some effort and it is easier to just email BAT and see what is up. The statement won't come for awhile so I have a few days to sort this stuff out and don't feel like holding on line with the cc company for 15 minutes.

I will text you my cc number, you can call for me. :D